2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 209 of 452 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fliper

mom3gram, I'm glad you are still posting here. Are you ok with Book 2?

I've put my Book 2 aside for a while to play other things - partly because I've really struggled with the last few pieces, and partly because too many Mexican type pieces in a row made me want a change. As I am not really gifted musically, and am working without a teacher, I sometimes hit a wall for a while and need to take a break with some easier music before moving on. I still think that Alfred AIO is a great method, and do fully intend to work my way through books 2 and 3 at my usual slow pace.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
S
S
Going back to the sitting position question, I sit in the centre of the piano bench which is roughly centred in front of the piano. I have never paid attention to where this is relative to the keys. It seems to me that it wouldn't make much difference whether your navel is in front of C or D, given the range of movement you have with your arms and upper body.

The distance between the bench and the piano is probably a lot more important, plus that you don't sit too far back on the bench.

Originally Posted by molto_agitato
There is a book by Howard Richman titled Super Sight-reading Secrets. In it, Richman advises piano players to sit at middle D (specifically, he advises players to sit so that their navels are aligned with middle D) because middle D is at the physical center of the keyboard. When I first read this suggestion, it seemed as reasonable as anything else, so I started sitting at middle D.

After I wrote this, it began to seem increasingly wrong to me. I measured my piano, which has a standard 88 key keyboard, and the center of the keyboard is actually somewhere between middle E and middle F. So, I'm not sure the reason for Richman's advise to sit at middle D. Middle C would seem to make more sense, given that it's at least the center of the grand staff.

Originally Posted by seaotter7
The distance between the bench and the piano is probably a lot more important, plus that you don't sit too far back on the bench.

My piano sits on a patterned rug. When I first found the ideal spot for my piano bench, I noted where the bench sat relative to the markings on the rug, so my bench always sits in the same location when I'm at the piano. Also, I like to sit somewhere between the front 1/2 and front 1/3 of the bench.

Originally Posted by seaotter7
Going back to the sitting position question, I sit in the centre of the piano bench which is roughly centred in front of the piano. I have never paid attention to where this is relative to the keys. It seems to me that it wouldn't make much difference whether your navel is in front of C or D, given the range of movement you have with your arms and upper body.

I agree but with some of the pieces that I am on in the book the right hand thumb is on middle C and left hand pinky is on next C to the left and its kind of unconfortable. But I can always lean back and to the left to make it more comfy. I'd imagine on future pieces it won't matter as much.

S
S
Originally Posted by Spitfire

I agree but with some of the pieces that I am on in the book the right hand thumb is on middle C and left hand pinky is on next C to the left and its kind of unconfortable. But I can always lean back and to the left to make it more comfy. I'd imagine on future pieces it won't matter as much.

Perhaps try sitting further away from the piano. It shouldn't be uncomfortable. Other pieces may require your hands to go even further to the left.

Last edited by seaotter7; 10/29/10 05:48 PM.
C
C
I have a question about the 5 finger position method used by Alred's. I'm in the all in one level 1 book and making good progress. I've played piano a bit on my own my whole life but never had any formal training and never could play with both hands at the same time. So I'm really loving being able to do that.

My question is about the position method. I read a lot of criticism about the 5 finger position method. Teachers say their students can't play other pieces which don't fit in 5 fingers, etc. Is this really a problem?

And when I play sometimes I am not using the right fingers for the notes. Is this a problem if the notes sound right? Sometimes I just instinctively move my hand and play the notes but not using exactly the same fingers.

So I'm thinking if some books don't worry about the 5 finger approach then maybe I shouldn't worry about it either? But then I think I'm using the Alfred's book so I should go by their system and make sure the right finger is used for each note.

I'm curious what others think.

E
E
cunparis - As you proceed further in Book 1, you'll learn to move your fingers around a bit more, which will slowly wean you off of the 5-finger position mentality. I think many teachers and method book authors use it to establish a "comfort zone" for beginners and then slowly expand it to extended hand positions and whole hand movement. This takes time, but you'll eventually leave home base! grin

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
Originally Posted by cunparis
My question is about the position method. I read a lot of criticism about the 5 finger position method. Teachers say their students can't play other pieces which don't fit in 5 fingers, etc. Is this really a problem?

I've read a lot of the same criticism. For example, some piano teachers are critical of piano methods that rely on five finger positions because transfer students who previously relied on these piano are unable to identify notes on the grand staff. I've read cases of such students who, when faced with music that lies outside of a five finger position (i.e. C position, G position, etc.), become completely stymied because they don't know where to place their hands when beginning to play the piece. Now, I would imagine this is a problem that only children would face, and probably young children at that. I doubt that any adult whose first piano pieces are in five finger positions is going to be completely unable to read notes as a result.

Originally Posted by cunparis
And when I play sometimes I am not using the right fingers for the notes. Is this a problem if the notes sound right? Sometimes I just instinctively move my hand and play the notes but not using exactly the same fingers.

Another criticism I've read about five finger positions is that some children come to believe that each note on the piano is associated with a given finger. For example, such a child might believe middle C must always be played by the right hand thumb, middle D must be always be played by the right hand second finger, etc. Again, I would think this is a problem exclusive to children. Also, I'm inclined to think if you are not using the "right fingers" for pieces that are in a five finger position, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. It suggests to me you're comfortable with the topography of he keyboard, which is an important skill to develop. (I'm not however saying that fingering isn't important; I realize it is.)

I dropped Alfred's for quite a while, but decided that I'd like to finish the book. Since it's been such a long time I'm restarting it from the beginning, I should be flying through the first pages rather quickly.

I'll try to post here occasionally with a short progress report and see if I can keep playing the book 'till the end this time.

I didn't really care for most of the music in the book that much, but I guess it contains valuable lessons, so it's worth doing I guess. laugh

Edit; On the whole where to sit debate, I always habitually sit at middle C. Simple reason is that it always works well enough, whether I play 88 key piano, 85 key, harpsichord or anything else with a different range.

It's more of a habitual thing, really. I don't think it really matters as long as you are roughly in the middle. There are many other aspects of posture, on the other hand, that I think are vital to proper piano playing.

Last edited by Pianosaurus Rex; 10/31/10 05:15 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
F
F
Originally Posted by mom3gram

mom3gram, I'm glad you are still posting here. Are you ok with Book 2?

I've put my Book 2 aside for a while to play other things - partly because I've really struggled with the last few pieces, and partly because too many Mexican type pieces in a row made me want a change. As I am not really gifted musically, and am working without a teacher, I sometimes hit a wall for a while and need to take a break with some easier music before moving on. I still think that Alfred AIO is a great method, and do fully intend to work my way through books 2 and 3 at my usual slow pace.

Each piece in Alfred has a new thing to learn. There is no pieces in the book to use just what we have learned before. At least for the very beginning. And it is not easy to find similar pieces out of the book.

Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex

Edit; On the whole where to sit debate, I always habitually sit at middle C. Simple reason is that it always works well enough, whether I play 88 key piano, 85 key, harpsichord or anything else with a different range.

I sit just in front of the small LCD Display of my DP (it is in the center) smile

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

I sit just in front of the small LCD Display of my DP (it is in the center) smile

That should work!
I guess in case of acoustic instruments or digitals without (centered) displays you could just look at the nameboard, that's usually in the middle.

Last week I play a Lindbergh upright that hat the name in the left corner though, so there are exceptions!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Since I have taken a break from Book 2, I've been going back and reviewing pieces from Book 1. Today I'm working on "O Sole Mio". I still can't roll that chord in the 2nd ending fast enough.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Since I have taken a break from Book 2, I've been going back and reviewing pieces from Book 1. Today I'm working on "O Sole Mio". I still can't roll that chord in the 2nd ending fast enough.

Hm, I can't help with that since O Sole Mio is still way ahead of where I am in Alfred's. I started all over from the beginning last Sunday, after taking a break from Alfred's now, and am currently at the Lone Star Waltz.

Rolled chords are really nice if you do them right though, I added one myself in the chord with the fermate near the end of Blow the Man Down.

But the fact that the chord gives you trouble only proves that it's a great idea to revisit some earlier pieces, there's still plenty to learn from them! laugh

Mom3gram, I am a song away from "O Sole Mio", but I think by that time you will be back on book 2 smile

Howser MD
---------

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

F
F

I am in "Liza Jane" page 62. I need to polish "Harp Song". I can play Liza Jane, but play and sing at same time not yet.

I just received a set of books ordered sonetime ago. I will be very busy with all those books smile. All of them were mentioned here in this thread. Thanks to all for share your book collection and for the suggestions of books to complement Alfred book.

Here is the list:

My First Book of Classical Music: 20 Themes by Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and Other Great Composers in Easy Piano Arrangements - Bergerac

Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences: Complete Book - Willard Palmer

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course All-Time Favorites - Dennis Alexander

Basic Timing for Pianists: 105 Short, Short Exercises, Leading to Thorough and Complete Mastery of Basic Timing Problems - Allan Small

Scales, Chords, Arpeggios and Cadences: First Book (Alfred's Basic Piano Library

Top Hits! Christmas: Complete 1 (1a/1b)(Alfred's Basic Piano Library) - Morton Manus, E.Lancaster

Classical Jazz, Rags & Blues Book 1 Early Intermediate: 10 Classical Melodies Arranged in Jazz Syles for Early Intermediate Pianists (Jazz Rags Blues M Mier)

The Piano Handbook - Carl Humphries

Alfred's Basic Adult All-In-One Course Christmas (Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course)- Dennis Alexander

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, fliper, you are set for a long time! I have both of the Christmas ones (Only 1B of the top Christmas Hits), and have been enjoying them for the past week. It sounds like you have everything - scales, exercises, classical, pop, jazz and Christmas. What more could one want!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Busy with O Sole Mio, working on the first 7 bars for now. I love the song, cannot wait to fully play it without the pause of course.

Howser MD
---------

Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

S
S
I like O Sole Mio a lot and keep going back to it. I'm not following the suggested pedalling though since it sounds like too much pedal to me at times.

I am stalled at the Entertainer now since I decided it would be a good idea to practice memorizing, partly because of a recent thread on memorization.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1550853/memorization.html#Post1550853

The Entertainer is quite simple, a lot of repetition, but I always seem to forget one or two notes, or rather I'm slow to find them. Do you memorize everything in Book #1, some pieces or nothing?

Last edited by seaotter7; 11/08/10 12:59 PM.
Seaotter, pieces that I like, for example Joy to the world I find easy to play without looking at the score, but those that I have no interest in, I cannot recall at all. Will have a look at the memorization thead.

Howser MD
---------

Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

M
M
Alright, my turn.

I've been lurking this forum for the past week or so...ever since I ordered my new Yamaha YPG-635 grin. It should be here on Wednesday. Yesterday I ordered my first piano book "Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Piano Course, Book 1 (with CD)." I should be getting that within the next few days as well.

I've scourged this thread, the youtube vids by pianonoob and a few other threads and I'm quite excited to get started.

A bit about myself: My name is Matt. I'm 28 years old. I come from a musical family. It seems everyone is talented, although not many know how to read music properly. I've been playing the guitar since I was 14. Picked up the drums to play in a bar band with a couple of my relatives maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and now I'm ready for the piano.

I'm interested in learning proper technique and learning to sight read, so, wish me luck. I'll be tracking my progress in the this thread.

Page 209 of 452 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission