2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 208 of 452 1 2 206 207 208 209 210 451 452
S
S
I played Alouette a few days ago. It is described as a French folk song, but I thought it was French-Canadian (given that the Montreal football team's name is Montreal Alouettes). Wikipedia describes the song as French-Canadian, first published in a songbook in Montreal but probably of French origin. Apparently used by the voyageurs in the fur trade to make the paddling seem easier.

Too bad that the Alfred's book doesn't include the lyrics (in French) since they are very simple - although a bit gruesome.

F
F
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Howser, "Good People" was a tough one. I dropped it and came back to it later a few times before I got it down.

fliper, I had fun playing the LH version of "Saints", but found the RH version very awkward at first. That's great that the DVD has a true piano sound. Maybe Alfred was listening to its customers. I was very disappointed in the CD that came with my book.

I had fun too playing the "Saints" both versions. I also had fun play "I'm Gonna Lay My Burden Down" with LH (as the book) and then with RH too. I really liked this piece.

I don't like the CD too. I read this thread from the begining and I don't remember someone says "I like the CD". But Alfred liked very much because the DVD also have the same songs in mp3 (same version of CD).

As self teaching the DVD help me a lot in details as dynamics and rythm.

Now I am in "A Friend Like You" - Page 51. One more little step further wink

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

I just started this week, and can play up to page 30. I know music theory though, and play guitar, which helps. One thing I'm doing right off is playing with a metronome.

Chris
2004 Petrof IV
1920 Ludwig Upright
Too many guitars to list
F
F

Welcome to this thread ChrisTF and keep us informed about your progression.

I am shure that your knowledge about music theory will help you.

I started piano with a keyboard Yamaha PSR413 playing from an old book called "Piano Magic" and from Gil DeBeneddetti web site, but without counting and without capability to play with a metronome.

Now, I started Alfred AIO book and decided to count and play with a metronome. This took me a long time but it helps me a lot to play at correct rythm.

As there are 3 versions of Alfred Adult Piano, can you please refer the piece name instead only the page?

F
F
Originally Posted by seaotter7

Too bad that the Alfred's book doesn't include the lyrics (in French) since they are very simple - although a bit gruesome.

You can find lyrics in French here
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/alouette.htm

Originally Posted by fliper

Welcome to this thread ChrisTF and keep us informed about your progression.

I am shure that your knowledge about music theory will help you.

I started piano with a keyboard Yamaha PSR413 playing from an old book called "Piano Magic" and from Gil DeBeneddetti web site, but without counting and without capability to play with a metronome.

Now, I started Alfred AIO book and decided to count and play with a metronome. This took me a long time but it helps me a lot to play at correct rythm.

As there are 3 versions of Alfred Adult Piano, can you please refer the piece name instead only the page?

I just learned Jingle Bells today, sight-reading. smile So I'm up to that page.

Chris
2004 Petrof IV
1920 Ludwig Upright
Too many guitars to list
F
F
Originally Posted by ChrisTF

I just learned Jingle Bells today, sight-reading. smile So I'm up to that page.

Jingle Bells is the first piece to play with RH and LH together. For me it is a landmark.

I am not good with my memory, but after decide to count, it is more difficult to me play a piece (even a simple piece) from memory.

I play guitar by ear/memory, so I can memorize pieces, though, I'm really trying to sight read, and not just memorize for now.

Chris
2004 Petrof IV
1920 Ludwig Upright
Too many guitars to list
M
M
I started yesterday, i am at "Jingle Bells" Gosh, it is so hard. I could only play about 15 minute per day.

F
F
Originally Posted by ChrisTF
I play guitar by ear/memory, so I can memorize pieces, though, I'm really trying to sight read, and not just memorize for now.

Ok. I understand now smile.

Originally Posted by magicbug
I started yesterday, i am at "Jingle Bells" Gosh, it is so hard. I could only play about 15 minute per day.

Welcome to this thread magicbug.

Play first only RH. Then only LH. Then RH and RH together slowly until you play all notes right. Then you can play faster at up CD rythm.

If you have trouble in one part of the pieace, play only that part until you play it right, do not repeat all peace again and again.

S
S
Originally Posted by fliper

You can find lyrics in French here
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/alouette.htm

Thanks for the link to the Alouette lyrics. I'm plucking the poor little lark now!

M
M
ok jingle bells and a few other simple pieces are done, now at Mary Ann

F
F

You are doing well magicbug. Hard pieces become easy fast to you!

I am at Cuckoo - page 59.

Interesting to see that PianoNoobAlexMan do not play the second time "piano" in "Love Somebody" and do not play the second time "LH one octave lower" in "A Friend Like You".

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=PianoNoobAlexMan&p=r

M
M
Hey Everyone,

I decided to pick this up to use as a supplement to my lessons. I just finished Jingle Bells.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."
Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just in time for Christmas. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I just purchased this on Friday night, I was using Fundamental Keys and although it is a great book I was wanting something that was a bit more in depth for somebody not using a teacher. Love it so far, I kinda wish I would have started with it from the begining 6 months ago when I started to play. Like I said FK is a good book with great pieces, it just seems it would go better with a teacher's help, wanted a bit more insight into chord construction, etc. It could be because it seems a bit more geared towards classical study then and all around aproach. If anything the pieces in FK will be great to pair with Alfred's. I've thumbed through ALfreds and so far it looks like it will be right up my alley. Im up to page 42 smile. Although with already having played for 6 months thats not much of a milestone, lol. I look forward to posting here in this thread. Talk to you all in the future.

Last edited by Spitfire; 10/28/10 10:44 PM.
One question I do have, and this is more of an all around question. Where do you all sit normaly at the piano, do you sit in the center or do you center yourself at middle C. In FK it is noted to sit with middle C in the middle of your body but i always wondered if this is just done in the begining to familarize yourself with middle C or if it is the correct way to do it forever. I'd imagine its best to sit wherever is most confortable but was wondering where you guys and gals position yourself.

I've always told my students line thier nose up with middle C. Of course, some shifting is bound to occur during certain songs that have sections primarily in the bass or treble.

Infinity
Pianist and Teacher
West Orange, NJ
www.pianolessonsnj.com
There is a book by Howard Richman titled Super Sight-reading Secrets. In it, Richman advises piano players to sit at middle D (specifically, he advises players to sit so that their navels are aligned with middle D) because middle D is at the physical center of the keyboard. When I first read this suggestion, it seemed as reasonable as anything else, so I started sitting at middle D.

However, and I didn't think of this at the time, my left arm is a little shorter than my right arm; I would've been in better symmetry had I sat at middle C after all!

But yes, I think it's a good idea, especially for beginners (like me) to always sit in the same spot while at the keyboard. Doing so will help develop a sense of the relative distances of all of the keys from the location at which one sits.

EDIT: The center of the keyboard on a standard 88 key piano is actually somewhere between middle E and middle F. I measured my piano's keyboard!

Last edited by molto_agitato; 10/29/10 03:59 PM. Reason: correcting faulty information
F
F

MartinJB, Spitfire, welcome to this thread.

Originally Posted by mom3gram
Just in time for Christmas. :-)

mom3gram, I'm glad you are still posting here. Are you ok with Book 2?

Originally Posted by Spitfire
One question I do have, and this is more of an all around question. Where do you all sit normaly at the piano, do you sit in the center or do you center yourself at middle C. In FK it is noted to sit with middle C in the middle of your body but i always wondered if this is just done in the begining to familarize yourself with middle C or if it is the correct way to do it forever. I'd imagine its best to sit wherever is most confortable but was wondering where you guys and gals position yourself.

I sit in the center of piano.

Page 208 of 452 1 2 206 207 208 209 210 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission