Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (aesop, accordeur, anamnesis, 42 invisible), 1566 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1291056 - 10/21/09 06:36 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Ha! I have that scribbled on my old ABRSM edition.

I once heard that Harold Samuel did the fingerings for the prelude while he was on a train. Don't know if that's true but some of them are a bit dodgy.

Has anyone seen the brand new ABRSM? I was looking at it the other week and it seems to be quite a lot better.

When I record it again I will play it faster once I have worked out some of that tension wink. In fact if you click on one of the other video links at the bottom of my one there is a tiny little girl playing it way faster than me. Slightly embarrassing! I catch her up in the fugue though.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1291060 - 10/21/09 06:47 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted By: Chris H.
Ha! I have that scribbled on my old ABRSM edition.
They do work though. No. 1 is - "He went to town in a hat that made all the people laugh."

My source calls them 'racy'. There's even one about kissing girls! (no. 3).

#1291114 - 10/21/09 09:10 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Love it!

I've just been messing about with the C minor prelude again and had a cunning plan to help with those dynamics. Sorry to keep anyone in suspense but I have to go and do some actual paid work now so I might not be able to upload until later tonight.

I'm just hoping the camcorder picked it up okay. I was doing something this time, honest! Another problem I am having is that my Schimmel is so damn loud. I did a fast take (maybe too fast but it was fun!) and the action is starting to struggle on some of the repetitions. Also did some work on relaxing that little finger but not entirely successful.

This is fun, and quite addictive.

#1291168 - 10/21/09 10:25 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
JWAbacus Offline

Thanks, Chris H, for your P&F on YouTube. I'm humbled and impressed with your musical skill. It was really great watching this.

I've got quite a few videos on YouTube and the posting experience has mainly been positive; however, I have not been immune to some ridicule from a small number of posters who, literally, know everything and are acid-tongued and extremely cutting in their remarks. Some are rude too, but I've only had to remove a very few comments that went beyond civility.

I have a good quality digital camera and my grandpa records me - invariably from the treble side. We have no external mike (one video exception - 'Take 5') - so the sound really has to be watched so that we minimize distortion which is such a problem in recording the piano. We found that we had to suppress (filter) the sudden loud peaks caused at the very first of the waveform when the key is first struck. Otherwise we got quite a bit of distortion. There is a setting on our camera to do that for specifically that purpose. It works well.

What I do is (usually) record the piece twice - keep the best audio track and use the combination of video tracks to give some video effects. Obviously you can't do that with a competition video, though.

Here is an example of me playing Balakirev's "The Lark". I have never embedded a video before so don't know if this is going to work. Please keep in mind that I just turned 14-years-old.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&[/video]

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Guess I don't know how to embed - apologies for the gibberish!

Edited by JWAbacus (10/21/09 10:42 AM)

#1291173 - 10/21/09 10:31 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: JWAbacus]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
This should do the trick, JWAbacus :-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&

#1291177 - 10/21/09 10:36 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: R0B]
keyboardklutz Offline

No, this:

#1291187 - 10/21/09 10:45 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
JWAbacus Offline

Thanks to everyone giving me valuable advice on how to embed ... keyboardklutz got it to work too, getting the actual picture on the post, but I can't seem to get that copying his exact method - I get a live link instead.

So much to learn and so little time.

Thank you all!
Respectfully,
Josh

#1291190 - 10/21/09 10:47 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: JWAbacus]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: JWAbacus

So much to learn and so little time.
I can't help thinking you've learned quite a lot already! And welcome to PW. My mistake, you seem to have been around for some time. Welcome all the same.

Edited by keyboardklutz (10/21/09 10:50 AM)

#1291194 - 10/21/09 10:56 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Ah! KBK,

You beat me by a click :-)

#1291198 - 10/21/09 11:04 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: R0B]
keyboardklutz Offline

On the net, difference between a winner and a loser mate!

#1291280 - 10/21/09 01:45 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nice Lark you have there JW.

I just uploaded and I am afraid the sound is no better. But I'll post anyway because I am sure you will get the idea of what I have tried to do.

Here's the first one. It's just the chord progressions for the first part of the prelude played in a sort of new age way, think of it as a kind of eweiss meets Bach laugh I tried to get the dynamics to follow the dischord/resolutions and cadences. I don't know if you can pick it up but it might be useful for someone learning it.

Then just for fun I decided to do another run of the prelude at a slightly faster tempo. You wouldn't know it but at measure 15 I am really tickling the keys but that bloody auto volume is scuppering me. Don't ask me why I decided to play octave G's, maybe I just like the bass on that piano!

I had more fun this time.

#1291318 - 10/21/09 02:55 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Ah...Bach is rolling over in his grave!! "New Age" Bach?

All kidding aside, I do like your latest video. Good tempo choice and interesting pacing of dynamics. Bravo!

#1291394 - 10/21/09 04:49 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: AZNpiano]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Someone might have already PM'd JW about how to get the youtube clip to show up directly but I will explain briefly because it took me a while to work it out.

On youtube you need to click 'share' underneath your clip or on the screen when it has finished playing.

It then gives you a URL(is that right?) which you need to highlight and copy.

On the pianoworld full reply screen there is an icon that looks like a TV screen, 5th from the left which when you run your cursor over it should say "Enter a media tag"

Click that icon and paste your URL into the text box that appears.

That should be it, all done!

AZN, I almost said that the great man would be turning in his grave grin

Too bad! He's not here and there's nothing he can do about it.

#1291505 - 10/21/09 08:09 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
JWAbacus Offline

THANKS CHRIS H!

I FINALLY found out how to do it because you took the time to explain it to me. I tried over and over again but finally gave up because I was hitting a brick wall and it felt so good when I stopped.

THANKS - and I thoroughly enjoyed your great new videos on YouTube! I sense the different dynamics by the changing tone of the piano - and by visual cues; however, the overall volume level of the video seems to be relatively the same anyways.

In any event, Bach would have been proud. Bravo!

Following your exact method I get:

I would have edited my first post above but now the "Edit" feature has disappeared on that post. Everything I seem to touch turns to dust. Alas.

#1291595 - 10/21/09 11:10 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
My major instrument isn't piano, but I have a number of videos of my playing (and some of my students) on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/clariniano.

Meri

#1291905 - 10/22/09 02:45 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: JWAbacus]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: JWAbacus
I would have edited my first post above but now the "Edit" feature has disappeared on that post. Everything I seem to touch turns to dust. Alas.
I can't help thinking you're a little too deep into the Romantic era.

#1292291 - 10/23/09 09:07 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have one more to share with you if you don't mind?

I recorded the C# major prelude on my Yamaha U1 instead of the Schimmel just to see what the difference in sound is like. No fugue yet I'm afraid as I am having some problems which are explained in the other thread. The playing in this one is a bit raw. At the moment it's a little sloppy and uneven in places and not always together but I will need to do it again when the fugue is done anyway.

What I want to know is what you think about Schimmel vs Yamaha?

I know it's hard to tell because of the poor quality audio but does anyone have any general thoughts? I can't get the camera to the right because as you can see I am up against sliding glass doors. You do get a nice reflection of my garden in the shiny poly finish though. It might be possible to rig something up to shoot from over my right shoulder but I can't think how right now.

#1292313 - 10/23/09 10:02 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I love the reflection of the trees in the finish on the piano! LOL it looks like your piano is alive.

The Schimmel seems to be a warmer sound, but more prone to cutting out in the audio than the Yamaha as a result. The Yamaha I think records better, but my guess is the Schimmel sounds better in person. I'm a fan of a warmer sound than bright, but I love the feel of Yamahas.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1292367 - 10/23/09 12:03 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Morodiene]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I think your Schimmel has a much mellower (and to me more pleasing) sound. The treble on the Yamaha was particularly strident, for want of a better word.

#1292384 - 10/23/09 12:27 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Monica K.]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Chris!

Personally, I would like to see your position at the piano! Shoulders, arms, etc. I've seen your picture! Your's good looking guy. You have nothing to hide!

No pressure! Just what I can see! smile

#1292497 - 10/23/09 02:32 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Diane...]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Diane, if I show that then I would have to make sure I sit properly instead of my usual lazy slouch! A haircut might be an idea too.

Actually I wasn't sure about doing this. I'm very shy you know. But then I did tell someone over on the ABF that they should show themselves in the video so I guess it's only fair. Not easy though. It's nice to hide off the screen.

Thanks for the comments on the pianos. I think I prefer the Schimmel in general although the action is quicker on the Yamaha. My camcorder really doesn't do either of them justice but I think I will go with the Schimmel anyway.

#1292567 - 10/23/09 04:55 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Originally Posted By: Chris H.
But then I did tell someone over on the ABF that they should show themselves in the video so I guess it's only fair. Not easy though. It's nice to hide off the screen.

You told someone else to show themselves in the video, and you don't do this yourself???

Glenn Gould never apologized for his posture! smile Come on Chris, it's not like we're asking you to wear a "3 piece suit"! Would be nice, but a nice shirt, and pants, will be fine! Looking forward to the WHOLE picture! grin

#1292570 - 10/23/09 05:03 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Diane...]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'll say maybe for now!

#1292666 - 10/23/09 08:43 PM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
The nice thing about your videos (and others like it), Chris, is that they show the hands at a close enough angle that you can see better how you're playing. So from a pedagogical perspective, your camera angle might be more helpful. But I do think if you're going to include this on your website to attract prospective students, you'd want to post a video that showed your head/face, too, so that you look approachable. smile

#1292789 - 10/24/09 04:07 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Monica K.]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
But I do think if you're going to include this on your website to attract prospective students, you'd want to post a video that showed your head/face, too, so that you look approachable. smile

Well, if you think it will help with my marketing.......

Here goes....

#1292790 - 10/24/09 04:15 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
keyboardklutz Offline

Shucks, now we can't see your hands!

#1292873 - 10/24/09 11:07 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: keyboardklutz]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Okay, I'm not entirely comfortable with this but I'll give it a shot.

Here I am, warts and all.....

I tried to get a camera angle where you can still see enough hands. My playing is rough but it's the best I can do today. Memory is only just holding out on the fugue and my brain still feels like it's in the wrong key!

The sound seems to be worse this time, really bright.

I wouldn't mind comments on the articulations and tempos. The prelude was slightly slower this time and I played without any pedal except for a dab on the arpeggios at the end. In the fugue my RH is very dominant and the LH just doesn't come through with the theme so that needs sorting out. Excuse the odd blemish and uneven passages as I am only using this for practice at the moment.

#1292879 - 10/24/09 11:23 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
keyboardklutz Offline

Very impressive. I can't help thinking that automatic volume control isn't helping. The fugue was accurate but I wonder if you understood it?

#1292884 - 10/24/09 11:30 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: Chris H.]
AZNpiano Online   happy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Nice work! I think the prelude's tempo is fine. I wouldn't play any faster than that. When I play it, I use more dynamic shading and bring out the sequences that are being passed between hands.

Your fugue is good! That fugue hasn't entered my repertoire, yet. I could imagine the inner voices articulating the subject a little louder. But I like how you kept the subjects consistent.

#1292890 - 10/24/09 11:41 AM Re: Recording yourself on video! [Re: AZNpiano]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I can't do anything about the auto volume. There is no way to switch it off with that camera.

kbk, it depends what you mean by "understood". Not in great depth at this stage as I am still trying to get round the notes. I can hear that it's breathless so I'm thinking you mean phrasing?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fair Price for Roland HP-508
by MarkF786
11/22/14 07:54 PM
Yamaha P22 tuning instability
by beethoven986
11/22/14 07:25 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 05:09 PM
Are there usually dp sales in holiday in the US
by linghu224
11/22/14 04:37 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 03:33 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159271 Topics
2339742 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission