2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Gadzar
I have sent several mails to Dave Carpenter and it seems he's not going to include "interval tuning" for PPC version because he says "it is seldom used on VT100"

Can VT's Dave confirm if you happen to be reading this ? The VT's webpage says both Spectrum Display and Interval Tuning will be available as FREE upgrade.

Last edited by Cashley; 10/14/09 08:41 AM.
just to chime in on an old thread ... just got the SAT IV, should make life interesting... soon to have a SAT II for sale.
more later

73'
kd7
mark

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, But a large Number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Flickr
Collins
J
JBE Offline
J
That's great. Let us know how the SAT IV works out. It's been hard to find any reviews on it. Are there any SAT users out there that would like to give it a review? From what I've read it's basically the same except for the shell.

D
D
I used a SAT, for 3 years, and the VT for three years. For me there is no comparison. I my opinion, the VT is superior. The display is more informative and easier to read than the SAT. Tuning the extreme octaves is much easier with the VT. False beats are easier to read and adjust with the VT. I have been using Ron Koval's new styles on my VT and the results have been great. A number of compliments from my home and school customers. The VT is much more flexible than the SAT. For doing basic tuning the Sat was fine, but with wide pitch changes and the ability to adjust the tunings as you go, the VT is the most advanced unit out. Cost was worth it.

J
JBE Offline
J
Does Tunelab work well on the ipaq 110/111? It is not mentioned on the Tunlab site as a recommended computer so I e-mailed them a while back and was told that it should work. The word should gave me pause to try it.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I run Tunelab on an iPaq 210 and it works great. It doesn't lock up like it did on my old iPaq. I use to have to reset on a regular basis. Not on this one. The 210 has a bigger, higher resolution screen than the 110, if memory serves. When I inquired about the Verituner Pocket version, they said that it would work on the 210, but would run better on the 110. I assume that is because the display on the 210 eats up more system resources. So, in short, I think that Tunelab would run fine on the 110, maybe even better than it does on the 210.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by RPD
So Bill...I just realized I'm reading this from wayyyyy back in 2004.

What platform are you using today??

RPD

I had not been participating or even reading this thread because for me, it was a moot point. I ultimately took Tom the Tuner's suggestion and bought an SAT III in early 2005, so I have been using that for nearly 5 years.

That being said, I am somewhat interested in getting an SAT IV as my primary device and if I can find a really good pocket device that has enough capacity, I would install the software for the three other programs. Then, I would have it all and be able to use each to its own unique advantages when that opportunity presents itself.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
D
D
I've been using the VT100 since it came out and really like the machine. The only problem is there hasn't been any updates for it for years. I've heard that Tunelab can do a pitch raise without mutes. Has anyone here in the forum used
Tunelab for this pupose?

Daryl Durand, RPT
Durand Piano Service
http://www.durandpiano.com
J
JBE Offline
J
I'm currently in the process of getting to the bottom of the issue with different calculated tunings. I still have VT Pocket installed on an iPaq 111. Other techicicans find that it does as good a job as the VT 100. I've adjusted the microphone gain up a notch again on the ppc and changed the needle graphics. I may need to reinstall the program or something. Or send the whole thing in to Veritune to have it checked out by them. I'll do some more side by side comparisons with VT 100 and VT Pocket.

J
JBE Offline
J
A colleague of mine uses Tunelab. I've tuned once with it and it's a great device. He finds it very easy to tune the upper treble by using the mute-less pitch raise method. You can visually read each string at the same time.

Ron Koval has a short YouTube video where he uses Tunelab.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
One of my youtube vids (link at the bottom of this message) goes over a muteless pitch raise using tunelab. (wow, I haven't added any vids in a loooong time! Gotta get goin' again...

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I have a friend who owns both VT100 and VT Pocket. He says that he gets more complete readings of partials with the box. So what he does, on pianos he sees regularly, is to take readings with the box, save them to the computer, and then load them onto the iPaq. I think that he got the VT100 first, but now uses the iPaq most of the time.

I have to say that like Bill I am tempted by the SAT IV. It looks like one rugged unit. The thing is that these Pocket PC's only last a couple of years for me on average. In about 8 years, I'm on my 4th one. Eventually something happens if you use it every day. Now that I use a Blackberry, many of the PDA functions are redundant (although it is nice to have the backup along). Alot of the attraction of the PPC was that it was such a versatile tool, in addition to being a tuning device. Now that's not so important. The SAT IV looks like the kind of machine you could still be using in ten or twenty years, even if you are rough on it. So, basically, if and when this iPaq gives up, I might just switch. Hopefully it will be a while.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Do you have any vids on tuning using a VT ?

I've fiddled with the tunelab trial version, and I found it to be sensitive in the sense that it's not easy to get to the 'zero' point. I wonder if the VT shares similar characteristic.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Some of the vids show the VT - in fact I got started with the videos from questions on the Verituner forum - "how is it possible to tune and pitch raise under two or three hours?!?" That 6-parter on youtube shows just that using the Verituner creating a new file. Most of the videos are pretty rough quality - both audio and visual. I'm trying to come up with better quality for the next group...

The pocket pc version has a smoothing function that can be applied to stabilize the needle or spinner. It helps a lot. The box seems to be a little better at auto-note-switching in the upper ranges, but the needle and spinner can "dance" around a bit, depending on the piano.

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I'm keen on a PPC version but there are 2 functions still missing from the PPC version as mentioned in VT's website - spectrum display and direct intervals tuning. Although it'll be made available as free downloads at a later stage, it still isn't available and there is no guarantee that it will be made available eventually, or how soon ?

Can you think of any other PPC that can run VT other than the miserable iPAQ ? VT seems to prefer a QVGA to a full VGA. What is the reason when VGA is clearly a more expensive option and produces better pixels.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I'm not a pro-tuner; so you may wish to take my observations with a grain of salt. I spent a lot of money on the vt program, because I like my piano to be perfectly in tune all the time. No way could I afford to keep a tech on call for this! Also, with a piano tuner, no matter how good, you are getting one person's tuning, which may not be the tuning you prefer. Once again, if you can manage to do it yourself, you can make the piano sound exactly the way you want it to: the octaves stretched exactly as you like them, the thirds, etc.,etc.,... And you can experiment with different tunings.

So with that in mind I went out on a limb and purchased the VT, indeed, with no way of really demoing the program prior to purchase.

What are my observations?? Well, in general, it took me some time to get exactly the right tuning for my particular Kawai model 500, (1968). Finally, I have what to my ears sounds like a spectacular tuning, but I had many issues along the way.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission