2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 29 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 28 29
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hugh is the one who should get credit for any inspirations around here. Its not just the content of the lessons. His entire manner conveys confidence in his students ability to master the material. I don't think this is accidental. If it is, he has been blessed with a natural teaching ability.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by JimF
Hugh is the one who should get credit for any inspirations around here. Its not just the content of the lessons. His entire manner conveys confidence in his students ability to master the material. I don't think this is accidental. If it is, he has been blessed with a natural teaching ability.

Beautifully said. Totally agree.

Thank you for your teaching, Hugh.
thumb

Hugh
It seems like the worst (most difficult) part is over. grin Presuming I practice to perfection, what level would this be considered?
I missed the Webinar, but saw the first half on your site. Thanks so much for the tips on posture and not sitting on the edge of the seat.
(guilty as charged eek)
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
My understanding is that Claire de Lune is considered an upper-intermediate level piece. Not that that is a bad thing... not all classical piano pieces are virtuoso level (for example, see Debussy's L'Isle Joyeuse), nor need they be. But I would suggest that the difference between a good player and a great player is how each approaches and interprets an individual piece without regard to it's complexity...

Last edited by Bee Dee; 10/28/09 11:59 AM.

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ
OP Offline
"Clair de lune" piano lessons with Hugh Sung at Ashbury Music Hall

For those of you who would like to pursue a personalized and in-depth study of "Clair de lune", I'd like to invite you to sign up for a special 12- week course at my new virtual classroom at Ashbury Music Hall. Ashbury Music Hall is a new online music school that provides some terrific, easy-to- use tools for recording audio and video right on their site, making it a breeze to share homework assignments and post questions as text, audio, or video clips. I'll be able to respond in kind and help you make real progress learning "Clair de lune".

Please let me know if you have any questions about this new online classroom format. Hope to see you at the next lesson! laugh

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
BOO!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by CMohr
BOO!

"Boo" for Halloween, or for offering personalized lessons online?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung
Originally Posted by CMohr
BOO!

"Boo" for Halloween, or for offering personalized lessons online?

I think it was an accidental clicking of the submit button before post was completed, which should have read *

BOOKS, even those especially catering to the adult beginner pianist, don't come close to the EXCITING, engaging and REVOLUTIONARY approach of the People's Pedagogue Hugh SUNG grin

*for more information see thread entitled '1'

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Boo! for halloween or Boo! for Bump. laugh

You're right, I didn't even think it would be taken as a Bah, Boo. Oops!

CMOHR

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello? Anybody here? I've had a couple of weeks of work heck and find eveyone has gone? Are we now on another site? Last lesson I saw was from over a week ago.

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Woody, I'm here. I've not been following the lessons, but I've been working hard on Clair de Lune. Only in the last day have I thought it might actually be possible to play it. It is utterly beautiful. 3hearts

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello tlt,
I'm glad your making progress with CdL. With less than 15 minutes of practice a day due to my work schedule lately, I'm still only up to measure #25. Yes, the measure before the hard stuff starts. Hugh's lessons seem to have stopped at Lesson 56 or so over a week or two ago. While it will take me a couple of months to catch up I would be interested to know if we will continue past lesson 56.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Woody and Tlt, I'm here too. Have the first 15 measures down now although 13, 14, 15 need to be a lot smoother. It is starting to sound like real music, which is very exciting.

It looks like Hugh has found a way to monetize his efforts, and he certainly deserves it. I would follow him to the private/interactive site but am not presently set up for it with the right electronics. Expect I may be in the near future and will consider it at that time. Until then there's still plenty of bars/lessons to go through just to get up to the last one posted.

It is captivating. I have two versions on my ipod that are getting a lot of airtime. smile

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have been busy trying to get my fall ABF recital done, which I just submitted this past weekend. I am now working on measures 15-24. Have the left hand pretty good but not quite ready to mix in the right hand- except for the intro chord.

I think we will have to sign up for the 12 week course if we want to finish with Hugh. Which I don't mind, after all he gave us over 50 freebies. I am just not sure whether to continue with these as posted or go ahead and sign up. I guess I will go check it out.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All,
Yes, I checked out Ashbury Music Hall and it looks like that's the only way we'll be able to finish. I didn't see any start date but it is a 12-week course for a very reasonable amount of money. I certainly wish Hugh the best and I am very grateful for the time he spent with us here.

For me, I think I'll wait until I get up to lesson 56 before going over. While I have the ability to record with my H2, given the time I can spend on the piano limits me to as much practice as can get in and not set up and recording down-load time for the H2. It's just a matter of priorities.

Woody

[Linked Image]
S
S
Well, it'd be nice if Hugh could give us a sign here to know what's going on. I assumed the long delay since the last lesson was because of the time it took to setup the webinar and then his new course at Ashbury. But I never thought he would leave us high and dry in the middle of the piece like that. I mean, I have only praise for all the efforts he's put into these lessons, but as a principle when you start something you should always finish it. I know I'm eager to finish this piece now that we're in the middle of it and it is going so well. I still think he's just taking some time off to do some work for Ashbury and Curtis, as he should, but that we'll see lesson 57 here soon...

Nice to know everyone didn't fall off the face of the earth! grin
Its seems like there is a wide range for how far everyone has gotten so far. For myself, I'm current, but need a lot of practice to get the last page smooth. It seems like there has been enough information in the previous lessons to be able to keep going to the finish, even if the lessons end.
I just need the ability to record, so that I can find out if what I hear while I play it, is what I will hear when I play it back. wink
Oh well, Xmas is coming.
Julius

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I'm happy that most of us seem to still be here and waiting on the next lesson also. I guess I just thought that Hugh was really busy after the webinar and everything - I didn't take his last post as meaning the lessons here on the ABF were going to end - but maybe I misread? I for one hope they haven't stopped.
At least a bunch of us are still hanging in there!
I have the first part of Clair de lune to tempo, but getting meas. 27 to where we stopped is still slow going - it's getting better though.

CMOHR

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
senam,
I hope I have it wrong and you're right about Lesson #57 being posted in the near future. I also glad to see I'm not the only one hanging around waiting. CMohr, I too, thought I had missed something in Hugh's posts.

Hopefully Hugh will have a chance to read all the recent posts and at least comment on what's going on with the thread, when the Ashbury site is active, etc.
Woody

[Linked Image]
T
T
I´ve got a random question regarding beginners and this piece:

How long should it take the average beginner (1 to 2 years learning piano) to complete this piece from scratch, with proper interpretation and all?

Page 22 of 29 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission