Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, accordeur, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1461 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1295723 - 10/28/09 10:04 PM lost your patience?
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Teachers: Have you ever lost your patience with a student and if so, what happened?
Was it due to him not practicing? Or no-showing a lesson? Or being disrespectful to you?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1295752 - 10/28/09 10:50 PM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Barb860]
Sparkler Offline

Originally Posted By: Barb860
Teachers: Have you ever lost your patience with a student and if so, what happened?
Was it due to him not practicing? Or no-showing a lesson? Or being disrespectful to you?

As a teacher, I've lost my patience when a student quit practising. I did not lose my temper, though, but I did nicely tell my student that I hated to waste her parents' money, and that if she wasn't interested in piano any more, perhaps she should tell them. She shaped up and is still with me 2 yrs later. smile

Thankfully, none of my students have been disrespectful to me... yet.

As a student, I think every single one of my teachers have lost their patience with me at one time or another. Including my college professor. grin
and best of all...
Mom!

#1295850 - 10/29/09 06:19 AM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Sparkler]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
It is the oddest thing -

I can loose my patience in the outside world over various things but put me in front of a student, and I have mucho patience! As long as one is trying/learning/enjoying music, what could be better?

Loosing patience with a parent though was another matter!

Edit - actually that would be more like getting frustrated with a parent.

Edited by lilylady (10/29/09 06:20 AM)

#1295892 - 10/29/09 08:46 AM Re: lost your patience? [Re: lilylady]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I remember a student being disrespectful during a lesson. After several attempts to correct his behavior, I told him his lesson was over, took him out to his parent, explained the situation and showed them the door.

That week, a letter of apology showed up in my mail and he never spoke to me that way again.

Losing my temper . . . I don't think so. You can be angry or frustrated without losing your temper.

#1295914 - 10/29/09 09:22 AM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Minniemay]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Yes, I have lost patience. I don't yell, I get quiet. Speak through clenched teeth. Students have no doubt I am irritated.

General annoyances include the student who whines non stop. And the couple ADD students who can't sit still or play through a piece without becoming distracted. Once my voice goes cold and abrupt, they usually straighten up.

I tell students I can tolerate almost anything except "lying or sneakiness." I have had two students "steal" from my treat basket. I keep it next to me now, rather than on the table behind me. Both students have been called out in front of their parents, when I ask them to open their hand and show me what they have in it. Then I go into my "lying and sneaking is not okay, because then I can't trust you" spiel. Neither student has attempted it again.

#1295947 - 10/29/09 10:11 AM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Lollipop]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have never yelled at a student, but I have lost patience. It was with an ADD kid who I had to tell him to do something 3 times in a row, simply repeating the same thing until he actually listened. He was the first student of the day, and after a half hour of that I was completely beat. I never blamed him for it because I know it was hard for him, too. He went away to boarding school this year, so he didn't return after the summer break. If he had returned, I was going to insist the mother stay for the lesson to help.

There was another boy who was adopted and had some serious emotional issues after witnessing his brother committing suicide. I did my best with him and he was very talented, but he was purposely disrespectful toward me many times, banging on the piano because he knew it irked me. One day he refused to play for me at all, and said I didn't know what I was doing. His lesson ended and I stopped teaching him then and there. His mother wanted me to give him another chance, but he had received many warnings about such behavior and so he knew there were consequences. I had to put my foot down at some point.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1296196 - 10/29/09 05:28 PM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Minniemay]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Minniemay
I remember a student being disrespectful during a lesson. After several attempts to correct his behavior, I told him his lesson was over, took him out to his parent, explained the situation and showed them the door.

That week, a letter of apology showed up in my mail and he never spoke to me that way again.

Losing my temper . . . I don't think so. You can be angry or frustrated without losing your temper.

I needed to hear this. Before we lose our patience, we end the lesson. Yesterday I made the mistake of keeping the lesson going with a teenager who was (and has been all along) very disrespectful. I did not raise my voice with her but I was clearly irritated and told her in so many words that she needed to change her attitude and be respectful. "I don't like your piano". "I hate this music". "I can pedal with just my big toe with no shoes on if I want to". And twice, after I gave her instruction, she said "BLAH BLAH BLAH", looking me straight in the eye. Now while this may appear funny to some, it certainly wasn't at the time.
The youngster's mom is aware of her daughter's behavior, as she sits in the next room during lessons and I leave the door open.
Based on what happened yesterday, she will probably quit.

#1296199 - 10/29/09 05:31 PM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Barb860
Originally Posted By: Minniemay

I needed to hear this. Before we lose our patience, we end the lesson. Yesterday I made the mistake of keeping the lesson going with a teenager who was (and has been all along) very disrespectful. I did not raise my voice with her but I was clearly irritated and told her in so many words that she needed to change her attitude and be respectful. "I don't like your piano". "I hate this music". "I can pedal with just my big toe with no shoes on if I want to". And twice, after I gave her instruction, she said "BLAH BLAH BLAH", looking me straight in the eye. Now while this may appear funny to some, it certainly wasn't at the time.
The youngster's mom is aware of her daughter's behavior, as she sits in the next room during lessons and I leave the door open.
Based on what happened yesterday, she will probably quit.

Wow. I would have stopped the lesson, definitely. and probably suggested she not bother to return either. If the mother has known about this issue and it hasn't been corrected, then the child does not need to take piano lessons. At least not from you.

**edited to add: I know there are abusive teachers out there, but many of the ones who post here are not, and most of the ones I know in this area are not abusive as well. But how many of us have put up with being abused by students? How many of us held out hope that we could reach that student if only we gave them another chance to the point where it was well beyond what is healthy for all involved?

Edited by Morodiene (10/29/09 05:36 PM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1296287 - 10/29/09 07:56 PM Re: lost your patience? [Re: Morodiene]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I lose my patience with kids that whine, especially when the parent allows it. Makes me c-r-a-z-y!

I don't tolerate disrespect, I will call them on that every time.

I don't have a huge problem with no-shows and my policy states that they are paid for, so the no-show itself doesn't bother me, it's the lack of phone call that does. I will tell the kid every time "you can call me you know, it doesn't have to be your parent".

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission