Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 14 of 19 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1289005 - 10/17/09 09:18 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
one of many Offline

Loc: Portland, OR US
Wow Hugh, this is fantastic! I am just now finding out about what you're doing. I'm 28 years old and a beginner taking my first piano lessons ever, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I love Debussy but thought it would be ages, if ever, that I could play something of his. I am only on your third lesson but almost weeped with joy at hearing myself play the first measure! I know it's going to be a long haul but am looking forward to getting through it with you as my guide!! Many thanks!
And great insights like what it would sound like in the white keys, i guess that would be the key of C?...

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1290091 - 10/19/09 07:48 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: one of many]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
I finally got all caught up on the lessons! yippie I have registered for the webinar and am looking forward to it. I do have a question for the webinar. Do I post it now on the webinar page or wait until we're under way? (Just trying to think ahead a little).

CMohr

#1290461 - 10/20/09 11:01 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: one of many]
Hugh Sung Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: one of many
Wow Hugh, this is fantastic! I am just now finding out about what you're doing. I'm 28 years old and a beginner taking my first piano lessons ever, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I love Debussy but thought it would be ages, if ever, that I could play something of his. I am only on your third lesson but almost weeped with joy at hearing myself play the first measure! I know it's going to be a long haul but am looking forward to getting through it with you as my guide!! Many thanks!
And great insights like what it would sound like in the white keys, i guess that would be the key of C?...

Welcome aboard! I'm so glad you find these lessons helpful - it's been tremendously rewarding to hear stories like yours from folks who have dreamed of playing this piece! And yes, you're right - that was an example of what the piece might've sounded like if it was written in the key of C major!

#1290462 - 10/20/09 11:03 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: CMohr
I finally got all caught up on the lessons! yippie I have registered for the webinar and am looking forward to it. I do have a question for the webinar. Do I post it now on the webinar page or wait until we're under way? (Just trying to think ahead a little).

CMohr

Yay! Congrats, CMohr! More lessons are on the way, btw (it's been a very, very busy weekend for me!)

Feel free to post your questions now if you'd like. I'm going to be collecting some of the best ones from this forum, as well as from the scattered YouTube comments and emails to present at the Webinar this Saturday. We can also take questions "live", which is part of the fun of putting this webinar together: the ability to interact in real time with questions and comments!

See you on Saturday at 1 pm EST!

#1290463 - 10/20/09 11:04 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Hugh Sung Offline

Lesson #54, Measure 39

Options, options! I do some waffling and decide on a specific fingering for the left hand in the previous measure leading into measure 39, mainly because I don't like relying on a weak pinkie to move to multiple notes. In the right hand, we find that the ledger lines actually climb a bit higher, so we extend the mnemonics a bit higher to help find the higher notes more easily ("But Don't Fall"). I give another set of options to use fingerings to find higher notes, using the octave hand again as a "measuring stick" as one of the options. I also give an interesting option in the end of the measure to use the thumb to jump down more securely than jumping with the "traditional" pinkie.

#1290725 - 10/20/09 05:21 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
CMohr Offline

Hugh,

I have a question about the timing in measure 33. After looking and playing more closely, (btw my score doesn't show dotted eigths in the melody line or base line) I figured it could be counted bum-ble-bee, bum-ble-bee, buzz-ing, buzz-ing with the sixteenth notes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

I know that in the second half of the measure RH is NOT playing triplets.(I did think they were awhile ago). But they would be played a little faster than regular sixteenth notes. Question?

I hope I've expressed this question so you can figure out what I'm talking about. Thanks!

CMohr

#1291108 - 10/21/09 09:01 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Hugh Sung Offline

Hugh,

I have a question about the timing in measure 33. After looking and playing more closely, (btw my score doesn't show dotted eigths in the melody line or base line) I figured it could be counted bum-ble-bee, bum-ble-bee, buzz-ing, buzz-ing with the sixteenth notes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

I know that in the second half of the measure RH is NOT playing triplets.(I did think they were awhile ago). But they would be played a little faster than regular sixteenth notes. Question?

I hope I've expressed this question so you can figure out what I'm talking about. Thanks!

CMohr

Great question, CMohr! We can definitely use this one for the webinar - here's the answer in the meantime, but it'll make more sense when I can play it for you and explain what's going on.

The 16th notes stay exactly the same, they don't get played any faster - what actually happens is that the beat groupings in the melody shift from sets of three to sets of two - it's an amazing effect that gives the feeling of being "displaced" in time!

If you're using the "bum-ble-bee buz-ing" to represent eighth notes for each syllable (remember, there would be 2 16ths for each eighth), then the melody line could be represented as "Bum-ble-bee / (buz)-ing Buz-ing" (the () represents the note that's tied over)

Does that make sense? Let me know if this helps - or just tune in to the webinar and we can hash it out in more detail "live"! smile

#1291110 - 10/21/09 09:03 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Hugh Sung Offline

Lesson #55, Measure 40

(Woops...just realized that a bunch of these videos were missing the "Clair de lune" title at the beginning! Silly me...)

Before I forget, I'd like to invite you to sign up for an upcoming live webinar class lesson at http://pianofromscratch.com/webinars - these webinars will give me a chance to go much more in depth with the music, and we'll be able to have live interaction via chat and shared webcams.

In this lesson, I offer two sets of fingerings: a "traditional" one that is better for connecting the melody notes, and an unusual one that relies on the pedal to connect the notes, but might be easier to use for some folks who may have difficulties jumping around the keyboard.

#1291233 - 10/21/09 12:15 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Bee Dee Offline

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Hugh,

I just ran across this (where, oh where have I been?) and I'm definitely looking forward to working on this. Claire de Lune was one of the first pieces I attempted when I re-started piano lessons some years ago, but I only got through the first 28 or so measures before I got frustrated and burnt out with it. This looks like it will get me back on track with this.

Thanks for taking your time to help us poor struggling pianists!

#1291251 - 10/21/09 12:53 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Hey Hugh, this a bit cheeky (hope you don't mind!) but I thought I'd make a couple of suggestions for other pieces just in case you were intending any follow up "from scratch" courses!

Anything by Bach!
Satie - Gymnopédie No.1
Chopin Waltz No 19 in A minor

I appreciate that this has been a tremendous amount of work for you and understand completely if this is a one off!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1291497 - 10/21/09 08:02 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
CMohr Offline

Hugh, Thanks for the answer. Yes, it does make sense. No need to re-respond - I will wait for the webinar to hear how it's supposed to sound, etc. smile

CMOHR

#1292012 - 10/22/09 05:56 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hi Hugh,
What a great set of lessons and great piece to work on. You really had me hooked explaining the wonderful story as backgroud. I'm a rank beginner working through Alfred AIO book #2 and had thought it would be a long while before I could tackle such beautiful music. Now I can't wait to get home from the office and start on the first 3 measures. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Edited by JimF (10/22/09 05:57 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1292929 - 10/24/09 01:17 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: JimF]
senam Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Hugh, I don't know if you're watching this forum *during* the webinar, but we're all in the ustream chat. And by the way, something is off with the sound because the piano sounds like and electric guitar. Your voice is fine though.

Edited by senam (10/24/09 01:24 PM)

#1292935 - 10/24/09 01:25 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: senam]
munkeegutz Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
yeah, if you open a streaming page, ie click that link on the bottom of your pages, you'll get OUR chat applet which works.

oh and I have the same 76 key keyboard: I just drop the lower e_flat

Edited by munkeegutz (10/24/09 01:26 PM)

#1292949 - 10/24/09 01:56 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: munkeegutz]
CMohr Offline

I can't get to chat on ustream, so will use the forum for now. But, I'm here.

#1292995 - 10/24/09 04:11 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Hugh Sung Offline

Many thanks to everyone who participated in today's Webinar! Sorry about the early glitches with the audio levels, the goofy camera focus and the buggy chat applets; this was definitely a learning experience for me, but I hope that everyone had fun nonetheless!

The recorded video from today's webinar is already up on the www.PianofromScratch.com website. Again, many thanks for all the terrific questions, and I look forward to "seeing" everyone at the next webinar!

#1293019 - 10/24/09 05:14 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
CMohr Offline

I just wanted to thank Hugh for the fantastic webinar! (even tho I couldn't get in on the chat).
The whole set-up and ideas behind the webcast worked out great! I completely enjoyed being able to take part although just as an observer!
Thanks again, I think you've got a great thing going, Hugh. thumb thumb

Cheers!
CMOHR

#1293131 - 10/24/09 09:07 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Hugh Sung Offline

I just wanted to thank Hugh for the fantastic webinar! (even tho I couldn't get in on the chat).
The whole set-up and ideas behind the webcast worked out great! I completely enjoyed being able to take part although just as an observer!
Thanks again, I think you've got a great thing going, Hugh. thumb thumb

Cheers!
CMOHR

Thanks, CMohr! I was a little frazzled with the initial bugs, and more nervous than waiting backstage at Carnegie Hall! I do think this format has a LOT of potential - there's something utterly amazing about being able to teach class piano live with students dotted all over the globe at once! I thought the questions from that chat participants were really, really terrific - I just hope my answers were clear enough and helpful wink

Can't wait to do this again - hopefully sometime early November! And next time, I'd love to have you participate in the chat room!

#1293594 - 10/25/09 06:45 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Bee Dee Offline

Hugh, I'd also like to thank you for the webinar. Although I didn't register for it (and in fact, I stumbled across it early into it) I did enjoy it, and did in fact get a lot out of it. Now I need to get caught up, but that will happen. Hopefully, I can make an useful comment during the next one! And don't worry about the glitches, Hugh... everyone gets opening-night jitters!

Edited by Bee Dee (10/25/09 06:45 PM)

#1293740 - 10/25/09 11:50 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Bee Dee]
joyjane1028 Offline

Hugh, thumb thank you very much for your very insightful lesson on Saturday @ webinar. Those are very valuable lesson. I surely have learned a lot from you. Can't wait for the next lesson. Thanks again.
thumb

Joy (joyjane1028) laugh

#1293813 - 10/26/09 06:52 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: joyjane1028]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Glad to hear it went reasonably well, sorry I couldn't join you as planned. I had a quick look at the recording but couldn't get them to play smoothly, is there any way to download them?

I have to agree the piano sounded terrible, too much gain maybe?

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1293864 - 10/26/09 09:10 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: BazC]
Hugh Sung Offline

Originally Posted By: BazC
Glad to hear it went reasonably well, sorry I couldn't join you as planned. I had a quick look at the recording but couldn't get them to play smoothly, is there any way to download them?

I have to agree the piano sounded terrible, too much gain maybe?

I accidentally had the piano and voice mics switched on my mixer, but didn't realize it until the chat applet finally kicked in (around 40 minutes in - i think it was my own browser's fault) and was able to read everyone's frantic texts telling me about the piano sound! LOL!
I was able to fix up the sound levels for the rest of the webinar. Definitely one to chalk up for the learning curve!
Once the chat was up and running properly, it was so cool to be able to react in real time to everyone's questions and comments!
I'm in the process of downloading the video file from the webinar (I might edit and chop it up to remove the first 40 minutes of offensive piano levels) and will make it available soon on my websites for download and viewing.

I'll be scheduling more webinars very soon. This looks to be an exciting and fun way to enjoy group lessons in realtime over the internet! Hope to see you at the next one, BazC!

#1293867 - 10/26/09 09:16 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hugh Sung
I'm in the process of downloading the video file from the webinar (I might edit and chop it up to remove the first 40 minutes of offensive piano levels) and will make it available soon on my websites for download and viewing.

Excellent - thanks Hugh!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1293952 - 10/26/09 11:04 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: BazC]
Hugh Sung Offline

Lesson #56, m. 41 & 42 Overview

We're just about to start one of the most difficult portions of the entire piece. I explain what makes this part so hard, between the twisting left hand runs and the challenging double-notes in the right hand, then give a preview of a creative solution to make it much easier to play (essentially, using the right hand to once again come to the "rescue" of the left hand). In the next lessons, I'll break down this creative fingering bit by bit, so don't worry - with a little patience and some careful practice, I think you'll be surprised at how well you'll be able to tackle this yourself!

#1294107 - 10/26/09 01:39 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Gabe Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Isn't this way too difficult for beginners to even contemplate?

#1294143 - 10/26/09 02:36 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Gabe]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: gabeh98
Isn't this way too difficult for beginners to even contemplate?

gabeh98: I am a beginner (5 months with a cheapo keyboard, recently finished Alfred bk#1, never played any instrument before, no teacher) and over the past weekend have managed to get through the first 12 lessons and can manage the first 10 measures without major pauses. At several points I tried to "cheat" and jump a bar ahead of whatever last lesson I had viewed. Each time I was quite intimidated and had trouble working out exactly what was required. Each time when I then viewed the appropriate lesson for that measure, it all came together readily, if not with ease. Measure 10 in particular was such a mystery to me when I first read it that I was sure I would not be playing it for quite some time. After viewing the lesson and an hour of practice, however, I seem to have it down reasonably well.

Hugh: You cannot believe the excitement and childlike joy that I'm experiencing playing a bar like #10 when I thought it was totally beyond my reach just a few hours earlier. Thank you so much. At least through the first dozen or so, the lessons seem perfectly paced to me. One thing about bars 9 and 10 is that they practically beg you to play another measure, so I can't wait for my next session on #11. thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#1294154 - 10/26/09 02:44 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
catchtwo2 Offline

Loc: NY
Hugh, I was unable to listen to your Webinar so I watched the replay and found it to be very informative. I wish I had learned some of your fingering suggestions before I tackled the piece some years ago. Most of my fingering has been "learned in" and may be difficult to change now but I did get many other suggestions, such as posture at the piano, which I will work on. I hope to watch the next Webinar live and, once again, thank you for all you do.

#1294238 - 10/26/09 04:56 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: catchtwo2]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Hey, can anyone join in here?

I'm finding all this activity truly inspirational and I totally take my hat off to anyone who has been playing for 5 months and attempts a piece like this. smile

I've also been learning Claire (although not from Hugh's wonderful lessons). I've been practicing the tricky semi-quavery bit in the middle and made this recording. It's slow and without sustain (all the better to show up the problems):

http://www.box.net/shared/u9iocbv8u6

I'm happy for any kind of critique/comments - really, I am! thumb

I want to get this right before speeding up. There is one obvious mistake toward the end where my LH falls on the wrong note, but apart from that I'm not aware of mistakes, so if anyone hears anything, please let me know.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1294271 - 10/26/09 05:47 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: ski34days]
Bee Dee Offline

Hugh,

I fully understand your approach to Claire de Lune on these lessons... you need to go slowly and deliberately in order to convey the knowledge of the piece to us. BUT... I've seen and heard your playing of this for PianoDisc (the background video was posted earlier) and, of course, it's different. Here's my question... when you prepare for playing this expressively, how do you approach your interpretation? Any suggestions for us (of course, you have to learn to crawl before you attempt a 4-minute mile...) that can help us when we finally get the whole thing in our fingers? If you want to wait to address this until the lessons are completed, that's fine... we'll get there eventually!

#1294317 - 10/26/09 06:53 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: JimF]
joyjane1028 Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
[quote=gabeh98]Isn't this way too difficult for beginners to even contemplate?

gabeh98:
JimF. said,"... I am a beginner (5 months with a cheapo keyboard, recently finished Alfred bk#1, never played any instrument before, no teacher) and over the past weekend have managed to get through the first 12 lessons and can manage the first 10 measures without major pause.....Each time I was quite intimidated and had trouble working out exactly what was required. Each time when I then viewed the appropriate lesson for that measure, it all came together readily, if not with ease....After viewing the lesson and an hour of practice, however, I seem to have it down reasonably well."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wow JimF. wow I am at a loss for words. I am a beginner too, JimF smile - you have just inspired me.
Joy

Page 14 of 19 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 18 19 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (bennevis, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36251, bfb, 33 invisible), 1333 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249711 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission