2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1289588 10/19/09 01:23 AM
D
OP Offline
D
When I play my DP, the windows are making resonance. I can hear the window vibrating and it is annoying.

I am only playing medium level of volume. Is there anything I can do to reduce/eliminate the resonance?

TIA!

Dave
T
T
Originally Posted by DaveInMichigan
When I play my DP, the windows are making resonance.

have you consider switching to Mac?

A
A
Certain frequencies make certain things in your room vibrate in sympathy. Since you cannot change the frequency the piano is outputting (only the magnitude by lowering the volume or using headphones) then your only other option is to prevent the object from rattling somehow. Maybe foam as a wedge could reduce the window's ability to vibrate.

E
edt Offline
E
change the resonant frequency of the window. a window will normally be around A5, you can ping the window with your finger and listen. so first of all ping the window with your finger to listen to the frequency, then get some clear tape use it to tape something to the window, then ping it again to make sure the resonant frequency of the window changed. If it doesn't change, try using a heavier object or change the placement of your object, until it has a different pitch. I bet your window is exactly at 880hz, and if you can get it to 778 just a bit off it should quit vibrating.

at least that's the theory, I dont know how well this works in practice :-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tremens
Originally Posted by DaveInMichigan
When I play my DP, the windows are making resonance.

have you consider switching to Mac?

Or maybe upgrade to Windows7

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
B
B
When I read the headline I thought it is a new effect added to some digital pianos smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have a window resonance, too. But it's not at the high end. It's at the far low end.

When trying out new speakers, I switched to the slap bass voice, turned up the volume (I have an external amp and speakers). That shook the windows. One note in particular (can't remember which, but somewhere in the lowest octave) set a window vibrating/buzzing loudly. (It's not a problem since I don't use that voice often, and never crank up the sound that loud. This was just a test of new equipment, so I didn't bother trying to fix the window.)

I think the solution lies in fixing the offending window. Depending on the type of window:

- Check the window glazing. That's the "putty" that holds the glass to the wood frame. It may degrade with age and leave the window pane loose, subject to vibration. This can be fixed. (I'm not sure if this applies to metal-framed windows.)

- Check the window frame and the surrounding window jamb. Is that where the vibration is coming from? Is something loose?

- Have someone play the piano while you try to dampen or eliminate the vibration. Place your hand on the window pane or frame or jamb. Does that stop the vibration? If so, this may point to a solution.

D
OP Offline
D
Interesting thing is I didn't have this problem when I first bought the DP in May this year, so maybe the temperature, humidity or other environmental change is causing the window to rattle.

And you can tell I am a relatively new house owner too. I didn't even know/notice that windoes have putty. blush

Dave
M
M
Take care of your ears guys... turn the volume down.

T
T
Originally Posted by montag
Take care of your ears guys... turn the volume down.

tell that to Beethoven...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission