Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1292962 - 10/24/09 02:37 PM What does "espressivo" mean?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
In particular, what does it mean you should do? It's non-specific; it doesn't indicate tempo, dynamics or articulation.

What kind of expression, expressiveness or feeling, then? What should be conveyed or projected, and how? Is it just a cue that the performer should feel something distinct from elsewhere in the music, and respond accordingly in any way that's natural?

Obviously there are other indistinct and non-musical directions, too, like the relatively common dolce. There are surely many more, though most composers didn't employ them with the extravagance of Scriabin or the archness of Satie.

Or maybe I'm on the wrong track, and espress. means to go get an espresso ... and dolce means to have a pastry. grin

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1292966 - 10/24/09 02:41 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
Synapse Offline

Loc: Vermont
whenever I see espressivo in the score, I always think broader and sometimes more dramatic (depending on the piece.) So I guess I tend to slow down a bit and play with extra rubato when I see it.

on that note, it does seem like a redundant marking. Usually where ever I see espressivo I would probably already be playing that section more expressively anyway; it usually shows itself in the music.

Edited by Synapse (10/24/09 02:43 PM)

#1292979 - 10/24/09 03:45 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Synapse]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I've wondered about this too, Steven. smile Kind of mid-boggling, really. crazy

#1292985 - 10/24/09 04:01 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Horowitzian]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
It means you should sip some steamed coffee before you play.

#1292988 - 10/24/09 04:04 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
Chopin4life Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: sotto voce
It's non-specific; it doesn't indicate tempo, dynamics or articulation.

I think it's basically saying you can interpret it any way you want. Personally, I tend to put a little more rubato in and slow down a little as has been said. Also, I think over exagerated movements help too...

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

#1292992 - 10/24/09 04:09 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Chopin4life]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It means "Turn off the metronome, and turn on your ears."

#1293125 - 10/24/09 08:50 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: BDB]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Perhaps the composer wrote that in there because it's possible to play that section a bit too strictly, and so almost as a warning that they want it with rubato.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1293238 - 10/25/09 03:17 AM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Morodiene]
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
It means "play with expression".

#1293239 - 10/25/09 03:24 AM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Studio Joe]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
From a composers point of view: It's so pretty to have it in score in Italics that we use it regularly! laugh LOL!

For me, it actually means that the music takes a more 'strict' form, and allows a more liberated idea of the performance. It's a restricted form of 'freedom' as opposed to a dead 'ad lib' and other more contemporary notation techniques.

It's juts a way to remind the performer "Add a tiny bit of yourself in there", I think...

#1293394 - 10/25/09 01:21 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Studio Joe]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Studio Joe
It means "play with expression".

Yes, that goes without saying. But, as Steven asked in his opening post, what differently should the player do when the composer writes 'espressivo', since most of us attempt to play - or think we are playing - with expression, anyway. Or, in other words - and as others have attempted to address - what does "play with expression" mean and why does a composer insert that direction at a certain point in a piece?

Regards,

#1294063 - 10/26/09 12:57 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: BruceD]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I conclude that indications given in the score that are not specific directions to do something are purely descriptive of something the composer wished to call attention to and to characterize; to the extent that it would already be noticed or would be assumed anyway, the terms are redundant.

A case in point regarding dolce is James Huneker's description of the main theme of Chopin's Fantaisie Op. 49 (the one presented successively in A-flat, G-flat and D-flat at various stages of the piece):

Quote:
... that heroic love chant, erroneously marked dolce and played with the effeminacies of a salon. Three times does it resound in this strange Hall of Glancing Mirrors, yet not once should it be caressed. The bronze fingers of a Tausig are needed.

Actually, it's Huneker's claim that's erroneous: the episode and its repetitions are not marked dolce in any edition I'm aware of, including the first published ones. And yet, in his defense, it is exactly the sort of melody one would expect to be marked dolce even though it's not.

So what was Huneker thinking? How, exactly, would this section be played differently depending on (1) whether it were marked dolce or not, and (2) if it were played with "the effeminacies of a salon" as compared to the "bronze fingers of a Tausig"?

Similarly, if one really defines espressivo as turning off the metronome and turning on the ears, that's surely a direction that applies to the entire piece. I don't think espressivo is a direction so much as a depiction: the composer calls attention to the spot so designated to signal that the music expresses something out of the ordinary, but one needn't do anything other than incorporate one's natural response to the music.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1294094 - 10/26/09 01:23 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
One should apply the expression to speaking to get an idea of what it means in music. Most people know the difference between expressive speaking and unexpressive speaking. One adds inflections in meter, tone, and volume to make speaking more expressive. While you cannot change the tone without changing the piece, even though that may be a good idea, you can make inflections in the meter and volume. These inflections may be too slight to notate accurately, but the sense should come from the way we use our voices.

#1294139 - 10/26/09 02:25 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: BDB]
Morodiene Offline

One can certainly play more or less expressively.

#1294160 - 10/26/09 02:52 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Morodiene]
kevinb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Indeed -- but does that mean that the direction espressivo should be taken that the rest of the piece should be played without expression? And, if not, does it mean `_more_ expression here than usual'? The problem is that I find it hard to conceive of a scale of expressiveness that I could actually articulate at the keyboard.

#1294203 - 10/26/09 04:10 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: kevinb]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: kevinb

Indeed -- but does that mean that the direction espressivo should be taken that the rest of the piece should be played without expression? And, if not, does it mean `_more_ expression here than usual'? The problem is that I find it hard to conceive of a scale of expressiveness that I could actually articulate at the keyboard.

As I said, I think of it as an indicator that one might tend to play that section too "legit" if you will, and so it is a cautionary indication.

#1294239 - 10/26/09 04:57 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
Carldee Offline

[quote=sotto voce]In particular, what does it mean you should do?

"espressivo" means "with espresso", you should be playing having a strong cup of coffee called "espresso".

Now if you want to play "expressivo" then you have to play having a particular meaning, feeling or force, in other words play the way you feel at that moment.
For example if you feel angry play "angressivo", if you feel in love, play "lovessivo", if you feel low, play "depressivo", and if you feel suicidal play "bangessivo"............

By the way if you are a pianist, do you think the best way to commit suicide is to let a piano fall on you?, or listen for a week to some of the members in this piano forum???????????........I rather have a piano fall on me................

#1294241 - 10/26/09 05:00 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Morodiene]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
With feeling, not mechanical as a computer would play, slightly rubato... Make the music your interpretation...
That's how I see it at least.

Music is my best friend.

#1294244 - 10/26/09 05:05 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It is a stage direction, not a musical one, and it means you should have a Lang Lang moment at that spot.

Joking aside, I think it simply means you should make sure to bring out the expressive nature of the music at that spot, and possibly in contrast to the music surrounding it, if it makes sense in the context, e.g., a lyric outburst in the middle of more abstract music. If it seems redundant in a certain piece because it is so obvious, perhaps it is the composer's way of encouraging you not to hold back.

#1294399 - 10/26/09 09:19 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: wr]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think it's difficult to assign a particular meaning to "espressivo." It's a matter of interpretation, and as such, may change depending on context. (The context of many things, actually - the piece, the period, the composer, the performer's own thoughts, etc...)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1294413 - 10/26/09 09:32 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Kreisler]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I think it's difficult to assign a particular meaning to "espressivo." It's a matter of interpretation, and as such, may change depending on context. (The context of many things, actually - the piece, the period, the composer, the performer's own thoughts, etc...)

True. I was thinking if we knew what piece in particular Steven was inquiring about it would help us give some ideas as to what to do.

#1294422 - 10/26/09 09:42 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Kreisler]
PartyPianist Offline

It neither refers to tempo or dynamics....it is a musical term that alines "interpretation". Certainly composers who over use the direction tread a dangerous path.

Chopin is a good example of the banality of this "expression" mark. Everything written by Chopin would be played expressively as that is the way Chopin writes. However, in the places where "expressivo" is explicitly scored I would interpret it as dolce/agitato....or rather....more than a dolce and less than an agitato.

To fully appreciate human emotion you require something called "heart". It seems you may have a heart problem Sotto Voce. If a trip to your local doctor doesn't work, I would refer to some spiritual organisation. If that succeeds your appreciation of music can begin.

Bach WTC book 2 no 15 G major, no 20 A minor, no 22 Bb Minor
Mozart A minor Sonata K310
Mendelssohn Op 35 preludes and fuges
Busoni Carmen Fantasy
Rachmaninov Bb prelude OP 23 no 2
Lyapunov Humoreske Op 34
and others

#1294429 - 10/26/09 09:46 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: PartyPianist]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

smokin

#1294432 - 10/26/09 09:51 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Horowitzian]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I 3hearts Steven.

Cathy

#1294488 - 10/26/09 11:39 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: jotur]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
I 3hearts Steven.

Cathy

blush

¡E igualmente a ti, mi amor!

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

True. I was thinking if we knew what piece in particular Steven was inquiring about it would help us give some ideas as to what to do.

It was an instance in Schumann's Toccata (commencing at bar 106) that prompted this thread, though the whole issue of "directions" that aren't really directions (e.g., dolce) is much broader.

For what it's worth, though, the context of this use of espressivo is most unusual; Schumann's original instruction was: "In order to leave the performer as much latitude for the expression of the music as he feels it, markings are indicated only in those places where the performing technique makes heavy demands upon the player."

In practical terms, that means 283 bars of bare notes with instructions for dynamics, agogics and articulation in a mere handful of places—and this is one of them. smile

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1294560 - 10/27/09 04:01 AM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
Carldee Offline

Forget all these explanations about "espressivo" and see it in action, which is worth more than a million words, just watch Robertzhang`s video of his post below "A little girl playing piano".

She oozes "espressivo", sweetness and charm and plays so well!!, most of us in this forum will never reach that stage. Watching her we can also imagine the impression young Mozart would have made on his audiences.

I would love to see and hear the comments of the stiff upper lip members of the recognized music bodies when watching her. After all many of Mozart`s compositions were written when he was a child and so a child would interpret them as well as anybody.

#1294615 - 10/27/09 08:03 AM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Carldee]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Carldee
She oozes "espressivo", sweetness and charm and plays so well!!, most of us in this forum will never reach that stage.

Or perhaps passed through it decades ago. I never thought I'd be quoting the Bible here, but 1 Corinthians 11:13 comes to mind ("When I was a child I spake as a child ...").

I don't think that playing expressively in general, or with an overall espressivo affect, is the issue, though. My question only concerned the meaning of the word's presence at a specific place in a musical score (and a composer's reasons for choosing to put it there).

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1294683 - 10/27/09 10:25 AM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: PartyPianist]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: PartyPianist
To fully appreciate human emotion you require something called "heart". It seems you may have a heart problem Sotto Voce. If a trip to your local doctor doesn't work, I would refer to some spiritual organisation. If that succeeds your appreciation of music can begin.

I'm just a bit curious - - Are you even capable of entering a discussion without becoming personally abusive?
Just FYI - It doesn't endear or impress.

#1294770 - 10/27/09 12:24 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: sotto voce]
Carldee Offline

[
She oozes "espressivo", sweetness and charm and plays so well!!, most of us in this forum will never reach that stage.

Or perhaps passed through it decades ago. I never thought I'd be quoting the Bible here, but 1 Corinthians 11:13 comes to mind ("When I was a child I spake as a child ...").

I don't think that playing expressively in general, or with an overall espressivo affect, is the issue, though. My question only concerned the meaning of the word's presence at a specific place in a musical score (and a composer's reasons for choosing to put it there).

Steven

Sorry sotto voce, I didn`t know you were such good pianist, but.......do you look as sweet as that little girl????.......

#1294775 - 10/27/09 12:30 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: -Frycek]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Originally Posted By: PartyPianist

I'm just a bit curious - - Are you even capable of entering a discussion without becoming personally abusive?
Just FYI - It doesn't endear or impress.
+2112...

Such personal comments can only insult (although SV seems more than capable of ignoring them, they still bother the heck of me).

#1294802 - 10/27/09 01:11 PM Re: What does "espressivo" mean? [Re: Carldee]
Morodiene Offline

[

Steven

Sorry sotto voce, I didn`t know you were such good pianist, but.......do you look as sweet as that little girl????.......

Pardon me, but what does being a child *or* being cute have at all to do with playing "espressivo"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, ando, ajames, Art_Vandelay, 44 invisible), 1933 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156286 Topics
2295288 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
5 minutes 32 seconds ago
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
36 minutes 43 seconds ago
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
Today at 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission