Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 73 of 100 < 1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1575263 - 12/12/10 12:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Hi, beenlookin! It sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on finding your new piano.

I took a break from Christmas music to get back to "Mexican Hat Dance". It's coming along really well considering the lack of attention I've given it. And I like it better than the other Mexican pieces so far.

It's pouring rain, nasty and windy this moring, and I'm missing church and brunch with my son to stay warm and dry at home, so I should get in lots of practice today.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1579108 - 12/18/10 12:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Danny84 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hey, new here. I've been playing piano for a year now. I finished with the first Alfred AIO book and I'm about 2/3 done with book 2. I'm on "Theme from Musetta's Waltz".

I was wondering if anyone else also plays other pieces from other books while working with the all in one books? I have a few books for easy piano that I work with. I was thinking about trying the Alfred's Masterwork Classic books. Has anyone else tried those? If so, would you recommend them?
Favorite Classic Themes, Easy Piano

#1579171 - 12/18/10 02:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Danny84]
Emissary52 Online   happy

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Hi, Danny84 and welcome! I finished up Alfred's Adult book 1 in August and started AIO 2 then promptly got bored with the selections and ended up buying Masterwork Classics
Volumes 1-2 through Vol 6. I really enjoy the Masterworks Classics and I've done about 80% of Vol 1-2 (a single book) and started on a couple of Vol 3 pieces. The series is excellent and the CD's that come with each book are nicely done with just a piano, unlike the mess on the CD versions for the Adult AIO books with their cheesy accompanyment! crazy

Treat yourself to a couple of those MC books! The fact that you've gotten so far through AIO 2 has earned you my "undying admiration"! grin I played around with Overture from Raymond the other night and it went so much better than the first time around. I'll probably return to AIO 2 after I finish Masterworks Classics Vol 3. By then, my musical skills will allow me to "quickly" get through some of the "less enchanting pieces" in AIO 2! grin

Edited by Emissary52 (12/18/10 02:15 AM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1579336 - 12/18/10 09:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, Danny84! I highly recommend the Masterwork Classics too. I've only worked through the first 5 pieces in the level 1-2, which are very easy, but I've listened to the CD while following the rest of the book, and there are some really nice pieces there.

#1579469 - 12/18/10 02:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Danny84 Offline

Hey thanks guys. I think I will get the Masterwork Classics. I just think I need more pieces to try out before finishing up with AIO book 2 and going on to AIO book 3.

#1579650 - 12/18/10 08:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Danny84]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Hello, everyone! I'm new posting here, though I've been lurking from time to time.

A few bits of information. I started playing in January 2010 using the Alfred's AIO series. I don't have a teacher (but should). I'm on "Night Song" in Book 2 of the Alfred's AIO book. This is a fun one to play. There have been a couple of pieces that I just didn't like that I passed on after playing them a few times (La Bamba was one) but by and large I'm trying to do justice to each piece because, well, I'm learning to play.

My husband is also playing piano. Unlike me, he had lessons as a child and I think everything he learned some 40 years ago has come back to him--he's playing original versions of ragtime pieces now.

At any rate, I'm enjoying playing. No better feeling than having something click and start sounding like honest to gosh music!

#1579654 - 12/18/10 08:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Stubbie]
Stubbie Offline

By the way, does anyone know who the composer of "Night Song" is? I did a web search but didn't come up with anything. strange that the book doesn't say anything about the source.

#1579666 - 12/18/10 08:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Stubbie]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stubbie
Hello, everyone! I'm new posting here, though I've been lurking from time to time.

A few bits of information. I started playing in January 2010 using the Alfred's AIO series. I don't have a teacher (but should). I'm on "Night Song" in Book 2 of the Alfred's AIO book. This is a fun one to play. There have been a couple of pieces that I just didn't like that I passed on after playing them a few times (La Bamba was one) but by and large I'm trying to do justice to each piece because, well, I'm learning to play.

My husband is also playing piano. Unlike me, he had lessons as a child and I think everything he learned some 40 years ago has come back to him--he's playing original versions of ragtime pieces now.

At any rate, I'm enjoying playing. No better feeling than having something click and start sounding like honest to gosh music!

I did the same thing when i got to la bamba. I mean i played it, but not to perfection and kind of skipped over it. It's a horrible arrangement in my opinion. That's the only piece so far that I really didn't pay much mind to because it was getting me so frustrated haha.

#1580212 - 12/19/10 06:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Danny84 Offline

I just downloaded the Basic book 2 (not the all in one) to get the pieces that are not in the All-In-One book 2. Does anyone know if the basic book 1 has any extra songs that the All-In-One book 1 doesnt have? Or is it just with Book 2?

#1580255 - 12/19/10 07:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Danny84]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Danny84
I just downloaded the Basic book 2 (not the all in one) to get the pieces that are not in the All-In-One book 2. Does anyone know if the basic book 1 has any extra songs that the All-In-One book 1 doesnt have? Or is it just with Book 2?

Don't quote me on it. But I believe it's just book 2. Because the AIO book 1 has a lot more songs and material covered than the basic version. I checked out the table of contents on amazon.com and their pretty similar give or take a couple songs. But they are all slightly different, mainly the pieces taught. Check amazon.com, they let you preview books and you can check out the table of contents.

Edited by joeb84 (12/19/10 07:32 PM)

#1580283 - 12/19/10 08:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
I work on a lot of other material outside of Alfreds. When I went through book #1, I probably worked 75% out of Alfred and 25% out of other books. Now with book #2, I'm doing about 25% Alfred and 75% elsewhere.

I've done probably half of the Masterworks book. At one point I hated it. Now I'm loving it.
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1580334 - 12/19/10 10:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GracieCat]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GracieCat
I work on a lot of other material outside of Alfreds. When I went through book #1, I probably worked 75% out of Alfred and 25% out of other books. Now with book #2, I'm doing about 25% Alfred and 75% elsewhere.

I've done probably half of the Masterworks book. At one point I hated it. Now I'm loving it.

That's about what I've been doing lately, 25% Alfred and 75% other things.

I've listened to the CD from the Masterwork book, and there are a couple that I really like and can't wait to get to. I'm working my way up to them.

#1580634 - 12/20/10 01:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mom3gram]
beenlookin Offline

Loc: Nevada
Hi Danny

I recently got a book of gospel songs rated early intermediate. I've been working on one song from this book just to keep me from going Alfred crazy. Don't get me wrong, I actually like a lot of the Alfred's but I think it's nice to have something to break up the scales & Alfred. My teacher encouraged me to work on it as well.

I'm currently working on Brahms Lullaby and I think it's Lonesome Road?

Happy Holidays!

#1580678 - 12/20/10 02:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Danny84 Offline

Good stuff beenlookin, Brahms lullaby wasn't too hard and its a nice song once you learn it. Lonesome road wasn't too hard either. Good luck with those!

#1583523 - 12/24/10 05:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

Had a good practice session today. Some days nuthin' goes right and the best thing to do is put it aside for awhile and come back later. Today's practice was mostly Lullaby, Night Song, and Hava Nagila. Night Song is going well (IMO) and I really enjoy playing and hearing it. Lullaby was hard for me to get the timing right in the first full measure. Seems like it's coming together a little more now that I have the tempo more up to speed.

Hava Nagila has me wondering if I need to do some hand exercises. That left hand is a workout! I haven't been doing scales or anything else that would build up my strength, so have no one but myself to blame!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

--Stubbie

#1583571 - 12/24/10 07:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, I will play some of my Christmas pieces for my grandkids, and they will play some for me. After tomorrow, I will be hitting Book 2 with renewed energy and focus.

Happy playing, everyone!

#1591551 - 01/06/11 12:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mom3gram]
beenlookin Offline

Loc: Nevada
Now that the holidays are over, I thought I'd check in. Currently working on...

Village Dance. I've got the song but need to work on the technique.
Hokey Pokey. Just getting going on this one.
Jacob's Ladder (Not in book)
Scales, scales, scales!

I hope everyone had a great holiday and is moving forward with their practicing.

#1593377 - 01/08/11 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
GracieCat Offline

I was thinking the same thing beenlookin...time to check in.

I've put the Christmas book away until next year. I've spent the last week reviewing all the pieces in Alfred's #2 book to see how far I technically am. I've had to stop at Alexanders Ragtime Band. I've made some progress on it, but it still needs some work.

I'm planning on calling a new piano teacher this coming week for a few months worth of lessons. I did buy a digital piano before Christmas. It's been great to be able to practice when the kids are in bed or watching TV.

#1593449 - 01/08/11 05:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

Christmas books put away here too. I'm reviewing "Mexican Hat Dance" and working on two pieces from my Faber Adult Book, and 2 pieces from the Masterwork Classics book.

Good luck with your teacher search, GracieCat.

#1593658 - 01/08/11 11:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
All my Christmas stuff is put away too.

Finished up Solace at my last lesson

I'm currently smoothing out La Raspa, still plugging away at La Bamba but making good progress on it, and am working on My Heart Will Go On from Greatest Hits 2.

Hope you find a good teacher GracieCat.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1593857 - 01/09/11 10:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
new-at-piano Offline

Loc: Texas
Hope y'all don't mind a newcomer jumping in.

I looked through several forums before I found this one, and kept seeing things like "my teacher is amazed at how fast I'm progressing", and "I finished Alfred's book 1 in 6 weeks, skipped book 2, and am half way through book 3". It's nice to find a forum of normal people. I'm not a musical prodigy or piano genius. I'm just a skinny old fart with a little pot belly and a mess of grandkids, and I thought playing the piano looked like fun. It took me over a year to muddle through book 1, and my teacher's reaction to my progress leans more toward tolerance than amazement.

I tend to breeze through the songs I like and struggle with the songs I don't, and I'm ok with that. I just like pounding on the keys and occassionally bumping into something that sounds like music. Heck, once in while I catch my wife singing along with my playing; and a couple of times she was even singing the same song I was playing. Just started book 2 and enjoying it so far...

#1593933 - 01/09/11 12:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: new-at-piano]
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome, New-at-piano! This may make you feel like a prodigy, but it took me two years to finish Book 1, and I've already been on Book 2 for a year. Started it January 1 of last year. I'm self-taught, and my "teacher" (me) is also amazed at how far I've come. LOL

Today I started "Tarantella" and the first line of "Village Dance". Still a little slow with "Mexican Hat Dance" but it sounds pretty good otherwise. But I need a refresher course on 6/8 time - I understand the concept, sort of, but I don't think I could count it correctly if I were playing a piece I wasn't familiar with.

#1593991 - 01/09/11 01:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
GracieCat Offline

new-at-the-piano, welome! Glad you're joining us. It's good to see someone enjoying the journey instead of beating themselves up getting to a certain point. That said, I'm skipping the songs I can't stand. I'll beat through them a few times and move on. smile

#1594287 - 01/09/11 10:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

anyone having trouble or stuck at the chromatic scale part or is it me? im feeling like i hit a wall there. i dunno whats going on.

#1594754 - 01/10/11 02:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

I'm finding the chromatic scales okay if I concentrate on my fingering. I'm having more trouble with Hokey Pokey--I just don't have the "swing" of it right yet.

I'm having fun with Hava Nagila--it's maybe my favorite piece in the book so far. It's got a lot of energy and it's a longer piece, which is kinda fun. I'm still no where near adept at playing it well yet, though, lol. The piece following it, Space Shuttle Blues, seems pretty short and easy by comparison.

Last night I went through Olympic Procession for the first time, just a tentative once-through. Quite a switch from Hava Nagila!

Made a trip to the music store last week and purchased Book 3 of the All-in-One series. It's waiting for me....

#1596316 - 01/12/11 08:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
Had a lesson today. My one year anniversary with my teacher is tomorrow. We spent some time at the last lesson and today talking about my progress and he said I am making good progress and sees much improvement every time he sees me. He also said he can tell I am very committed and put a lot of effort in.

On another note, I am almost done with the Mexican section. La Bamba just needs a little fine tuning, La Raspa is finished, and I got passed on For He's Jolly Good Fellow. We started on Mexican Hat Dance. I'll probably start Tarantella on my own before the next lesson. grin yippie

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1596330 - 01/12/11 08:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Doug F]
1000 Post Club Member

You'll be passing me up any time now, Doug. LOL I never did get all the way through La Bamba, and my Mexican Hat Dance is still very slow. I just listened again to PianoNoobAlex play it on youtube, and I can't believe how fast his fingers are, and how steady he keeps the pulse in the left hand. I don't think my fingers will ever be that fast.

I've also worked on the first line of "Festive Dance". That one could be fun!

#1599528 - 01/17/11 06:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Wakingpiano Offline

Hi I am in book 2 not aio. Sup

Edited by Wakingpiano (01/17/11 07:45 PM)

#1600119 - 01/18/11 02:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
i-Scherzo Offline

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Hi. I've just been looking at all your experiences with Alfred AIO level 2.

I'm new to this site and I can relate to some of the problems you have been having with La Bamba, Hava Nagila etc. I too, had problems with these and practiced them until my fingers bled, but with limited success. I am also a self taught 47 year old duffer, who has "dabbled" with keyboards in the past.

In my own experience with this problem: If I got too caught up trying to perfect these pieces, I just move on and worked through the book. But. I have made a point of after getting a few of the further pieces perfected, I then go back to the peices I faultered on. I have found that I do eventually crack them (although I still have dificulty with the above songs!). I perfected Deep River (p130). Then before I moved on to EbMaj I spent much time reviewing "right back" to the beginning of the book and really worked on those pieces that stumped me. I have now just got the hang of The Battle Hymn: the transition to the corus and swapping of the rythm from left, to right, then back again gave me a real headache, but Now I have perfected it. What a breakthrough moment that was (yipee!). I have now just perfected Love's greeting on Page 135, the pedal marks on bar 13 (unlucky for some), threw me slightly, but I soon managed to co-ordinate them.

It takes plenty of patience (and frustration) but I have now made some of those much longed for breakthroughs. Again, I promise you will find some pieces easier than others.

I would be glad to hear more of your experiences with this book, before I move on to level 3.

PS: does anyone keep stumbling over Bar 13 (Must be my unlucky number) of Musetta's waltz? Arghh! frustrating, but I think It is comming to me...

I bought myself a Yamaha DGX-630 last year, complete with Pedal board (a must, as I hated chasing loose pedals around the floor with my foot) and so far I am pleased with it . Does anyone else own one of these?

#1600185 - 01/18/11 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Wakingpiano Offline

Frustrated right now with much of book 2. I have played it all the way through, however, and realize how slow I am. ARggghhhhhh. I would say I have the first half of the book about 50-75% and the second half about 10-40% good. I can play any of them if I go reeaaaallll slow bit that's just annoying. I guess u hot to do what u got to do.

Page 73 of 100 < 1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (Almaviva, ASLevelMusicTheory, angga888, accordeur, Alux, 43 invisible), 1490 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251480 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission