2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I'll certainly give that a try lilylady although I am a bit cramped for space to the right of the piano.

Pianist and piano teacher.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Chris H.
I swear I was playing dynamics this time round but nothing comes across. You can perhaps notice a slight change in the tone of the piano but in general it's just all loud and horrible. Sounds like some kid doing his grade 5. Also the camera keeps going in and out of focus for no reason as I wasn't touching it and when I uploaded the sound was out of sync with the picture which is annoying.

Now you see why I was so anxious for the Zoom Q3 to finally be released!!! grin That thing is so easy to use and no problems with syncing. thumb

Actually, I thought your video/audio quality was pretty good for a camcorder. (The playing was beautiful. It was helpful to me to study your hand positioning and finger shapes, too. smile )

I'm guessing you had some kind of autofocus and it was picking up on your finger movements. Maybe there's a way to switch that off.

I'm still experimenting with my Q3 to see if I can get the autogain feature to work as well as my H4. I sent my parents packing on a plane last night, and as soon as I get caught up on my back work, I'll try to put up a few more samples.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
I'm still experimenting with my Q3 to see if I can get the autogain feature to work as well as my H4.
Surely auto-gain is the last thing you want?

I'm not sure how the zooms do their auto-gain, kbk. On the H4, the way it works is that you press the red dot once, and while it's blinking you play the loudest passage from your piece. That (somehow) sets the mic sensitivity so that it doesn't clip at the loud parts, but then the softer parts still sound soft. If that makes any sense. I am obviously not a sound engineer. smirk

But on the Q3, it doesn't appear that you establish that loud baseline, so it may be operating differently... and perhaps less desirably, as you point out.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Last one for the moment.

I just wanted to test lilylady's theory about putting the camcorder to the right of the piano. It doesn't seem to have made much difference to me. Not sure.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Chris the autofocus is probably trying to keep your moving hands in focus causing the problem...

Last edited by Mark...; 10/20/09 05:46 PM.
Jeez Chris, you make it seem so easy! The fugue figure was just right. I do really think you've got a dynamics problem in the prelude - is it the recorder? You'll laugh - I just took out my sheet (Kroll) someone's penciled in the date they studied it - 17.2.1886!

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I would say the dynamics in the prelude are probably 50/50 between me and the camera!

With it placed to the right it has to be right next to the piano which I think makes it a little worse. I wasn't doing much with it either though. The last time I properly sat down and studied this one was around 1986 so not quite as long ago as the student you found. I just tidied up the notes for now but it does need work before it's ready for a final take.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Nice playing! I play that Fugue almost the same way. I play the Prelude faster, though, more toccata-like and whimsical.

When I was studying that piece (eons ago), my less-than-stellar piano teacher told me to play the Prelude at adagio with crescendo and diminuendo within each measure. And for the Fugue, she told me to imagine a church procession in which the altar boy walks up to light the candles.

Okay, I switched teachers right there and then. Probably should have switched earlier when she couldn't teach me Ravel's Menuet Antique.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
...or as Prout put it - "John Sebastian Bach sat upon a tack, but he soon got up again with a howl!"

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Ha! I have that scribbled on my old ABRSM edition.

I once heard that Harold Samuel did the fingerings for the prelude while he was on a train. Don't know if that's true but some of them are a bit dodgy.

Has anyone seen the brand new ABRSM? I was looking at it the other week and it seems to be quite a lot better.

When I record it again I will play it faster once I have worked out some of that tension wink. In fact if you click on one of the other video links at the bottom of my one there is a tiny little girl playing it way faster than me. Slightly embarrassing! I catch her up in the fugue though.

Originally Posted by Chris H.
Ha! I have that scribbled on my old ABRSM edition.
They do work though. No. 1 is - "He went to town in a hat that made all the people laugh."

My source calls them 'racy'. There's even one about kissing girls! (no. 3).

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Love it!

I've just been messing about with the C minor prelude again and had a cunning plan to help with those dynamics. Sorry to keep anyone in suspense but I have to go and do some actual paid work now so I might not be able to upload until later tonight.

I'm just hoping the camcorder picked it up okay. I was doing something this time, honest! Another problem I am having is that my Schimmel is so damn loud. I did a fast take (maybe too fast but it was fun!) and the action is starting to struggle on some of the repetitions. Also did some work on relaxing that little finger but not entirely successful.

This is fun, and quite addictive.

J
J
Thanks, Chris H, for your P&F on YouTube. I'm humbled and impressed with your musical skill. It was really great watching this.

I've got quite a few videos on YouTube and the posting experience has mainly been positive; however, I have not been immune to some ridicule from a small number of posters who, literally, know everything and are acid-tongued and extremely cutting in their remarks. Some are rude too, but I've only had to remove a very few comments that went beyond civility.

I have a good quality digital camera and my grandpa records me - invariably from the treble side. We have no external mike (one video exception - 'Take 5') - so the sound really has to be watched so that we minimize distortion which is such a problem in recording the piano. We found that we had to suppress (filter) the sudden loud peaks caused at the very first of the waveform when the key is first struck. Otherwise we got quite a bit of distortion. There is a setting on our camera to do that for specifically that purpose. It works well.

What I do is (usually) record the piece twice - keep the best audio track and use the combination of video tracks to give some video effects. Obviously you can't do that with a competition video, though.

Here is an example of me playing Balakirev's "The Lark". I have never embedded a video before so don't know if this is going to work. Please keep in mind that I just turned 14-years-old.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Guess I don't know how to embed - apologies for the gibberish!

Last edited by JWAbacus; 10/21/09 10:42 AM.
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
This should do the trick, JWAbacus :-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&

Rob
No, this:

J
J
Thanks to everyone giving me valuable advice on how to embed ... keyboardklutz got it to work too, getting the actual picture on the post, but I can't seem to get that copying his exact method - I get a live link instead.

So much to learn and so little time.

Thank you all!
Respectfully,
Josh

Originally Posted by JWAbacus

So much to learn and so little time.
I can't help thinking you've learned quite a lot already! And welcome to PW. My mistake, you seem to have been around for some time. Welcome all the same.

Last edited by keyboardklutz; 10/21/09 10:50 AM.
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ah! KBK,

You beat me by a click :-)

Rob
On the net, difference between a winner and a loser mate!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission