2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
This is my first post.
I need help from people who have access to a lot of pianos and have experience with small pianos.
I need to know which spinet piano models stand out from the rest.
The type that is well built and sounds great.
I live in a small house and I have to bring the volume down but not the sound quality.
I have a feeling my wife and kids are not too thrilled at my playing difficult passages over and over again.
Digital piano is out of the question because I am a die hard acoustic.
I got to have an actual hammer at the end of the keys I am pushing.
I also don't like the felt that goes between the hammer and the strings.
My mission is to find a spinet that is as close to a grand piano, only softer.
Is this impossible?

Last edited by nowiesubs; 10/21/09 08:14 PM.
T
T
Spinet pianos have much smaller soundboards than other pianos, so none of them are going to sound as good as a larger upright, and none will come close to the sound of a grand. I usually recommend Yamaha or Kawai. Steinway and Schimmel also have budget lines of pianos that are made in China, but should have better quality control than other Chinese pianos. Yamaha also makes a silent piano that can be played like an accoustic upright or silenced and you can listen to the sound of a synthesized piano through headphones.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
In a word....no.

The string length and soundboard area of even the best spinet couldn't come close to even a baby grand.

Why not consider a console or studio upright and baffle the back/ Or, get a good piano with a Quiet-Time" system, available from PianoDisc and QRS. This would allow for silent play when needed with good touch.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

subs
I don't think a spinet is even built today, to my knowledge. But for used pianos look at the Wurlitzer and Acrosonic spinets. I buy most I can lay my paws on and they are frequently better than taller consoles.
Regards
Mike

Owner, Kitt Fine Pianos
Albuquerque,
Hallet Davis & Co., old M&H's of course
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Spinets as a catagory were discontinued over 20 years ago. The best built and performing were Acrosonic by Baldwin. Most of these are over the hill at this point. Console pianos are the norm now in smaller verticals with better and more responsive key actions and better tone and sustain.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the replies.
I would be looking for consoles then.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I regularly service a few Yamaha spinets. They are much nicer than most of the other spinets out there.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
In a word....no.

The string length and soundboard area of even the best spinet couldn't come close to even a baby grand.

Really?? A Baldwin Acrosonic would be blown away by a Kimball LaPetite?? Based on my limited experience playing said pianos at retirement homes my grandma has lived at (Acro is at current place), I MUCH prefer the '51 Acro over the few-decade-newer LaPetite!

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Why not consider a console or studio upright and baffle the back/ Or, get a good piano with a Quiet-Time" system, available from PianoDisc and QRS. This would allow for silent play when needed with good touch.

My vote for a studio upright would go to the Baldwin Hamilton. The ones built before 1987 (be sure to look under "Hamilton", not "Baldwin" for dating by serial number) are some of my favorite vertical pianos.

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Check out this guy playing some boogie woogie on a 1942 Baldwin Acrosonic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGh0aXD2_bE

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
B
BDB Offline
B
A spinet is not especially less loud than a larger upright, and often gives less control over the dynamics, so you cannot play them as softly.

It may be counterintuitive, but you probably should consider a studio upright. A piano with a full-sized action gives the best control. Studios are the smallest pianos that offer that.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Have you yet heard about a MUTE pedal on the newer uprights?

I would suggest that you look at 48-52 inche uprights of better qualities to get something that will sound very nice to you and see if they also have this MUTE pedal which would allow you to play very softly while practicing those measures over and over again. You push down the MUTE pedal and all the keys will play softly.

I have often recommended the newer Yamaha U series, the best now being the YUS5 (hope I have that number correct)

They will range in the $10,000 plus

Less $ might be the tall Charles Walter uprights.

German uprights will usually cost quite a bit more. Beautiful tones though.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
Spinets as a catagory were discontinued over 20 years ago. The best built and performing were Acrosonic by Baldwin. Most of these are over the hill at this point. Console pianos are the norm now in smaller verticals with better and more responsive key actions and better tone and sustain.

Old Acrosonics may be over the hill, but if they are, the slope downhill is very long and gradual. I got one when when it was age 38 and sold it at age 50. I'm sure I went downhill faster during that time. The darned thing held a tuning really well and never had a mechanical issue. During the 12 years of use, my 'better' piano was in storage because I couldn't afford to fix it. Granted, the old Acro had a muted muffled quality to the tone, but my wife was extemely fond of the non-intrusive nature of that old Acro. She sometimes still mentions it in a gently passive aggressive way. grin

Nowie,

How much money do you want to put into this? If less than 1k, an old Acro is the way to go. Plenty available too in most markets. For .8k to 1.5k, a used Kawai CE series console would be an even better choice. If you're thinking new, shop consoles around 116 cm. Even some of the so-called percussive Asian pianos have something quiet in this price range, and they are not compromised by the extreme build-to-a-low-pricepoint approach that you find in some of the stuff betweeen 108 and 112cm.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'll second what BDB said about spinets not being lower in volume than bigger pianos. I played a Baldwin Acrosonic spinet for many years. It was a pretty nice little piano (for its size)-- BUT --- BIG BUT - - -

It was VERY loud. Due to the extremely light action I found it quite difficult (my wife would say impossible) to play quietly. If you want quiet get something with longer keys that will give you more control and more feel to the action.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 10/22/09 01:23 PM. Reason: typo

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
A new set of hammers on an old LOUD Acrosonic can do wonders.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission