2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
OP Offline
Thanks to a really nice response from my short video tutorial a week or so ago, I've started to put together a new YouTube lesson series to cover Claude Debussy's "Clair de lune". The first lesson here is an overview of the whole piece, and a preview of the some of the camera angles, digital score views, and computer simulated damper pedal views for multiple learning perspectives. This lesson series is designed for the beginning adult pianist in mind, so consider yourself warmly invited to participate even if you've never played the piano or read a note of music before! Please leave comments and questions if you need help with specific spots as we cover the piece - we can interleave those responses with the lesson series as needed.

Here's the first lesson's overview:

Enjoy!

Last edited by Hugh Sung; 08/22/09 10:57 AM.
N
N
Very excited to start learning this with you. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

OP Offline
Thanks, Natdad! I'll post these as quickly as i can edit them - i record the lessons in 1-2 hour batches, then break them up into 5-8 minute lesson videos. Lesson #2 coming up right now!

OP Offline
Lesson #2: The Key Signature

Before watching this video, you might want to check out this overview of navigating the piano and the basics of the note names:

Star Wars Piano Basics

Then you should watch this video to learn how G clefs work:

Star Wars G clef and note reading basics

We'll talk about the special rules governing the notes in this piece, and some possible reasons why Claude Debussy decided to use black keys instead of white ones, which would've been easier to play.
You can download a PDF of the score as part of the Suite Bergamasque from IMSLP.org here:
IMSLP.org

You can also download the MusicReader version of Clair de lune itself here:
MusicReader Version for Annotating

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I'm following this closely. Curious as to how it plays out... laugh

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
If anyone is looking for the sheets for this, it's right here:

http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=855#

It's public domain so no copyright issues...

P
P
Thanks Hugh, I'm feeling inspired to give it a go now!

Will definately be following your youtube lessons (especially once you get past the basics, but they are just great for beginners - and thanks for the contrast between playing in different keys!).

Thanks again

Collyermum

Irmler grand 5'3"
Lever harp about grade 6.
(Grade 8 flute and voice, a long time ago now...)

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I'm in.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Hugh for these lessons, I'm sure many will find them very helpful and inspiring! For all those who ponder whether to give Debussy a go or not, I encourage you to try smile Clair de Lune is a very special piece somehow. It is pretty difficult, even though it may not sound so - but it gives a great amount of fun and pleasure. I must say I didn't particularly like this piece when I started it year ago, but now after playing it for some time I grew extremely fond of it. Not many other pieces gave me so much satisfaction as Clair de Lune did.

Having said all that, have fun!
M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the score link, Mark, but this appears to be for a Flute and Piano arrangement - it took a little digging, but I was able to find the solo piano arrangement from the same site here:

http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=608

You can also download a 1905 edition arrangement as a PDF from here (extracted from the full Suite Bergamasque available at IMSLP.org):

http://airturn.com/musicreader-library/piano-solos/debussy-clair-de-lune-pdf/download

Enjoy!

OP Offline
Lesson #3: The First Measure

Now we get started learning the very first notes of Debussy's "Clair de lune". Using the G clefs in both hands, we can easily map out where to find the notes, keeping in mind the special rules governed by the Key Signature that changes most of the notes to flats. We also learn about ties and how they're used to extend the length of notes. I also show how I'm using a special program to better illustrate how I'm using the damper pedal (far right) to control how notes are sustained and released.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hugh,
I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into these lessons, and I look forward to participating in this one. I must admit I'm surprised to hear you encouraging people who have "never played the piano or read a note of music before" to attempt a piece of this difficulty. I've been playing three years and believe this is going to be an ambitious project. Regardless, I look forward to following your lessons and adding this beautiful piece to my repertoire.

OP Offline
Hi Bluekeys - you raise some excellent points! This is indeed a challenging piece to play, but I believe three primary ingredients will help anyone - and I do mean, anyone, particularly beginners - learn and master this work:
1. Love
2. Focus
3. Fun

This little story might help explain how these ingredients can be applied to music pedagogy:

Many years ago, I met the most amazing, beautiful woman in the world, but there was a slight problem - she didn't speak English, and I didn't speak Korean! I had tried to learn the language as a teenager, but never got beyond a few rudimentary phrases, the alphabet, and basic grammar. I simply didn't have a strong enough motivation to learn, and quickly gave up after a number of half-hearted attempts. But when I met this woman, suddenly I had all the motivation in the world to not only learn Korean, but learn it as fast and as quickly as possible! (If you haven't guessed, that's my "love" ingredient wink
I honestly had no idea where to start - it seemed so overwhelming a task, to try to master an entire language fast enough (I was afraid she'd lose interest in a guy she couldn't talk to!); I had some old grammar books, but they seemed so useless starting with basic "Hello" and "goodbye", number counting and useless vocabulary when what I really wanted to talk about was what I had seen at the beach, what my favorite foods were, the interesting concerts I heard/played....rather than get overwhelmed with cramming an entire language all at once, I purposely decided to limit my study to just 5 words a day. That's it. The 5 words would be ones with immediate application, some nouns, and at least one verb and one adjective mixed in. That was my "focus" ingredient.
Limiting my focus made the gargantuan task much more manageable, a bite at a time. To help with the memorization, I started making a comic book - yes, that's right, a comic book, where I would take about the syllables of each word and draw visual association mnemonics. For example, I would draw a picture of a girl named "Jill", with her looking up at the "moon" with a question mark over her head - "jill-moon" is the Korean word for "question". Worked like a charm.

Long story short, we fell in love, got married, and to this day she is the love of my life! Hard to believe that once upon a time, my biggest dream was to just be able to have an actual conversation with this woman!

I'm hoping that for folks who really love this piece, that will be the "love" ingredient to motivate them to put in the time to study and learn.
By using digital tools to "cut out" small slices of the music at a time and to apply bright colors and highlights, i'm hoping that the "focus" on small, bite-sized pieces of material will help folks see how easy it is to play pretty much anything once it's broken down small enough.
Finally, the "fun" is really a mixture of all of the above, combined with the joy of seeing that you can actually make progress on just about anything if you take it a step at a time, no matter how large the mountain may seem in the beginning! Hopefully these lessons will continue to be fun for everyone interested in learning "Clair de lune" - I'm certainly having a ton of fun putting these together!

I almost forgot about one more element that will make a HUGE difference - feedback. Please let me know if I'm going too fast, or if I need to better explain certain aspects more clearly. "DarkAngel"'s left hand question was an excellent one that motivated me to explore putting these lessons together, so please don't be intimidated to ask! I may not be able to get to every single question, but i'll do my best to integrate them into the lesson videos as time allows.

Remember - have fun!

OP Offline
Lesson #4 - The Second Measure

In this lesson, we define what a "measure" actually is in music, talk briefly about the function of other lines that affect the musical "smoothness" (slurs), and discover a new symbol - the "natural" that temporarily takes away any special rules applied to a note from the key signature or any other previous lowering or rising symble (like flats and sharps).

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Great story and lesson!

OP Offline
Thanks, Carl Mc! It's amazing how similar the study of music is to learning languages (wish i was better at languages, though :P

OP Offline
Lesson #5 - Measure 3

In this lesson, we look at "reminder" accidentals, some really cool fingering secrets, and tips on playing 2 voices in one hand.

OP Offline
Lesson #6 - Measure 4

If you've been following these lesson videos, you've seen how I use digital scores and a "snipping" tool to cut out small portions of the music for easier focus. In this lesson, I show a neat application of the snipping tool to make it easier to combine the end of one line with the beginning of the next. We also explore the use of the right damper pedal to connect moving hand positions, keeping the sound smooth and unbroken even when the hands need to jump.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm also in.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hugh,
Thanks for the reply and the personal story to illustrate it.

The lessons look good so far, but I'm a little confused by the timing in measure 3. It looks like the 4 eighth notes covering the last 6 beats of the measure comprise 2 sets of 2 notes that span 3 beats each, but since the middle note (F) is tied, you actually have 3 notes (Db F Db) spanning 6 beats, where the first Db gets 1.5 beats, the F gets 3 beats, and the last Db gets 1.5 beats (plus another beat in measure 4). Is that correct? Any suggestions for counting and playing that smoothly?

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission