Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1294866 - 10/27/09 02:37 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: joyjane1028]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hugh is the one who should get credit for any inspirations around here. Its not just the content of the lessons. His entire manner conveys confidence in his students ability to master the material. I don't think this is accidental. If it is, he has been blessed with a natural teaching ability.

Estonia L190 #7284

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1294894 - 10/27/09 03:15 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: JimF]
joyjane1028 Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Hugh is the one who should get credit for any inspirations around here. Its not just the content of the lessons. His entire manner conveys confidence in his students ability to master the material. I don't think this is accidental. If it is, he has been blessed with a natural teaching ability.

Beautifully said. Totally agree.

Thank you for your teaching, Hugh.
thumb

#1295256 - 10/28/09 06:53 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: joyjane1028]
knightplayer Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hugh
It seems like the worst (most difficult) part is over. grin Presuming I practice to perfection, what level would this be considered?
I missed the Webinar, but saw the first half on your site. Thanks so much for the tips on posture and not sitting on the edge of the seat.
(guilty as charged eek)
Julius

#1295394 - 10/28/09 11:58 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: knightplayer]
Bee Dee Offline

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
My understanding is that Claire de Lune is considered an upper-intermediate level piece. Not that that is a bad thing... not all classical piano pieces are virtuoso level (for example, see Debussy's L'Isle Joyeuse), nor need they be. But I would suggest that the difference between a good player and a great player is how each approaches and interprets an individual piece without regard to it's complexity...

Edited by Bee Dee (10/28/09 11:59 AM)

#1295502 - 10/28/09 02:55 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Bee Dee]
Hugh Sung Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
"Clair de lune" piano lessons with Hugh Sung at Ashbury Music Hall

For those of you who would like to pursue a personalized and in-depth study of "Clair de lune", I'd like to invite you to sign up for a special 12- week course at my new virtual classroom at Ashbury Music Hall. Ashbury Music Hall is a new online music school that provides some terrific, easy-to- use tools for recording audio and video right on their site, making it a breeze to share homework assignments and post questions as text, audio, or video clips. I'll be able to respond in kind and help you make real progress learning "Clair de lune".

Please let me know if you have any questions about this new online classroom format. Hope to see you at the next lesson! laugh

#1297010 - 10/31/09 01:41 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
BOO!

#1297468 - 10/31/09 10:09 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Hugh Sung Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: CMohr
BOO!

"Boo" for Halloween, or for offering personalized lessons online?

#1297505 - 11/01/09 12:49 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Hugh Sung]
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Hugh Sung
Originally Posted By: CMohr
BOO!

"Boo" for Halloween, or for offering personalized lessons online?

I think it was an accidental clicking of the submit button before post was completed, which should have read *

BOOKS, even those especially catering to the adult beginner pianist, don't come close to the EXCITING, engaging and REVOLUTIONARY approach of the People's Pedagogue Hugh SUNG grin

*for more information see thread entitled '1'

Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

#1297530 - 11/01/09 01:34 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Canonie]
CMohr Offline

Yes, Boo! for halloween or Boo! for Bump. laugh

You're right, I didn't even think it would be taken as a Bah, Boo. Oops!

CMOHR

#1298976 - 11/03/09 03:12 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Coastal Mississippi
Hello? Anybody here? I've had a couple of weeks of work hell and find eveyone has gone? Are we now on another site? Last lesson I saw was from over a week ago.

#1298981 - 11/03/09 03:29 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Woody-Woodruff]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Woody, I'm here. I've not been following the lessons, but I've been working hard on Clair de Lune. Only in the last day have I thought it might actually be possible to play it. It is utterly beautiful. 3hearts

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1298997 - 11/03/09 03:56 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: ten left thumbs]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello tlt,
I'm glad your making progress with CdL. With less than 15 minutes of practice a day due to my work schedule lately, I'm still only up to measure #25. Yes, the measure before the hard stuff starts. Hugh's lessons seem to have stopped at Lesson 56 or so over a week or two ago. While it will take me a couple of months to catch up I would be interested to know if we will continue past lesson 56.

#1298998 - 11/03/09 03:58 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: ten left thumbs]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Woody and Tlt, I'm here too. Have the first 15 measures down now although 13, 14, 15 need to be a lot smoother. It is starting to sound like real music, which is very exciting.

It looks like Hugh has found a way to monetize his efforts, and he certainly deserves it. I would follow him to the private/interactive site but am not presently set up for it with the right electronics. Expect I may be in the near future and will consider it at that time. Until then there's still plenty of bars/lessons to go through just to get up to the last one posted.

It is captivating. I have two versions on my ipod that are getting a lot of airtime. smile

Estonia L190 #7284

#1299004 - 11/03/09 04:08 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Woody-Woodruff]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
I have been busy trying to get my fall ABF recital done, which I just submitted this past weekend. I am now working on measures 15-24. Have the left hand pretty good but not quite ready to mix in the right hand- except for the intro chord.

I think we will have to sign up for the 12 week course if we want to finish with Hugh. Which I don't mind, after all he gave us over 50 freebies. I am just not sure whether to continue with these as posted or go ahead and sign up. I guess I will go check it out.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1299017 - 11/03/09 04:27 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Strings & Wood]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

All,
Yes, I checked out Ashbury Music Hall and it looks like that's the only way we'll be able to finish. I didn't see any start date but it is a 12-week course for a very reasonable amount of money. I certainly wish Hugh the best and I am very grateful for the time he spent with us here.

For me, I think I'll wait until I get up to lesson 56 before going over. While I have the ability to record with my H2, given the time I can spend on the piano limits me to as much practice as can get in and not set up and recording down-load time for the H2. It's just a matter of priorities.

Woody

#1299074 - 11/03/09 06:23 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Woody-Woodruff]
senam Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Well, it'd be nice if Hugh could give us a sign here to know what's going on. I assumed the long delay since the last lesson was because of the time it took to setup the webinar and then his new course at Ashbury. But I never thought he would leave us high and dry in the middle of the piece like that. I mean, I have only praise for all the efforts he's put into these lessons, but as a principle when you start something you should always finish it. I know I'm eager to finish this piece now that we're in the middle of it and it is going so well. I still think he's just taking some time off to do some work for Ashbury and Curtis, as he should, but that we'll see lesson 57 here soon...

#1299161 - 11/03/09 09:28 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: senam]
knightplayer Offline

Nice to know everyone didn't fall off the face of the earth! grin
Its seems like there is a wide range for how far everyone has gotten so far. For myself, I'm current, but need a lot of practice to get the last page smooth. It seems like there has been enough information in the previous lessons to be able to keep going to the finish, even if the lessons end.
I just need the ability to record, so that I can find out if what I hear while I play it, is what I will hear when I play it back. wink
Oh well, Xmas is coming.
Julius

#1299209 - 11/03/09 11:40 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: knightplayer]
CMohr Offline

I'm happy that most of us seem to still be here and waiting on the next lesson also. I guess I just thought that Hugh was really busy after the webinar and everything - I didn't take his last post as meaning the lessons here on the ABF were going to end - but maybe I misread? I for one hope they haven't stopped.
At least a bunch of us are still hanging in there!
I have the first part of Clair de lune to tempo, but getting meas. 27 to where we stopped is still slow going - it's getting better though.

CMOHR

#1299288 - 11/04/09 07:18 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

senam,
I hope I have it wrong and you're right about Lesson #57 being posted in the near future. I also glad to see I'm not the only one hanging around waiting. CMohr, I too, thought I had missed something in Hugh's posts.

Hopefully Hugh will have a chance to read all the recent posts and at least comment on what's going on with the thread, when the Ashbury site is active, etc.
Woody

#1299328 - 11/04/09 09:28 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: joyjane1028]
theatrium Offline

I´ve got a random question regarding beginners and this piece:

How long should it take the average beginner (1 to 2 years learning piano) to complete this piece from scratch, with proper interpretation and all?

#1299384 - 11/04/09 11:18 AM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: theatrium]
knightplayer Offline

I've been wondering the same thing, but I think the difficult thing to establish is, is the end point "flawless" meaning no mistakes? or a few, but not blaring mistakes (meaning most people wouldn't even notice them as mistakes) And is it the first time you achieve that or when you have consistancy?
Is that being too technical? crazy
Julius

#1299420 - 11/04/09 12:31 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: knightplayer]
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

theatrium & knightplayer,
I'll take a stab at an answer. It is solely depnedant on what you want to get out of playing the piano. Want perfection? It could take years, literally. If you just want to get through it without any or many mistakes it will take a lot less time. I've been back to piano for 2 1/2 years now with 5 or 6 years as a kid on the piano and organ and depending on my work schedule can practice up to 3 hours per day. Most days it's less than 1/2 that now. I memorized the Chopin B-minor Waltz (much easier than CdL) in about 4 - 5 months. Right now, about a year later my playing of it is acceptable to my ear. Ah, but to play it like it should be played, and I've heard it played, will take the rest of my life to perfect. So it all boils down to - How well do YOU want to play it? I hope this helps.
Woody

#1299475 - 11/04/09 02:17 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Woody-Woodruff]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
I'm still plodding away too, hit a bit of a wall trying to get bars 10-12 smooth. Slowly getting there though!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1299553 - 11/04/09 04:55 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: BazC]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi HughSung,

This is my first post here, and I've only watched videos 1 and 2 thus far, but I have to say I love the way you describe everything and also review over and over, from the overview to things like the direction of the sound.

I'm very excited to try out your method to learning this song - I just wanted to stop by and say that because when a teacher calls something "magical" in music, I'm pretty much obligated to leave a compliment!

-II

PS: Sorry for the edit, but I was also wondering: is this the full version of the song in the original?

Thanks smile

Edited by ll (11/04/09 04:57 PM)
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1299966 - 11/05/09 12:41 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: ll]
knightplayer Offline

II
If you see keyboardklutz's post at the bottom of page one, you will hear it played slightly differently. If you double click the picture it will take you to youtube where you can find more people playing it the same way (same length) (check out pennehk) I think its full length.
If you get past page 3 & 4, page 5 is easier and page 6 is a snap thumb
The tunnel may seem long, but there is definately a light at the end.
Julius

#1300074 - 11/05/09 03:53 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: knightplayer]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Julies!

I just wanted to make sure, as I am a stickler and purchase Urtext only (conditioning from years as a percussionist... I am a supremest when it comes to sheet music, ha!). Simply wanted to make sure that the sheet music I follow along with is correct.

Finished lesson five, still going strong thumb

#1300157 - 11/05/09 07:35 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: ll]
Bee Dee Offline

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Oh, that isn't a problem... all of the versions of the music I've seen were correct as far as the notes go... Urtext versions don't show fingering and pedaling suggestions (Debussy didn't supply them, figuring that players would find their own solutions). The best versions I've seen are from Alfred, and the fingering and pedaling suggestions (which pretty much follow Hugh's suggestions) are printed in light grey. But there are other versions out there as well, which would work equally well for teaching purposes. As I suggested earlier, it isn't that expensive to buy several copies, mark one up as you work your way through, and keep another for playing from once you get the whole piece in your fingers.

#1300172 - 11/05/09 08:10 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: Bee Dee]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In the same fashion, buy the urtext and copy the sheet music (since it's for personal use, that would still be legal, right?)?

#1300184 - 11/05/09 08:32 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: ll]
CMohr Offline

I have the Alfred edition that I don't mark up so much.

I downloaded from IMSLP another copy that I can do with what I want so it doesn't detract from my "good" copy.

I do go back and forth, but it is really nice to play the sections that I don't need all the extra memos for using a clean copy.

I like the Alfred's also for the fingering suggestions (which are very very close to Hugh's, except for some of his unusual suggestions). Alfred's pedaling marks also follow Hugh's suggestions.

So I'm pretty happy with my set-up anyway.

Good luck! smile

Cheers!
CMOHR

#1302257 - 11/09/09 05:07 PM Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons [Re: CMohr]
knightplayer Offline

Where'd everybody go? Is anybody still working on this? (I am) grin Pages 3 & 4 might take a few months.crazy
Is anyone having Clare de lune withdrawl? The last post was last Thursday, but it seems like weeks ago.
Julius

Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alkanaut, 41 invisible), 1714 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153524 Topics
2249803 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
11 minutes 46 seconds ago
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
Today at 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission