Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, aceydawg, anamnesis, ando, 42 invisible), 1778 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1285121 - 10/11/09 09:08 PM Yamaha CLP 930
Prams Offline

Can someone tell me if it is worth paying $600 for a CLP 930? It is in excellent condition.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1285196 - 10/12/09 12:15 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Prams]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Not sure how old the CLP-930 is. Does anyone know? Ten years, maybe?

The specs put it below the CLP-320, which is today's bottom-of-the-line Clavinova.

The CLP-320 model has 3-level sampling.
Even the YDP-160 has 3-level sampling (around $1300).
The CLP-930 has only 1-level.

So the 930 is not such a swift piano.

#1285316 - 10/12/09 07:15 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: MacMacMac]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
It's about 9 or 10 years old (circa 1999-2000). With the rapid advance in technology, a brand new Casio PX-130 or Korg SP-250 would have much better specs at about the same price. If it's in excellent shape and you're still tempted, I wouldn't pay more than $300 or so. Even at that, the seller would be doing ok. How much would you pay for a 10 year-old PC?

#1285442 - 10/12/09 12:33 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Geoffk]
Prams Offline

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, we were obligated to buy it from them and ended up paying $600. It's a long story and we lost the money.

#1285837 - 10/13/09 01:37 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Prams]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
Well, don't listen to Geoff, he's aboslutely spec-obsessed.

There is a sizable number of people who insist that the Yamaha action and tone of ten years ago was in may ways better than what is available now, so don't despair. Casios and Korgs may have better specs but they have a looong way to go until they sound as good as a Clavinova!

#1285904 - 10/13/09 05:32 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Martin C. Doege]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
I wouldn't say I'm "spec-obsessed". People want to objectively compare instruments, and, to the extent that's possible at all, specs are a good place to start. And specs do make a difference. Better speakers or a better action really are objectively better. And age is important too. A 10 year old car costs less than a 2 year old one (or a new one)--for good reasons.

Anyway, your point is well-taken. Even though this wasn't a great bargain, it may be a perfectly fine instrument that sounds good and plays well.

#1286125 - 10/13/09 12:32 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Geoffk]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Originally Posted By: Geoffk
I wouldn't say I'm "spec-obsessed". People want to objectively compare instruments, and, to the extent that's possible at all, specs are a good place to start. And specs do make a difference. Better speakers or a better action really are objectively better. And age is important too. A 10 year old car costs less than a 2 year old one (or a new one)--for good reasons.

Anyway, your point is well-taken. Even though this wasn't a great bargain, it may be a perfectly fine instrument that sounds good and plays well.

Comparing the amplifier/speakers etc. based on specs alone is easier and more objective, tone and touch are more subjective, so it's a bit misleading to argue just on the base of which acronym a given action is using. I think I've read somewhere in a Yamaha product review that the new GHE action (e.g. on the P-155) is not as good as GH from years ago. I don't know if that's true, in principle they should be more or less the same. Then again, it could be that Yamaha is using lower-cost plastics in their latest DPs, less metal to make them lighter etc. Workmanship and build quality do not necessarily increase over time, so it's certainly possible that older models might feel more solid to the touch.

Therefore, I wouldn't automatically assume that the latest product line of a company always completely trumps everything that came before, especially when comparing a high-cost-but-older Clavinova to the entry-level DPs of today I think it might be a tie.

#1286133 - 10/13/09 12:41 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Martin C. Doege]
gerardo1000 Offline

I compared a Yamaha ydp 223, which was introduced seven years ago, with some new digital pianos, including Yamaha 140, Casio Privias, etc... and I agree that the YDP 223 sounds better and has a better action.

#1286177 - 10/13/09 01:42 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: gerardo1000]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Originally Posted By: gerardo1000
I compared a Yamaha ydp 223, which was introduced seven years ago, with some new digital pianos, including Yamaha 140, Casio Privias, etc... and I agree that the YDP 223 sounds better and has a better action.

Yes, I've also tried the 223 at GC recently and liked it. The keys had a very solid feel to them without seeming heavy.

But basically I've liked all the Yamaha actions I've tried so far, so I think sometimes a bit too much fuss is made over the supposedly huge differences between GHS/GH(E)/GH3/NW. To me they feel all quite similar (i.e., similarly enjoyable), despite their design differences. And in contrast somebody who prefers the heavier touch of a Casio would probably dislike them all more or less equally.

#1286186 - 10/13/09 01:56 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Martin C. Doege]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I compared NW and GH3, which should have very little differences between one another, but to me one felt like a piano and the other one didn't. I think its all up to the person playing.

#1286187 - 10/13/09 01:56 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Martin C. Doege]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
double post

#1286209 - 10/13/09 02:20 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 930 [Re: Victor25]
Martin C. Doege Offline

Originally Posted By: vvanrij
I compared NW and GH3, which should have very little differences between one another, but to me one felt like a piano and the other one didn't. I think its all up to the person playing.

Yes, but I think that "feels (exactly) like a real piano" is a slightly different criterion from "feels nice and playable", which is more important to me. For weight reasons alone I think it's clear that e.g. a stage piano will always fall a little short in terms of the first criterion, but can still be wonderful in terms of the second.

And of course acoustics aren't all alike. So that comparison is always a little difficult, because it depends so much on what people are used to. There are those that claim a Casio action feels "exactly" like their acoustic, and there are those that make the same statement for Yamaha actions. And to me the differences between Casio and Yamaha are far grater than between the different Yamaha actions, although like I said I agree that e.g. the 223 is pretty great. Perhaps NW is even better still. But I don't find it difficult to adjust to any of the Yamaha actions, even a good Roland doesn't feel all that different to me except for its shallowness (are they trying to emulate a fortepiano?). Casio is another matter...

Besides, what exactly is the action on the 223? Is it a separate development? I can't seem to find details on that. It just says "premium GHE", but where is this supposed to fit in the spectrum of GHE/GH3/NW?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
So when someone offers you a free piano you........
by Dennis R in WA
Today at 03:29 PM
Technique for embellishments (1-5-3 roll)
by DeadPoets
Today at 03:09 PM
Mason Hamlin AA Vs Schimmel Classic C189
by blueeyes2014
Today at 02:29 PM
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
Today at 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
Today at 12:38 PM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159422 Topics
2341892 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission