Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1295398 - 10/28/09 12:11 PM Will the Tempest blow me away?
Deerwood Dad Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
I'm an adult "re-beginner". I spent a number of years studying organ (from about age 9 or 10 through college), but not "very" seriously (like any other "kid", I practiced when I could and more or less to avoid the shame and embarassment of appearing to have made little or no progress at my lessons). In college, I wasn't a music major, just took private lessons for a few credits. When my organ career ended, I was studing Bach trio sonatas, more basic preludes/fugues (from Bach's complete organ works), Buxtehude, some French compositions (Franck, Louis Vierne, Messiaen), Brahms and a hodge podge of other things. My repetroire wasn't very large, but my technical skills were "developing". It all pretty much ended in 1979.

Fast forward almost 30 years. I have been taking piano lessons now for about 2.5 years at a local conservatory, and have finished working on things like Rachmaninoff's C# Minor Prelude, a few movements of Bach's Fifth French Suite, the third movement of Bach's Italian Concerto, etc. I'm starting to work on Beethoven's 32 C Minor Variations (as a technique builder), and similar pieces. My touch and technique continue to improve, but I have a long long way to go and always will. It's a lifelong affair. This is all a long-winded bit of background.

My instructor is asking what I want to do next. I am thinking about biting off something big (like a Beethoven Sonata). Am I about to go into too deep an end of the pool here? As I look at the Tempest Sonata (for example), the notes don't look "that" complicated (like, e.g., Rach's G minor prelude which pretty much scares the H out of me), but am wondering what you all think? The third movement of the Tempest is, in my opinion, has an ethereal beauty to it. How much skill does it take to do a composition like this justice?

OK, let me have it. I can take it.

Edited by Deerwood Dad (10/28/09 12:12 PM)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1295476 - 10/28/09 01:56 PM Re: Will the Tempest blow me away? [Re: Deerwood Dad]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

It might blow you away, but there's no harm in taking a bite, chewing it over for a bit to see how it tastes and then spit it out and re-evaluate in another half year. You can always put it back on the shelf and come back to it in another year. I've started biting off bits and pieces of Opus 28 (Sonata in D, Pastoral). I'm in love with the fun of the Andante middle section, but have bit off a bit of the opening movement as well. I suck at it, but I'm better at it now than I was a few years ago. I'll probably go at it for a couple of months off and on and then reshelve it and come back to it in another year and see where the smaller pieces I work on have gotten me.

You can always start with a few slow movements and work towards the faster movements. There's lots of trickiness in Beethoven, but you know that.

Outside of the Beethoven, I've been working on Mendelssohn op. 19, no. 2, 4, op. 30, no. 6. Schumann op. 15, no. 4, 8. Gives me some shorter stuff I might actually get reasonably complete.

#1295513 - 10/28/09 03:11 PM Re: Will the Tempest blow me away? [Re: Deerwood Dad]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
If you can play the middle section of the Rachmaninoff c# minor, you can play the 3rd movement of Tempest.

I agree, it's absolutely gorgeous.

The first movement I've found more difficult.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1295605 - 10/28/09 05:29 PM Re: Will the Tempest blow me away? [Re: dannylux]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Some of the pieces you're playing are certainly advanced. I would ask you teacher. I think the hardest technical part of the Tempest is the triplets in the first movement but I don't know the piece that well. I certainly think it's harder than the g minor Prelude(only the half page starting in E flat is very hard IMO).

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (36251, accordeur, 43 invisible), 1494 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249541 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
04/16/14 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
04/16/14 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
04/16/14 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission