Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1294122 - 10/26/09 01:58 PM What do you use to record yourself audio/video?
Gabe Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
What do you need to be able to make reasonably good video and/or audio recordings of your playing. I'm not nearly ready but would like to start looking into it.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1294136 - 10/26/09 02:19 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Gabe]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Carmel, Indiana
Hi Gabe98, I use a Tascam 8 track digital recorder for audio. I'm about to start making video with my Sony DV video camera. For video I'll run the audio through the Tascam after using some gadget I've got to match the impedance of the mics to the camera.

Most people here use a Samson Zoom H2 or H4 audio recorder, and for video some have started using the Zoom Q3 video camera. These Zooms are very good, and are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. My Tascam is quite a bit bigger.
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano

#1294137 - 10/26/09 02:21 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Larry Larson]
Gabe Offline

Thanks. What are the costs involved?

#1294150 - 10/26/09 02:41 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Gabe]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
The H2 is selling for about $150 these days, and the H4N for $300. The Q3 is about $250.

#1294161 - 10/26/09 02:52 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Monica K.]
Gabe Offline

Thanks Monica.

Follow up questions.

1. With a Q3 do you also need a separate microphone for decent sound recording for piano?

2. Is there an appreciable difference in sound quality for basic voice and piano recording between the H2 and the H4?

Edited by gabeh98 (10/26/09 02:59 PM)

#1294170 - 10/26/09 03:02 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Gabe]
Monica K. Offline

1.) No... what makes the Q3 so wonderful is that it is a combined video + high quality audio recorder. smile

2.) I have not heard much of a difference between the H2 and the H4N, but I've never seen a head-to-head comparison of the two recording the same piece at the same time. I like the sound quality of my H4 better than the audio on the Q3, but I've only had the Q3 a couple of weeks and have not had much time to experiment with it. My early videos were recorded using the H4 audio; the most two recent videos on my YouTube channel were with the Q3, if that helps any.

#1294185 - 10/26/09 03:36 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Monica K.]
Gabe Offline

Thanks again Monica. I found the other thread on the Q3 as well.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1292829.html

I don't think I'm ready to be a movie star, so perhaps the audio is all I need. An H4n sounds like the ideal thing for now. My daughter can also use it for interviews.

I'll be able to track my progress (if any). If I then want video I can get the Flip later.

Back to more practice before the recorder arrives.

#1294199 - 10/26/09 03:58 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Gabe]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I'm currently using Zoom H2 for Audio and then just "balance" it through Audicity. For videos I use Sony HD camcorder and then play the "sync up the audio-video" game.

I may end up with a Q3 someday to make the whole thing much easier and seamless. However I'll probably wait till next year when hopefully the prices have fallen. I got my H2 some 6mths ago and watched the price fall by almost 1/2 in that time!

- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1294200 - 10/26/09 04:01 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: TTigg]
Gabe Offline

I was just reading about using Audacity software for audio recording..

Can you just plug a good microphone into a PC and use Audacity to make a recording?

Any idea how the sound quality would compare to what you can get with the H2? If it works that should be the least expensive solution.

Edited by gabeh98 (10/26/09 04:04 PM)

#1294210 - 10/26/09 04:22 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Gabe]
Monica K. Offline

In theory, yes, Gabe. That's what I started out trying to do, but I never succeeded. I had a Samson USB microphone. Getting a clean recording with it and my laptop, without clipping and distortion, was a hair-pulling, chair-throwing, much cursing exercise in frustration. I was overjoyed when I got my Zoom. heart

If you already have a microphone, by all means go ahead and experiment with it. Audacity is free, after all. smile But you can get a H2 for less than twice what a good mic will cost you, I'm guessing, and it's *well* worth the extra money, imo. ymmv.

Oh, and the Zooms record in stereo, whereas with the mic + laptop arrangement you're looking at mono, unless you go whole hog and buy a mixer and two mics, at which point you should just get the H4N. wink

#1294229 - 10/26/09 04:46 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Monica K.]
Gabe Offline

Yes, I can appreciate the difference between theory and practice. I used to have a good mike, but I haven't seen it in years.

I'll look into getting an H2. It's always a pain ordering from the US as one never knows how much duty and possibly other charges will be added. Canadian prices tend to be 30% higher even though the difference in the dollar is only around 5% these days.

#1295582 - 10/28/09 04:54 PM Re: What do you use to record yourself audio/video? [Re: Gabe]
Janlo Offline

Originally Posted By: gabeh98
I was just reading about using Audacity software for audio recording..

Can you just plug a good microphone into a PC and use Audacity to make a recording?

Any idea how the sound quality would compare to what you can get with the H2? If it works that should be the least expensive solution.

If you want to use Audacity, this link may help:
Piano Clues The instructions are in 3 parts.

Edited by Janlo (10/28/09 04:55 PM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, Almaviva, acortot, 41 invisible), 1505 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153542 Topics
2250176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission