2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 196 of 452 1 2 194 195 196 197 198 451 452
N
N
Oy....I posted pictures (or at least I think I did) over at the piano forum under the thread "Piano Gift". How do you put your photos on your message????

Anyway, hope you can see my photos.

I practiced for 3 hours yesterday...dividing time between my piano and keyboard! Next is doing my recordings...have my little music room all set up now!

Happy 4th!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

D
D
Originally Posted by GracieCat

Doug, you know what we did with our pool table? We put our table up on heavy duty casters so we could move it. It's in our basement and the kids have their train table there too. There isn't quite enough room for both so the pool table is moved some when we want to use it. (We don't play that often.) ]

Probably not something I'd do to a nice new table though. Ours is old.

That's a great idea GracieCat! How do you keep it from moving when you play?

I don't think it would work for us because the floors are hardwood and there still wouldn't be enough room for both the pool table and a piano but the room would be perfect for a baby grand someday......

I can picture it there already but it will be a long time since the pool table was my idea and I don't play it very often any more.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by nancymae

Anyway, hope you can see my photos.

Nancy, I just took a peek at the photos of your new piano. It is gorgeous! It looks immaculate, somebody took good care of it and you are very luck to be the recipient of it. Happy playing!!

Happy Fourth to everyone in the USA.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nancy I'm drooling over that piano! You're probably playing it right now.

Doug, it's on carpet and take a good bit of might to move the thing. You can easily lean against it and it won't move. One day you just might want to sell it and use the money toward a piano. I'm only keeping mine because I'm sure my boys will enjoy playing when they get a bit older.

I've got Greensleeves down with the 1-3-5-3-5-3 pattern on the left hand. (I play the bass notes down one octave.) I couldn't hardly do it at first, but I just kept plugging along. Now I don't really have to think about the left hand. The first beat of every measure starts with your pinky. I'll record it in a day or two. It won't be error free though. Thanks for the idea. It was a learning experience.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
D
D
I've got Greensleeves down with the 1-3-5-3-5-3 pattern on the left hand.

I'm still working on it. Practice has been a little broken up over the past few days. Lots of things going on right now. We helped our son move back to NY from Connecticut and have our grand daughter here from Colorado.

I had to write it out with notation software so I could see it. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording of it. That will be a great skill to have mastered because it will be used often. I think there are a lot of pieces you could use that with that have simple melodies. You might be able to try it with Silent Night (the chords are probably different).

Last edited by Doug F; 07/03/10 09:03 PM.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Doug - Speaking of notation software, it wouldn't be by any chance, PrintMusic? I've been thinking of getting something along those lines where I could input,scan and transpose stuff. Trying to transpose by hand, with blank sheet music takes too much time!

Nancy - Congrats on that new piano! Since you live in such a rural area, if I were you, I'd check my shoes, since you definitely must have "stepped in something!" LOL! I'm so J!!! grin

Gracie - This week, I bought a Fender Passport 150 PA system and some microphones to set up my "Concert for 1" series. Since I can't currently play and sing at the same time, I'm looking into recorder-mixers, so I can play piano on one track (carefully edit the mistakes out!) and then lay down a vocal track! Playing piano leaves me with very little brainpower leftover to devote to singing at this point, so it might be a reasonable solution! Thank God for technology! LOL! I'm sure by the time I can do both, Alzheimer's will be kicking in, with my luck! Now, all I have to do is come up with a winning Powerball or MegaMillions ticket to buy that Steinway and build that recording studio addition. Greensleeves with that flattened first F# (or the "Gracie version" as it's known to astute music critics) will be on the first album! Well, it's nice to dream ...or hallucinate, as the case may be!

To all the new folks that have joined in the last few days, a big welcome!!!

-Craig

Last edited by Emissary52; 07/03/10 10:06 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
D
D
The software is MuseScore. It's open source so it's free and is pretty good. You can't scan into it yet but it's great for writing out scores.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Thanks Doug! You've just given me something to "play with" until the wee hours!

YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Nancymae, that piano is gorgeous! They've kept it in great condition, too! Congratulations!

Aimee

I recorded Greensleeves breaking the lefthand chords up like Doug suggested (1-3-5-3-5) and not sharping the F as Emissary liked. I also played the bass notes down one octave as someone else suggested. My version isn't error free but I'm moving on. I wasn't able to play the bass notes any softer as it took too much concentration as it was. smile Variation of Greensleeves (The popping you hear in the background is my husband and the boys firing off rockets.)

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Good job Graciecat. When I was in this book last year, I experimented with a 1-3-5 & 135-3-5 as well. Changed the ending up a bit also. Giving the left hand more independence will prove useful in the future.
Here was my version.
CarlMc

Greensleeves

Very nice Strings & Wood. Thanks for sharing! That's much more musical. Now I'm interested again. I'll practice it with a mixture of my left hand and yours to see what I can come up with. Then I'll spruce up my ending too. I'll end up with a song that combines 5 peoples ideas. smile Too cool. Thanks for the idea!

(When I was playing my version I felt like I was running a race in the left hand and falling asleep with the right. smile )

I'll repost my recording as soon as it's done.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
D
D
Nice job GracieCat! I'm still working on it but almost have it down. The rockets in the background suggest that you need to work on The Star Spangled Banner too!

I like your version too Carl. It has a very nice rolling feel to it. I kind of wish my teacher had suggested that style vs the way he has me playing it. It sounds better matched.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mark... #1468658 07/05/10 02:24 PM
B
B
I've been playing the bonus materials in the AIO book and believe for "At Last," the last chord on the treble cleff should be a C-E-G, not B-E-G as printed (whatever that horrid sounding combo is).

Can anyone verify?

Last edited by beasleylou; 07/05/10 03:23 PM.
Originally Posted by beasleylou
I've been playing the bonus materials in the AIO book and believe the last chord on the treble cleff should be a C-E-G, not B-E-G as printed (whatever that horrid sounding combo is).

Can anyone verify?

Which song beasleylou?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
B
B
"At Last" Sorry, I wasn't clear, I have edited the post.

D
D
That piece is in the self teaching AIO Book for those who are wondering.

I don't have my book with me right now but I'll check it when I get home.

Doug

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Doug F #1468705 07/05/10 03:55 PM
(p185) Self teaching book.

That last chord in the right does sound awful. B-E-G in the right and octave C's in the left. (With a fermata over both hands as well.) I haven't ever played that song though. Anyone else?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
B
B
I gather there are different versions of this series? I've tinkered with it some more and am positive the last chord should be a C.

It's worth the time to learn "At Last" and "Somewhere over the Rainbow" if you have them. These two are my favorites in the book thus far.

E
E
GracieCat and Strings & Wood - Both of your versions sound better than the book and you've gotten a "free Christmas Carol" out of the process as well!

beasleylou - I have the plain-jane Alfred's Adult book and don't have that song, but it seems rather odd that they would be employing what would appear to be a Cmaj7 chord in any piece at this stage of the game.

Does it sound like this?

http://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/cmaj7.asp

I wonder if it's a misprint and you should be doing C-E-G instead?

YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
Page 196 of 452 1 2 194 195 196 197 198 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission