2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 121 of 187 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I had such an incredible practice today. I had just been working on technical things the last few weeks related to speed. Today, I started playing ATTYA starting at 220bpm. Surprisingly I wasn't even breaking a sweat and was very relaxed. So I upped it to 240bpm. Still ok. I kept doing this until I was playing ATTYA full on with eighth notes at 280bpm which is the maximum on my metronome. I couldn't believe it! yippie

Dave, you would be proud, you're my influence in this area. thumb

I was very relaxed doing it and no tension at all. In fact I was doing it for over an hour and I didn't feel any strain.

I was also working on the LH soloing with the RH. LH is definitely feeling more in control so short melodic phrases are now coming out but I feel the LH is still rhythmically strained.

So someday, if anyone wants to learn how I went through this phase, just ask. I developed my own specific exercises based on spotted weaknesses. To play fast requires really full control of arm weight and finger velocity, and relaxation. So I had to recall a lot of my classical technique teacher taught me. What shocked me about what I achieved here was that I was able to go from my typical solo speed of 180bpm to probably 300bpm in a short time span. I don't think it's even been 3 months since I started this.

Of course I already had the basic skills since I could do scales at a pretty fast clip. Faster than I would ever have to solo. So it seems like scales is a necessity. I cheated though since I focused mostly on RH scales and 90% of the time I built my speed using the C and Db Scales. This means that speed transfers to everything that anyone does, not just what you're specifically practicing.

Though playing fast is not a requirement in jazz, what it does is allow the player to vary the texture more and whatever technical skills gained from playing fast seemed to also translate to better tone.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go jazzwee. You are definitely burnin up those keys.smokin That is such wonderful news. I am very excited for you.

Will you be shocking your teacher, or does he know that you have been working diligently on developing speed?

This thread is amazing. I know for a fact that we have lurkers on this thread. I keep having my boxnet links downloaded from here.

Your newer Reharmoniztion thread using Nursery Rhymes is also an amazing thread. Your PW presence deserves many thumb .

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
That's fantastic jazzwee! thumb

What it shows is the power of relaxation, and also the power of warming up properly. I bet you couldn't shred like that if you came to the keyboard cold.

I also agree with you about scales. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Barb and TLT.

On warming up, I never warm up. From the very beginning I trained myself to never need to warm up since as Jazz player, I figure I'd always be asked to play cold. So I never worry about. I've always done my technical practice at the end, not at the beginning to promote this. Just my way. Strange?

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Swingin' Barb
I know for a fact that we have lurkers on this thread. I keep having my boxnet links downloaded from here.

:waving icon inserted here:

Congratulations, jazzwee - it's a trip, isn't it, when speed finally comes. It's happened to me sometimes, too.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Cathy. And yes, even when the thread is not visible, there's continuous daily downloads so we have a bunch of lurkers out there. Hopefully they'll start asking questions.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Jazzwee, that sounds really exciting. You should record one of your sessions at some point.

take care.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The lurkers here are amazing. Someone has been downloading my first attempt at Autumn leave, my second attempt, the third.... attempts number 12, 13, 14, etc, the arpeggio exercise, etc, etc. I find it really amazing that anyone would find all of that interesting!

Also, I would also like to hear jazzwee again.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Don't worry. I will record soon. In fact, maybe I'll get in to the Recital and even the November forum. It's just extremely busy right now and TLT, thanks for the break last week smile

I don't know who these lurkers are. Maybe not even the regulars in ABF. But there's sure a ton of them possibly learning with us.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So playing fast consistently is the easy part, I found. I was playing a slow ballad at 70bpm. Much harder. In ballads you shift from quarters, to eighths (so quarters at 140), then to 16ths, which sounds like Eighths at 280bpm.

Now I can do 280bpm eighths fine because of all the practice. But it is hard to shift gears from quarters to eighths to triplet eighths to sixteenths in a ballad, particularly from quarters to 16ths. It is such a big jump and you have no time reference. Often I end up being off a beat. Frustrating!

I think what most people do is keep the sixteenths short, so you can always re-orient yourself to the time reference. I need a lot more practice with this...

My Jazz Blog

D
D
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I had such an incredible practice today. I had just been working on technical things the last few weeks related to speed. Today, I started playing ATTYA starting at 220bpm. Surprisingly I wasn't even breaking a sweat and was very relaxed. So I upped it to 240bpm. Still ok. I kept doing this until I was playing ATTYA full on with eighth notes at 280bpm which is the maximum on my metronome. I couldn't believe it! yippie

Dave, you would be proud, you're my influence in this area. thumb

hey jazzwee, that's great! i'll bet you be playing at 300 bpm and over in no time.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
hey Dave, I was playing at 300bpm (I stopped there). 280bpm was the limit of my metronome. Isn't that great? I tried to duplicate your finger movements and patterns and I couldn't do it. So when I solved it (slowly analyzing each move), it worked! Took a couple of months.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I've been studying Herbie Hancock and I came across this

Herbie Hancock - Autumn Leaves Part 1

Herbie Hancock - Autumn Leaves Part 2

Listen to the way he plays. Straight eighths with very distinct upbeat accents. Then sometimes he'll syncopate with downbeat accents for short periods for effect. You'll also hear him pull back (time wise) by lengthening the accented upbeat.

For me personally, I'm studying his syncopation style.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Chick's version. Neat stuff popping up on Youtube.

Chick Corea - Autumn Leaves/with Bobby McFerrin

It would be interesting to see Chick's reharmonization of AL. Sounded cool.

Again for a swing style comparison, Chick swings (later in the video) with an extremely straight style -- very even eighths.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's an ATTYA improv with a syncopated style ala Brad Mehldau. But my time is a bit off. I'm getting used to the LH/RH syncopation thing. So this is like practice stage here. Single take. It's pretty fast tempo wise. Maybe close to 240bpm.

http://www.box.net/shared/sctchthkch

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee,

That was awesome, very creative, great time. I really enjoyed that. That piano sounded good, too.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Jazzwee - I am speechless. Really -- you are amazing. You have entered a new dimension in your playing.

I say:
Move over, Mehldau. eek
Jazzwee is starting to breathe down your neck! grin

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You two are so kind. Knotty, how can you say the time was good? My eighth notes were going off time a little. It's because it was too fast. It's probably 250bpm. I have a couple of weeks to clean it up...

I did discover something that allows me to understand what Mehldau is doing finally. It was a revelation that occurred while studying Herbie. I was over-analyzing Mehldau. Then I listened to everyhing he was doing and he was repeating the same thing in ALL his records.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Then I listened to everything he was doing and he was repeating the same thing in ALL his records.

Hey, I could have told ya that, Jazzwee. laugh Once he finds something good, he uses it -- and uses it --- and uses it!

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
no man, you slipped a couple times but it absolutely doesn't matter. It's a good idea to clean it up a bit, but it's really great nonetheless.

after you have you've submitted to the recital, you should record one for AL give us some ideas.

++

Page 121 of 187 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission