2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Morodiene, I agree, and that's why I posted the llnks.

Barb860, sorry to hear about the deaths and the paralysis victims, very tragic, and this is one of the reasons why I posted the 2 links above.

As I mentioned before, it would NOT hurt to have one's VitD3 levels checked, not only for the flu, but for a host of other reasons explained here: www.vitamindcouncil.org

Last edited by grandpianoman; 10/24/09 12:13 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
We have huge numbers out around here, our local school's latest number is 7%.
I have not changed my policies, although it is clear parents expect me to.

One mom said to me "why can't I get a credit on my bill? He was sick with H1N1, not just the flu".

I have to stick with it, I have beeen burned too many times. "give an inch...." Word gets out and suddenly everyone has it. I know it sounds terrible, but it has happened through the years.

I try to make up the lessons whenever possible, but when I don't get notice early enough, I can't get a child to fill that spot for a make-up. Most parents understand and those are the ones that get dibs on the first open spots for make-ups. I think it was Gary that once said he will bend over backwards to help the families that treat him well. That's how it goes with me too.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
The paralysis is most likely a scary but temporary problem...

Guillian Barr

Last edited by Mark...; 10/27/09 10:43 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene
grandpianoman, I saw that video the other day...really makes you think. Why have there not been studies done on the people who have supposedly died from the swine flu to find out if it was the flu or other health issues that caused the death?

Beware of anyone selling you something, newspapers or alternatives to proven medical treatments. The CBS article is yellow journalism at it's finest. The reason the tests were stopped was because they were extremely expensive, and most state health departments cannot afford to continue testing. They also had no effect on actual patient treatment, because they take days to get results.

Both a lack of infrastructure(hey, who wants to pay taxes for that! I am saving for a speedboat.) and lack of immediate usefulness is the culprit.

Most tests came back negative, but that is not surprising, since a lot of things cause flu like symptoms, like mom's potato salad. What is surprising is that there should be virtually NO flu during the time that those tests were taken.

Lastly, while routine testing is not done, random sampling IS done, and those reports are available to everyone here:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivity.htm

It reports lab results and symptom only reports separately. And anyone with two brain cells to rub together can read the charts and see the lab results include subtype testing.

It's very likely the N1H1 is going to be a lot less severe than previously indicated. The largest group that die from flu, the very old, are mostly immune. But we will see a dramatic increase in younger people getting the flu and dying from it.(compared to previous years)

Last edited by appleman; 10/28/09 07:28 AM. Reason: sometimes linux hates me.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Vaccines always carry risks, of which Guillain-Barre is one.

Medicine is rarely an either/or proposition. Careful calculations are done with the vaccines.

They think:

If a person takes the vaccine, they'll have a 0.5% chance of a bad reaction, and an 0.02% chance of dying. (I'm making these numbers up.)

If a person doesn't take the vaccine, they'll have a 2% chance of getting the flu, of which 0.3% of dying.

Obviously, taking the vaccine gives you a better chance, but nothing is a sure thing. I pick up some of the literature my wife gets from time to time, and I've noticed that the medical literature is all about percentages. No drug is 100% effective or 100% safe, and doctors are constantly having to weigh the benefits vs. the risks.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I would not want a child of mine to be taking lessons from a teacher who either teaches when he or she is sick or provides his or her students with any incentive (such as no make-ups, no refunds, or any other incentive) to go to a lesson when the student is ill. You can't sterilize the keys between lessons!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
You can't sterilize the keys between lessons!

Ummm, yes you can, and I do.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
All you have to do is have your child wash their hands as soon as they get home. May as well have them wash hands as soon as they get home from school too.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I don't think it is as simple as that. There are plenty of opportunities for germs to be transmitted before the kid gets home to the soap and water!

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Look, most of the time kids with diseases are infectious a couple of days PRIOR to even having symptoms. All we can do is have kids cover their coughs and wash hands.

M
M
Originally Posted by appleman
grandpianoman, I saw that video the other day...really makes you think. Why have there not been studies done on the people who have supposedly died from the swine flu to find out if it was the flu or other health issues that caused the death?

Beware of anyone selling you something, newspapers or alternatives to proven medical treatments. The CBS article is yellow journalism at it's finest. The reason the tests were stopped was because they were extremely expensive, and most state health departments cannot afford to continue testing. They also had no effect on actual patient treatment, because they take days to get results.

No one is trying to sell me anything, I assure you. I know there's a lot of misinformation out there from all sectors. I don't think it's a matter of testing everyone to see if it's the swine flu or not that is at issue (correct me if I am misunderstanding what you're trying to say). Of course, testing a patient does take time to find out what the problem is, and there's really no treatment for the flu. However, I think it would be very helpful to know if people who are dying from the swine flu are dying from that or from complications with other pre-existing conditions. For the majority of people for whom the swine flu is not deadly, the best immunity is a natural one, as you state with regard to the elderly.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
No one is trying to sell me anything, I assure you.
The link, Dr. Mercola's Natural Health Center, is promoting pseudoscience wellness treatments for both people and pets!

The CBS story is also trying to sell newspapers and advertisements.

I know there's a lot of misinformation out there from all sectors.
I agree there is a lot of misinformation from both News Papers selling the extreme danger and the conspiracy theorists who believe "Big Pharma" is conspire to make you unhealthy and has just the thing for $19.99.
However, I think it would be very helpful to know if people who are dying from the swine flu are dying from that or from complications with other pre-existing conditions.

While I agree it would be very helpful to know if everyone who died had pre-existing conditions, however, are you willing to accept an increase in taxes to pay for that kind of testing?

The CDC estimates that 45% of people are completely healthy. They don't test everyone for pre-existing conditions, they just do random sampling. While random sampling is not always perfectly accurate, it can be compared to other sampling.

For the majority of people for whom the swine flu is not deadly, the best immunity is a natural one, as you state with regard to the elderly.
No. I stated that the elderly are immune because they were exposed to swine flu in the 1970s.

The best defense is to get immunized for children and young adults. Older adults, especially those around during the late 1970's are immune and shouldn't bother.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by appleman
I stated that the elderly are immune because they were exposed to swine flu in the 1970s.

The best defense is to get immunized for children and young adults. Older adults, especially those around during the late 1970's are immune and shouldn't bother.

Sorry, that's not correct. Only people born in the early 50s have a slight immunity to this strain. Maybe you're mixing it up with the Hong Kong flu?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I read a nice little history of H1N1 in New Scientist recently:-

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18063-timeline-the-secret-history-of-swine-flu.html?full=true

And if anybody is interested, IMO a great site for up-to-date info is:-

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks LaValse for the history of H1N1...very informative. Whether you choose vaccination or not...I think it's important to have someone remind parents to keep their kids away from cigarette smoke.

Think of this huge tobacco industry, and how many adults and kids are exposed to smoke daily. I suspect it is a factor in why some kids succumb to a flu virus that the vast majority have no problem with.

But gathering information in this area is sensitive...who wants to try to find out how much kids are exposed to second hand cigarette (and marajuana) smoke? Parents are likely to get offended and lie anyway. Still, I think this is important information to know. Even if parents refuse to stop smoking around the kids...they perhaps should be targeted for vaccine. Let health officials announce that if you smoke around your child that it affects the child's ability to recover from the flu. Emphasize it, take it seriously. And also target these at risk kids for vaccination. As I mentioned before...I am interested in "the rest of the story".

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
How about having a real "war on drugs" and begin by banning cigarette sales during flu outbreaks! That would throw people into a tailspin. LOL! But it would also protect the health of many children (IMO).

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Got another student out with the flu this week. Does this thing ever end??

All the other students recovered their health, but not their piano playing. They have so much school work to make up, they put piano on the back burner.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I haven't had anyone sick with the specific flu yet, but I'd be willing to say that if it hits all at once, there will be a week or two or up to a month of interrupted lessons.

I would think this puts the student behind in every area of his or her life. They do answer to many masters. And, I think the seriousness of what they experienced in being sick has left them with a lot less energy than they had before. It may take a little recovery time to get back into the full schedule and be producing well in all areas.

I'd be willing to wait that period out because well being and productivity is not something you can demand if there has been an illness that affected all systems of the body and brain.

I'd advise giving the student time to regain their footing before expecting the pace to increase. I would never consider piano lessons as being the "back burner". There is always something constructive that can be done at a lesson.

As a mother, I've had children of my own who were ill with different things - mono, virus, flu, a one month in hospital bed recovery from a broken shoulder, knee injuries, and 2 of my daughters have my weak immune system which means when we get ill it's harder on us, longer in every way and we feel absolutely lousy when sick. One grandchild also inherited this. When you have experience in caring for sick people, you gain a wealth of experience in knowing what recovery periods are like.

I'm sorry you feel this way about your students because it is actually more about your expectations of producing competitively focused students regardless of the circumstances they are facing.

I think giving yourself a temporary break from this agenda for your sick students will make you a more compassionate teacher. Otherwise the picture I am seeing is that it's all about time and effort and proficiency and winning more than it is about the inspiration of having music in their lives. I think we all need some balance in determining what are the best ways to handle certain challenges and interruptions to our ambitions. It serves no purpose to be irate about things like this.

I don't think we were talking about students taking advantage of the situation - we were talking about - when there are serious interruptions to the flow of our aspirations.

I don't think illness and recovery can be hurried.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I kid you not--one more student out with the flu today! [Linked Image]

This past Saturday and Monday, two students had their regularly-scheduled lessons after recovering from the flu. It was an exercise in sight reading.

[Linked Image]

I have never seen so many kids out sick, and it's still early in the flu season. This is projecting to be a horrible winter.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission