Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1294108 - 10/26/09 01:40 PM Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer
Cherub Rocker Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
More info on Tozer's passing. Very sad stuff.

Tozer Passing

Edited by cherub_rocker1979 (10/26/09 06:17 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1294248 - 10/26/09 05:13 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Cherub Rocker]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cherub_rocker1979
More info on Tozer's passing. Very sad stuff.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26235997-16947,00.html

Or you can use this clickable link to get there.

#1294292 - 10/26/09 06:19 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: wr]
Cherub Rocker Offline

Thanks, I didn't realize that the link was not clickable. I'm not used to posting links on this forum.

#1294324 - 10/26/09 07:05 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Cherub Rocker]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
What a sad story. I've owned and loved his complete Medtner recordings for years but knew little of his personal life. It seems almost unthinkable that an artist of his talent could waste away.

Thanks for posting the link.

#1294330 - 10/26/09 07:14 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Cherub Rocker]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cherub_rocker1979
Thanks, I didn't realize that the link was not clickable. I'm not used to posting links on this forum.

At any rate, thanks for pointing out the article. It is very sad and almost incomprehensible that his life took the course it did.

#1294332 - 10/26/09 07:15 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: BB Player]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I have a number of his cd's. I had no idea... Very sad.

#1294382 - 10/26/09 08:48 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Peyton]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Heartbreaking. I wish his story was uncommon among those musical geniuses who are fabulously gifted, but...

I see about ten of his CDs listed on Barnes. I wish someone would share: if you could pick out one or two, which would they be?

Edited by Jeff Clef (10/26/09 08:51 PM)

#1294385 - 10/26/09 08:52 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Jeff Clef]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It takes more than talent to make a career. I tell the school I tune for that their students need some business background. However, some people do not have the personality for a performing career.

#1294391 - 10/26/09 09:02 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Peyton]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: piano bench, usually
Thank you for posting this. His passing is sad, the circumstances of his final years shocking and disturbing.

#1294424 - 10/26/09 09:42 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: heidiv]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Does Australia not have a Department of "culture" or an Endowment for the Arts, or any government official that can appreciate the "value" of supporting a citizen with a talent of Tozer's caliber?
No offense to Austalian citizens who might read this. But perhaps enough noise could be made and at least a scholarship that supports "starving artists" could be established in Tozer's name.

#1294441 - 10/26/09 10:02 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Andromaque]
PartyPianist Offline

Never heard of or heard him & I live in Sydney. Will check out his recordings. Sadly I struggle to believe anything churned out by a Murdoch rag and wonder whether this talent may have been inflated through connection with "important people".

Fortunately I play all 19 of Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies. Though The Australian failed to comprehend anyone might perform any other than the 2nd [by the description "Liszt's hungarian rhapsody"], if the performance did run for 15 minutes, he either played it very slowly or produced an extreme cadenza - something on the lines of Rachmaninov's famous piano roll performance.

Ah I remember now...I do have Tozer playing something Medtner, maybe one of his sonatas. I shall relisten to it again when I get in by way of homage.

Bach WTC book 2 no 15 G major, no 20 A minor, no 22 Bb Minor
Mozart A minor Sonata K310
Mendelssohn Op 35 preludes and fuges
Busoni Carmen Fantasy
Rachmaninov Bb prelude OP 23 no 2
Lyapunov Humoreske Op 34
and others

#1294445 - 10/26/09 10:08 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: PartyPianist]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PartyPianist
[...]

Fortunately I play all 19 of Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies. [...]

Bragging or complaining? smile

#1294518 - 10/27/09 12:32 AM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: PartyPianist]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.

Ah I remember now...I do have Tozer playing something Medtner, maybe one of his sonatas.

Tozer recorded (possibly) definitive recordings of the Medtner concertos. Perhaps those are the recordings you have? I still remain to be convinced that the almost unnecessarily cruel demands Medtner makes on the pianist are fully justified by the musical considerations -some of the technical difficulties seem to exist for their own sake- but I admit I have a long way to go in fully understanding and appreciating Medtner. He's a hard nut to crack.

And BTW, many, many thanks to cherub_rocker1979 for alerting us to the article about Tozer. Much information there -a few issues I suspected- but all in all a very sad read.

Very sad.

#1294534 - 10/27/09 01:20 AM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Andromaque]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i never heard his name before, but just checked youtube, and found some of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Geoffrey+Tozer&search_type=&aq=f

he's very good.

#1294763 - 10/27/09 12:18 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: signa]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"Does Australia not have a Department of "culture" or an Endowment for the Arts, or any government official that can appreciate the "value" of supporting a citizen with a talent of Tozer's caliber? No offense to Austalian citizens who might read this. But perhaps enough noise could be made and at least a scholarship that supports "starving artists" could be established in Tozer's name."

The problem is bigger than that--- or of a different nature, to say it more truly. I've just finished bios of Mozart, Beethoven, and Nyiregyhazi (Kevin Bazzana's Lost Genius). Mozart's impairment is notorious; Beethoven managed better but was unable to add a column of numbers, and lived in astonishing squalor as to his quarters, dress and person; Nyiregyhazi was addicted to alcohol, sex, and had a deathly fear of performing in public or being recorded; he was unable to button his own clothes or cut up his own porkchop. And Tozer. I don't know how reliable the article is, but the pattern is starting to sound familiar.

Hollywood has its own roster of actors who were so impaired in their ability to function as human beings that I don't know that any amount of money would have been able to save them, once the spotlight moved on. The contemporary music industry has similar stories. Literary circles, same tale. Not everyone is a crash-and-burn case: others encounter big problems yet manage to save themselves.

Can we pass a law that people have to be able to function as human beings? That forbids bloodsuckers and hangers-on? That forces talented persons with addictions and crippling psychological issues to get well?

I'm not suggesting that nothing should be done, I'm just not so sure what it might be.

Edited by Jeff Clef (10/27/09 12:24 PM)

#1294766 - 10/27/09 12:22 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Jeff Clef]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Of course, people who pirate recordings and sheet music contribute to the problem.

#1294776 - 10/27/09 12:31 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: BDB]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
It's possible (even probable?) that Tozer would have had the same problems no matter what he did as a musician. Depression and addictive tendencies are to some extent hard-wired.

I can understand his friends' frustration, but blaming the Australian government for his death seems like a stretch.

Check out my blog !

#1294984 - 10/27/09 05:40 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Piano Again]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Yes of course personality issues and even real psychiatric disorders often contribute to one's fate. But if you add poverty to the mix, especially if teh subject is a "sensitive" artist incapable of eeking a living other thatn his music and you haev a recipe for worse disaster. Governments are not supposed to fix everything for citizens, but they are supposed to use tax money wisely. Supporting artists should be fairly high on the priority list of civilised and developed countries. All the guy needed was a housekeeper and some sponsored concerts, or even some PR support by some high-ranking official, or someone to sensitize a musicians union group..

#1295153 - 10/27/09 10:44 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: argerichfan]
PartyPianist Offline

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Ah I remember now...I do have Tozer playing something Medtner, maybe one of his sonatas.

Tozer recorded (possibly) definitive recordings of the Medtner concertos. Perhaps those are the recordings you have? I still remain to be convinced that the almost unnecessarily cruel demands Medtner makes on the pianist are fully justified by the musical considerations -some of the technical difficulties seem to exist for their own sake- but I admit I have a long way to go in fully understanding and appreciating Medtner. He's a hard nut to crack.

And BTW, many, many thanks to cherub_rocker1979 for alerting us to the article about Tozer. Much information there -a few issues I suspected- but all in all a very sad read.

Very sad.

Grigory Ginsberg playing a number of Medtner's piano works, not Tozer. I did find a few Busoni recordings which I will check out after I D/L them. I have d/l the score for his Sonata Romantica which looks interesting. I shall keep you posted on progress.

Horowitzian - regards my confession as to playing all Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies, that wouldn't be a boast until I'm heard lol. Currently you can imagine I am as good or bad as you like.

Bach WTC book 2 no 15 G major, no 20 A minor, no 22 Bb Minor
Mozart A minor Sonata K310
Mendelssohn Op 35 preludes and fuges
Busoni Carmen Fantasy
Rachmaninov Bb prelude OP 23 no 2
Lyapunov Humoreske Op 34
and others

#1790951 - 11/17/11 10:30 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Jeff Clef]
P. Wyllie Johnston Offline

Loc: melbourne, australia
you should get:

ALL ON CHANDOS ---

1.COMPLETE CONCERTOS OF MEDTNER (London Phiharmonic)
2.LISZT CONCERTOS - Tozer with the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

also his LISZT TRANSCRIPTIONS is a wonderful recording and, for a complete constrast his recording of ROBERTO GERHARD PIANO CONCERTO (1997). This is a great example of Tozer performing the contemporary repertoire with great brilliance. It won the GRAMOPHONE Recording of the Year in 1998.

TOZER's live recording of the SCHUMANN PIANO CONCERTO (1995) is stupendous - one of the greatest performances ever. It will be releeased in 2012, along with some of his other great live performances.

#1790953 - 11/17/11 10:36 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: PartyPianist]
P. Wyllie Johnston Offline

Loc: melbourne, australia
In 2012 you'll be able to listen to Tozer aged 15 playing a Mozart concerto live from the Royal Albert Hall, (1969) his international debut and one of the 24 Mozart conertos he played during his 46 year career. The Mozart performance is just one of more than 750 recordings of his performances from all periods of his career from all over the world. Just one aspect of his enormous and, as yet, not fully understood life devoted to music.

#1790972 - 11/17/11 11:25 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Cherub Rocker]
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
19 CDs of Percy Grainger's music?! I didn't know there was that much.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=21881&name_role1=2&bcorder=2

#1790973 - 11/17/11 11:29 PM Re: Life and Death of Geoffrey Tozer [Re: Cherub Rocker]
Cherub Rocker Offline

Thanks for the info, Wyllie. It's good to know that the world will be able to hear more of Mr. Tozer's work.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
89 registered (36251, ando, Alux, anotherscott, 29 invisible), 1177 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153600 Topics
2251200 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
3 minutes 7 seconds ago
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission