Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 57 of 100 < 1 2 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1286957 - 10/14/09 03:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
bobjr Offline

Yea book 2 seems to be moving on pretty smoothly. The 3/4 time songs seems to be the easiest, I took a sneak peak at the German "du" song and it seems to be a lot easier than the one I am working on. Funny because in book 1 I found myself struggling with the 3/4 time and now I like it best. I have a Casio keyboard with the "touch response" and seems you can't hold the notes as long as a regular piano, but then again mine is a wk-200 cost me about 150 dollars. I will probably get something nice when I am finished with book 3.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1287059 - 10/14/09 05:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Wow. That does seem like a lot for the $$$. I'd looked a bit in the DP thread and had assumed you needed to spend upwards of 1500 to 2000 for 88 weighted keys. Thanks, sounds like I need to do some basic research.

By the way, the tip on simultaneous stac/legat worked fine. Now, if I could solve the problem in Overture of my left and right hands wanting to smash into each other....... crazy

Estonia L190 #7284

#1287412 - 10/15/09 09:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
Hello everyone! I'm jumping into the Book Two thread as I've just graduated from Book One during my lesson I while ago laugh

My teacher and I worked on the first couple of pieces Down in the Valley and Bridal Chorus and seeing as they were just reviews in the Key of C and much easier than Amazing Grace from Book 1, I almost sight-read them. I'm supposed to polish them until next week's lesson. My teacher switched my DP to "pipe organ" setting while I was playing Bridal Chorus, which elicited quite a few laughs laugh I can't wait for the more challenging pieces in the book - around where do they start?

@ JimF: I think you need to spend around $500~600 for a decent Casio entry level DP. I initially started with a Casio CTK-800 keyboard with touch response (more or less $200) and thought I was happy with it until I played some acoustics at a music store and realized how weak my fingers were (plus the PW people convinced me to get something with weighted keys). Even though my Casio PX-720 was less than $1000, it was a major decision for me but I never regretted the purchase (though I do regret that I don't have enough money to buy something better grin). I also don't have to worry about running out of keys, especially since my other non-Alfred pieces require the keys at the upper/lower end of the treble/bass.
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1287699 - 10/15/09 04:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: marimorimo]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congrats Marimorimo on your graduation! I envy your having a teacher and think its time I really gave some thought to that issue, especially if I'm going to treat myself to a new "toy". When I get to little things like the triplet in Amaz Grace which begins with d#eg arpeggiated chord and ends with dc, its pretty obvious that having a teacher show me how in the world I'm supposed to play that would really be a lot easier than trying to work it out myself. I've no idea what I would do if youtube examples were not available to hear and look at.

I'm on third day of Overture and its finally starting to come together. Does anyone else ever have what I call "happy hands?" Thats when one hand or the other which isn't doing much tries to move for no real reason.
When I watch the accomplished players on youtube their hands always seem so "quiet" to me, very controlled and relaxed, and certainly not wanting to move for no reason at all.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1287814 - 10/15/09 07:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Marimorimo,

Welcome to the Book 2 thread. The challenge will pick up fairly shortly, but if you can nearly sight read the first two you're off to a great start.

#1287816 - 10/15/09 07:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

To all newcomers to the Book 2 thread,

Feel free to post recordings of yourself playing on this thread. It's a great way to have a "tangible" product once finishing a piece and to receive feedback. Personally, I find it very enjoyable to hear everyone's interpretation and personalization of the songs, it's fun.

#1288047 - 10/16/09 06:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
marimorimo Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Does anyone else ever have what I call "happy hands?"

I don't have "happy hands:, but I have "runaway hands." grin That's when one of my hands isn't doing anything much and tends to run away from the keyboard! Sometimes, I even end up thinking "Huh? Where did my hand go?" crazy

@Waltz: I'm planning to post recordings, once I get over the laziness of bringing the laptop to the piano and connecting the midi cable to it!
30th Week Playing Piano

#1288119 - 10/16/09 10:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: marimorimo]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Introduction and Dance (combined with some serious buildup of activity with work) delayed me for a few weeks. I am currently at a reasonable level of polish on that, Streets of Laredo, and Plaisir d'Amor (pardon the spelling there, it's off the top of my head... in fact, I may not even be close... it's that Elvis piece). But until I can grab a reasonable recording, you'll have to take my word for it.

House of the Rising Sun is next. Still can't believe I am only 40 something pages into this.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1288280 - 10/16/09 02:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
justcallmesir Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
Anyone out there good with notation? This is a general question, so please take a look even if you haven't gotten to this song yet.

In Space Shuttle Blues (page 75), there are 4 beats per measure in a 4/4 time signature. The second measure is two 1/8th notes followed by one half note. That adds up to 3 quarter notes! I understand the tie to the next measure, but I still think they should show another quarter note in that measure. Comments?

The half note has an augmentation dot - making it 3 beats long. I bet im not the first to mention this - but hay ho.

#1288303 - 10/16/09 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: justcallmesir]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I had to go back and take a close look, and sure enough there is a dot in there! Amazing how I just didn't see it at all. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

#1289873 - 10/19/09 01:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
500 Post Club Member

Introduction and Dance... mercy, did I ever dislike this one.

http://www.box.net/shared/gskt2a0or7

Casio Ap-200

#1289916 - 10/19/09 02:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
500 Post Club Member

Casio Ap-200

#1289928 - 10/19/09 02:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Those were great, AW2PP! I am SO far behind you now. It takes me weeks to get a song to about half the level that you do. I was hoping to get to Book 2 before the end of the year, but I don't see that happening.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1290049 - 10/19/09 06:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Always Wanted to Play Piano]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Always Wanted to Play Piano
Introduction and Dance... mercy, did I ever dislike this one.

http://www.box.net/shared/gskt2a0or7

Well played! It's a tough piece, but it has a nice sound.

What is everyone working on now? Status updates laugh

#1290246 - 10/19/09 11:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
bobjr Offline

ETUDE opus 10 no 3.... I had been pretty much flying through book 2, but this one stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm glad because this song seems to be worth figuring out, The only song I skipped was Aloha Oe, I just cant sit there and spend hours trying to get that song right. Black Forest Polka was pretty easy once you get the pattern down, and it seems to be pretty much the same lesson learning about 1st and 2nd inversions? Is there any benefit to Aloha Oe that I will miss by skipping it? ETUDE seems to be worth trying to make a recording when its done because of the complexity.

Edited by bobjr (10/19/09 11:50 PM)

#1290525 - 10/20/09 12:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: bobjr]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aloha is simply playing triad, 1st inversion, 2nd inversion, repeat... It's an exercise in inversions, so if you can do those without issue, you didn't miss too much.

How long have you played piano bobjr? You are a very quick learner regardless smile

And, by all means, make a recording of 10/3. I'd love to hear it! A thread earlier was debating the usefulness of simplified arrangements but I think you'll find this one rewarding.

#1290561 - 10/20/09 01:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Got started on Light and Blue this morning. Just read it through, noted the repeats and harder looking spots, clapped it, and started casually picking at the right hand notes. Suspect I will like it because I have a lot of piano blues ipod tunes and really enjoy that style. Polishing Overture and Guantanamera. Your tips on Overture were very useful and it now seems almost a trivial little piece. You can't beat that feeling when what once seemed insurmountable suddenly gels - when you know its all downhill from there.

Most of my practice time recently has been in piano stores!! Decided my little unweighted keyboard will eventually hold me back, so its time to step up. Have test driven 4 or 5 manufacturers and models from the very low end to the highest. Trying to decide between a Roland HP207 and a Yamaha CLP (looking at 330,340, and 380). If anyone can provide insight to these or other digitals it would be greatly appreciated.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1290832 - 10/20/09 07:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

AWtPP, good job on those two pieces... I know Intro & Dance is a bit hard and fast too. The important thing is to capture the technique they want you to try, and later on you can go back to it to make sound better. I should follow my own advice actually as I seem to spend too much time trying to "perfect" it so I can record it, which I really don't think is necessary. I think you played it just right.

Waltz: on status update, I paused at Olympic Procession as I got busy with chords and piano accompaniment exercises. I'm hoping to get back on the horse early next week.

JimF, sorry can't help with the piano search (I did that a few times and I know it's painful), I suggest you search the forum, there is lots of info on all kinds of pianos and keyboards.

#1291146 - 10/21/09 09:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
AWtPP, good job on those two pieces... I know Intro & Dance is a bit hard and fast too. The important thing is to capture the technique they want you to try, and later on you can go back to it to make sound better. I should follow my own advice actually as I seem to spend too much time trying to "perfect" it so I can record it, which I really don't think is necessary. I think you played it just right.

Thanks, MiM. As to the technique, I wonder if anyone else noticed while they learned this... I got the sensation that my hands, especially my right hands, were moving vertically quite a bit. That I had to go up and down to fit fingers between the black keys. I mentioned this to my PT, and she said the unfamiliarity of jumping in between the black keys is the reason for this... but I thought I would throw this observation out to the rest of you.

Casio Ap-200

#1291453 - 10/21/09 06:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
Cassandra Hall Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Hi:

I would like to share my experience with DP's (digital pianos).

I started out with a Yamaha unweighted $299.00 keyboard. A year later I purchased a more advanced weighted/graded key Yamaha $1200..still not happy a year later. Then I purchased my Kawai acoustic Grand, I found it on Craig's list. Extremely happy, except my husband didn't like the loudness of it. Then the problem became finding a DP that touched like my Grand but could be practiced with head phones to keep the husband quiet, I ended up with a used Kawai MP9000 stage piano and I love it. I only have $1300. invested including a new amplifier (Peavey KB4). You definitely need weighted & graded keys its the only way you will learn touch control or at least that's what I call it. Check out your local Craig's list. My Piano Teacher has a Roland and I like it also but the touch is better on the Kawai. The reason I'm sharing this is to encourage you to not cheat yourself. "New" isn't always better. My Kawai DP was the top of the line when it was produced 10 years ago. I got a great buy on it used, so it cost me less than Yamaha's midrange weighted/graded new Digital pianos & It has better touch. I will be sending my Kawai DP after the first of the year to be serviced and lubricated just because I love it so much and I want to ensure I get the most out of it.

Good Luck shopping

Zoe Hall
Kawai KG-2
Kawai MP9000

#1291498 - 10/21/09 08:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
bobjr Offline

Originally Posted By: Waltz
Aloha is simply playing triad, 1st inversion, 2nd inversion, repeat... It's an exercise in inversions, so if you can do those without issue, you didn't miss too much.

How long have you played piano bobjr? You are a very quick learner regardless smile

And, by all means, make a recording of 10/3. I'd love to hear it! A thread earlier was debating the usefulness of simplified arrangements but I think you'll find this one rewarding.

When I was a kid a friend of mine had a piano in his living room and we used to do a lot of playing by ear, never took any lessons but always wanted to learn. 10/3 is slowly coming together, can't play it yet. I'm starting to see this piece in a whole new way. I think these are nice because it gives you a preview of what you're going to be able to play once you get good. 10/3 and Canon in D a lot of times are what draws a lot of people to piano unfortunately they are difficult so the simplified versions are nice to tie us over until we get better. How many times do you really want to play the "hokey pokey" and "he's got the whole world", I say you tend to spend more time on songs that you actually like to hear.

#1291699 - 10/22/09 08:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: bobjr]
marimorimo Offline

I had my piano lesson a while ago. Actually I never got the first two pieces really perfect but my teacher let me move on, because the pieces were quite boring, especially the first one, Down in the Valley. And I admit I was quite lazy to practice this week frown I'm glad the next pieces sound really nice - Guantanamera and Overture. I'm so excited and motivated to master them! laugh

Btw, this week it's exactly 6 months since I started to learn piano! laugh (Keeping track)

Edited by marimorimo (10/22/09 08:05 AM)
30th Week Playing Piano

#1291891 - 10/22/09 02:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: marimorimo]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the feedback, Cassandra.

Quote:
You definitely need weighted & graded keys its the only way you will learn touch control or at least that's what I call it.

Thats as I suspected. Its nice to confirm that others have been down the same road. Acoustic would be wasted for now since I'd hate to subject my wife to my repetitive banging away. Hopefully the CLP or Roland I'm trying to decide between will suffice for a good long while. I know I'm exited to get on with it. smile

Estonia L190 #7284

#1291970 - 10/22/09 04:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
Cassandra Hall Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
JimF:

your Wife will get used to the banging away as you put it.....I firmly believe that even though DP are nice, there is just no way to really learn the touch thing without an acoustic. I have both and hands down I prefer my acoustic. In regard to the spouse issue. My husband only made a point on the loudness for the first couple of months after I got the acoustic. These days He Says "I don't even notice you playing anymore"& I play with the Top open. The real reason I decided to have a DP is because I sleep not as much as my Husband does so I like to get up at 4:30 in the morning and play...he does notice when I do this, so the digital allows me to play at odd hours of the morning and night without bothering him. My only other concern is that your taste in Pianos will change as you become better accomplished. I personally have purchased 4 different digital pianos, including my beloved Kawai, over a 4 year period and 1 acoustic Kawai. Be in no rush and I still encourage looking at some high end used (I say used because there really are some great deals to be had on used instruments, I like to find the deals) stage pianos, they may not be as attractive but they do have advantages. Another thing I like about mine is the portability feature. I don't know if you do holidays at other peoples homes.....I take mine with me and play and let others also play.....really makes for a new (new old tradition) thing at Christmas, everyone now looks forward to me bringing my piano. In addition, I get loneley without my piano....my husband likes to do things away from our home on a lot of weekends...I really miss my piano when I can't play. I can now take it with me on the weekends, My husbands complaint on the digital is that it weighs in at 75 pounds, I can bearly move it but I'm also motivated. I waited 48 years to make my dream come true....& my Spouse has been very accommodating and supportive, I'm sure yours will be just as supportive. Are you set on a Brand new DP? if so why new?

Zoe Hall
Kawai KG-2
Kawai MP9000

#1291983 - 10/22/09 05:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: marimorimo]
bobjr Offline

@Marimorimo

after you get a little further if you go back and try it again you will probably be able to play it easily. I had a little trouble getting motivated to play "Down in the valley" , I wish they could have chosen a better sounding song to start book 2, but the songs get better and better as you go on. "Down in the Valley" and "Aloha Oe" so far seem to be the only 2 songs I just couldn't find the motivation for.

Edited by bobjr (10/22/09 05:10 PM)

#1292017 - 10/22/09 06:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: bobjr]
Quagles Offline

I need some advice. I've ordered the 2nd all in one book, only got Amazing Grace left and I think I finally got those damn arpeggios down so I think I'm gonna be done soon. The problem is the book might not be here for 3-4 weeks, so I need something that can occupy me until it arrives. Anyone got some suggestions ? As in free pieces which I can find on the net and have a go at. Ordering a supplemental book would just take ages :p

Around difficulty start of 2nd book / End of first book so I won't get too frustrated and can prepare a bit for the 2nd book. I just have no idea what I'm good enough to work at so anyone suggestions would be welcome.

#1292029 - 10/22/09 06:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Quagles]
marimorimo Offline

Hi Quagles, nice to see you in Book 2 laugh

This site with free piano sheet music has often been recommended: Gmajormusictheory. You're probably in Beginner Level 3 or 4 (or you can challenge yourself to any of the other levels if you like!). But personally I really recommend you to try playing classical music (also available under "Keyboard Classics" at the site I linked) because playing classical music teaches you left hand independence - something that I believe is sorely lacking in Alfred, at least up to where I am in the series as of the moment. I find classical music requires a bit more technique (and more of a challenge for me) than Alfred. You can probably reasonably master any piece from any Level 1 book of Classical Repertoire collection.
30th Week Playing Piano

#1292039 - 10/22/09 06:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Quagles]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quagles, welcome aboard!

What you can do is preview the book online. I know I saw it a few days ago, but I can't place it again. It might be here:

http://www.tower.com/books/preview/isbn/0882846167

This has most of Book 1, but I'm sure I saw the same for Book 2.

#1292113 - 10/22/09 09:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
marimorimo Offline

bobjr: Yes, I'm planning to go back to those 2 pieces once in a while just so I can say I really "mastered" them. I find them quite easy, but I get these hiccups here and there (I have a problem with extended positions). Unfortunately, the tunes themselves weren't inspiring enough to motivate me to practice. In the case of Bridal Chorus, I felt really embarassed playing it though I like the tune, because I think any people who can hear it in the apartment would think it weird that I was playing wedding music! frown grin
30th Week Playing Piano

#1292122 - 10/22/09 09:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: marimorimo]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like everybody is doing very well here, thanks for the updates thumb

It's nice to see the thread active and full again

Page 57 of 100 < 1 2 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (Atrys, 3rd Ear, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1130 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission