Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1290629 - 10/20/09 03:17 PM Emotional Students
MrsCamels Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Do any of you notice that music lessons bring up emotional issues for your students? I've noticed that the more my adult students progress, the more they open emotionally to the instrument. I've had several "therapy" sessions in the last few months of students just losing it at their lessons, or sharing a lot b/c of the music.
One students has cried several times over the last few months, though she's never done it before. She apologized last time and said, "I don't understand why I'm getting so emotional about this" b/c she's having a hard time working through a piece. She's approaching everything correctly, etc. She just wants to conquer it, and I reminded her that music is emotional, and it may be that the further she gets into the piece, the more things are opening in response. Well, then she explained that this is her only emotional outlet (she's a nurse) and that she practices after work - we both had an "aha" moment!

I think it's great that she's letting herself connect with the music, and have had a few others open in similar ways. It takes them by surprise at how much music can stir up.

so my questions for you all -
do you notice this in your students (my younger students don't seem attune to this just yet) and what pieces do you play that get that from you?

...for me it's rach's c#min prelude

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1290664 - 10/20/09 04:09 PM Re: Emotional Students [Re: MrsCamels]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Determining why someone is crying at lesson is not a guessing game. If the student doesn't know why she is crying, or can not find words to express it to you, you are not moving closer to a solution.

I would be concerned about someone who cries during lessons.

I would not be comfortable or patient with tears if it continued to happen.

There are some pieces that I get tears in my eyes when I hear them: "Wind Beneath My Wings" is one. My daughter was in the army and assigned for a year in "Desert Storm" in the early 1990's. She left 3 sons behind for that year who were 1 - 4 years old - she was not stationed near family and her husband was on his own that year combining work and raising little boys. He finally gave up his job and stayed home until she returned stateside as it was an unworkable situation without his presence in the home. All year I was distraught for her and this song happened to be "our" song, she and I. I just finished typing "she and I" and here are the hot, wet tears now falling down my face.

I can understand emotional responses from deep within. But, I wonder if it is a good thing to continue with a piece that brings such strong reactions to the student.

There is crying for joy, and there is crying for sad, as well as angry and other emotions.

I wouldn't chance what her reason for crying would be unless I heard it clearly from her mouth and heart.

#1290691 - 10/20/09 04:50 PM Re: Emotional Students [Re: Betty Patnude]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
I agree with Betty that I would be concerned about a student crying during lessons.

It is my understanding (from how I was taught) that if you are that emotionally worked up while playing a piece, you are not into the music enough, you haven't dug deeply enough into the music. If you are crying, it's about yourself and your emotions, which are closer to the surface. Dig deeper and your ego gets out of the way, and musical truth comes through.
O.K. I'm ready for any and all controversial comments to follow. I'm sure there will be many...

#1290706 - 10/20/09 05:03 PM Re: Emotional Students [Re: Barb860]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Barb860
I agree with Betty that I would be concerned about a student crying during lessons.

It is my understanding (from how I was taught) that if you are that emotionally worked up while playing a piece, you are not into the music enough, you haven't dug deeply enough into the music. If you are crying, it's about yourself and your emotions, which are closer to the surface. Dig deeper and your ego gets out of the way, and musical truth comes through.
O.K. I'm ready for any and all controversial comments to follow. I'm sure there will be many...

First of all, the student is an adult. It's no big deal if someone crys while playing. Happened to me once and I thought it was actually kind of sweet. Secondly, I don't see how crying and ego are tied together. Music is about feeling something so apparently something natural is happening here. I'd let it happen. Unless of course it turns into a sob fest. smile

#1296276 - 10/29/09 07:42 PM Re: Emotional Students [Re: eweiss]
MrsCamels Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Barb,
I haven't checked this thread out in a while, but just saw your comments.
Interesting! So, it sounds like you're saying that you shouldn't have a personal response to music. Our philosophies in that regard are quite different. I see music as a communicator and the performer is part of that communication. For example, when I was learning Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor, I was learning alot about WWII in school. The prelude became a place for me as a teenager to express the angst and horror I felt over world war and racial annihilation. Was that the intention of the piece? Was it improper for me to place that emotion there? Was that egotistical? No, no, no. If a composer only wants a certain emotion or experience attached to a piece, than the composer should control who plays it. I also don't think that what's on a music page is deeper than what's written on someone's heart. That's placing music above language, the human experience and even above morality. Also, often when we react to a piece emotionally it's because our ego IS out of the way. We've humbled ourselves enough to let it speak to us. thoughts?

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, Atrys, Art_Vandelay, ajames, 36 invisible), 1842 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156285 Topics
2295271 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
Today at 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
Today at 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
Today at 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission