2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Good for you. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Phlebas
There's noting inflammatory about saying the the Chopin Fantasie is uninteresting.

I have no opinion of you whatsoever. You're the one who seems to have the problem.

Otherwise, you're just getting petulant.

Oh, nothing inflammatory about that, is there? In my opinion, your tone and your behavior—now and in the past—is inexcusable for a monitor. The worst of it is that because of your status, you cannot be Ignored.

You said you didn't understand my comments about netiquette. Why in the world would netiquette need to be explained to a monitor?

Steven

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
There's noting inflammatory about saying the the Chopin Fantasie is uninteresting.

I have no opinion of you whatsoever. You're the one who seems to have the problem.

Otherwise, you're just getting petulant.

Oh, nothing inflammatory about that, is there? In my opinion, your tone and your behavior—now and in the past—is inexcusable for a monitor. The worst of it is that because of your status, you cannot be Ignored.

You said you didn't understand my comments about netiquette. Why in the world would netiquette need to be explained to a monitor?

Steven

What is inflammatory about saying the Chopin Fantasy is uninteresting? It's just an opinion. And, how is stating that opinion in the way it was done a breach of forum rules?

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
What is inflammatory about saying the Chopin Fantasy is uninteresting? It's just an opinion. And, how is stating that opinion in the way it was done a breach of forum rules?

It's not, and that's plainly not what I said in either instance.

Twisting other people's words is the refuge of the rabbit hole. Any port in a storm, I guess. frown

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I love them all, they are not only amongst my favorite Chopin works, but my favorite pieces of music of all time. Considering I like the more or less equally as a group them all, if I had to subcategorize my love from favorite to least :

Ballade no. 4
Fantasy in F minor
Scherzo no 4
Scherzo no 2
Ballade no 2
Scherzo no 1
Ballade no 1
Barcarolle
Ballade no 3
Scherzo no 3

.....Since I'm stuck at home - a few interesting personal quips about some of them..

While not my favorite FAVORITE piece - if I had 20 minutes left to live and was given the opportunity to listen to just one final thing, it would be undoubtably the Scherzo no 4. There is something about this piece - the subtle melancholic middle section, the playful, carefree sweep of the outer parts, and the way the whole piece suggests, to me, the attitude one should have when departing from life: Cheerful, forgiving, upward looking, and retrospective.

As much as I love it, I have, horrifically, become emotionally numb to the first Ballade. When I was 10, I would sit next to my CD player, tear-eyed and dumbfoudned at the piece, hitting the rewind button over the same few bars in the piece 15 or 20 times every day. Perhaps because of this early obsession, perhaps because it has nearly become the deafault conservatory undergrad audition piece, perhaps because it is played too often and often badly - I just can't feel anything for it anymore, so my ranking of it may be affected by this.

I think the greatest work, almost unarguably, is the 4th ballade. The Scope of emotions, mastery of the counterpoint, variety of beautiful melodies and almost impressionistic textures in this piece place it at the top. I can't bring to mind any other piece in the piano literature that captures the same type of intensity this ballade does at the crashing chords that are before the coda. John Ogdon likened this piece to Fitzgerald' "the last Tycoon", in it's "romantic communion of unparalled proportions."

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Capt. Kirk says...

[Linked Image]

What an awesome thread! And ... KHAN!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

It's not, and that's plainly not what I said in either instance.

Twisting other people's words is the refuge of the rabbit hole. Any port in a storm, I guess. frown

Steven

Interesting, since you're the one who introduced the word inflammatory. What did you mean then, since it had to do with a stated opinion about a piece?

You seem to be getting into an argumentative mode. I'm simply making a point that it's ok for someone to express an opinion in a way they see fit - within the parameters of the rules, of course.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
4 Ballades, 4 Bcherzos, the Barcarole and the Fantasy (in F minor) in the order of preference?

I've played Ballades 3 & 4, Scherzos 1, 2, & 3, and the Fantasy.

As my moods change so does my preference for one of the pieces. They are all wonderful pieces tho I'm not too fond of the second ballade. It's nice but I prefer almost everything else to that. The Barcarole is nice too, but have no inclination to play it. I would rather just listen to it.

I think, for difficulty, the 4th ballade and Fantasy would top my list. That does not imply that the other pieces do not have difficulties as well. I was enthralled by Hofmann's 1st Scherzo and Barere's 3rd Scherzo and 1st Ballade. Anyway, I think the choice of favorites is personal as to quality and difficulty and I choose to just enjoy all of them as beautiful pieces I like to work on and play.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting, Varcon. What did you find difficult about the Fantasy that you would rank it as one of the more difficult?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Phlebas:

Don't you think they all have difficulties of varying degrees? And technical abilities vary, too, from one individual to another. Rare is the person who has a 'complete' technique in every aspect and that means technical facility as well as interpretive ability.

I think, to answer your question, it is that the Fantasy is a bit longer and perhaps took me longer to work through it. I will admit to being a LOUSY sight-reader and defer to almost anyone in that area. I continually work on improving my technique tho and I am pretty good in that aspect. But I take my time in learning to play a piece and and use the metronome to keep it under control until nearing a date to perform and then I do drop the metronome but keep up hands separately and SLOW< SLOW< SLOW practice.

Last edited by Varcon; 10/31/09 01:52 PM.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Interesting, since you're the one who introduced the word inflammatory. What did you mean then, since it had to do with a stated opinion about a piece?

You seem to be getting into an argumentative mode. I'm simply making a point that it's ok for someone to express an opinion in a way they see fit - within the parameters of the rules, of course.

You claim that "[p]eople should just express their opinions," yet you didn't seem to care for or "understand" my opinion that people should make clear when they're offering an opinion versus a statement of fact. That's standard netiquette, it's a social nicety, and it promotes discussion instead of antagonism. Again, these points were made in the Hamelin thread.

When someone says, as here, that the Fantaisie is "not a technically-demanding piece," that reads to me like a statement of fact. To anyone who's unacquainted with the piece and therefore doesn't recognize the absurdity of that declaration, it would be taken as a statement of fact. If it wasn't meant as one, how hard would it have been to add the words for me?

Consider "Chopin wrote stuff that's more interesting. Much more interesting." That reads like a statement of fact, too, though unless the writer has the credibility of a professional critic, one might not give it such weight. As a statement of opinion—and coupled with the previous suggestion that the Fantaisie is a high-school-level technical trifle—it comes across as supercilious. How hard would it have been to add the words to me? Without the disclaimer that it's just an opinion, it's inflammatory.

This is at least the third time that you have taken issue with me for addressing what I believed to be improper or wrong and chosen instead to defend the impropriety. You state your opinion that you don't like my opinion; when I defend myself, you depict me as "petulant" and "argumentative." That's inflammatory.

You seem to think "it's ok for someone to express an opinion in a way they see fit - within the parameters of the rules, of course," except when that someone is me. You conflate "forum rules" with the simple and long-established conventions of netiquette that act as a social lubricant where the written word is relied upon in the absence of any other kinds of nuances or cues. You have defended violations of netiquette and even forum rules concerning vulgarity when it meant you could take a cheap shot at me instead. You have distorted my words to give cover to your agenda.

I think everyone should expect better from a moderator.

Steven

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Varcon
Phlebas:

Don't you think they all have difficulties of varying degrees? And technical abilities vary, too, from one individual to another. Rare is the person who has a 'complete' technique in every aspect and that means technical facility as well as interpretive ability.

I think, to answer your question, it is that the Fantasy is a bit longer and perhaps took me longer to work through it. I will admit to being a LOUSY sight-reader and defer to almost anyone in that area. I continually work on improving my technique tho and I am pretty good in that aspect. But I take my time in learning to play a piece and and use the metronome to keep it under control until nearing a date to perform and then I do drop the metronome but keep up hands separately and SLOW< SLOW< SLOW practice.

Certainly, they all have difficulties. I hope I didn't imply that they didn't. Any of the ones I played took a lot of work.

I was just wondering what aspect of the Fantasy you found more difficult. Thanks you. I also think the length of the Fantasy might add to its difficulty.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

You claim that "[p]eople should just express their opinions," yet you didn't seem to care for or "understand" my opinion that people should make clear when they're offering an opinion versus a statement of fact. That's standard netiquette, it's a social nicety, and it promotes discussion instead of antagonism. Again, these points were made in the Hamelin thread.

When someone says, as here, that the Fantaisie is "not a technically-demanding piece," that reads to me like a statement of fact. To anyone who's unacquainted with the piece and therefore doesn't recognize the absurdity of that declaration, it would be taken as a statement of fact. If it wasn't meant as one, how hard would it have been to add the words for me?

Consider "Chopin wrote stuff that's more interesting. Much more interesting." That reads like a statement of fact, too, though unless the writer has the credibility of a professional critic, one might not give it such weight. As a statement of opinion—and coupled with the previous suggestion that the Fantaisie is a high-school-level technical trifle—it comes across as supercilious. How hard would it have been to add the words to me? Without the disclaimer that it's just an opinion, it's inflammatory.

This is at least the third time that you have taken issue with me for addressing what I believed to be improper or wrong and chosen instead to defend the impropriety. You state your opinion that you don't like my opinion; when I defend myself, you depict me as "petulant" and "argumentative." That's inflammatory.

You seem to think "it's ok for someone to express an opinion in a way they see fit - within the parameters of the rules, of course," except when that someone is me. You conflate "forum rules" with the simple and long-established conventions of netiquette that act as a social lubricant where the written word is relied upon in the absence of any other kinds of nuances or cues. You have defended violations of netiquette and even forum rules concerning vulgarity when it meant you could take a cheap shot at me instead. You have distorted my words to give cover to your agenda.

I think everyone should expect better from a moderator.

Steven

Sv,

Get off your high horse. I argue with a lot of people here. Don't primp yourself into thinking you're singled out at all. That's not the case.

You have the right to your opinion. So does everyone else. It's not your job to set the tone here. There's a variety of posting styles here, and it's presumptuous of you to go around correcting people.

That's the last thing I have to say to you on the subject.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Sv,

Get off your high horse. I argue with a lot of people here. Don't primp yourself into thinking you're singled out at all. That's not the case.

You have the right to your opinion. So does everyone else. It's not your job to set the tone here. There's a variety of posting styles here, and it's presumptuous of you to go around correcting people.

Q.E.D., and I hope it's the last thing you ever have to say to me about any subject.

If you can tell me to "get off my high horse" in public, how come I couldn't tell you what to do in private without you crying to Frank about it?

I wonder how high your horse was when you addressed me with phrases like "Nice try," "Face it" and "Guess what?" the last time you picked a fight with me—and how high it is now saying things like "Don't primp yourself."

What's "presumptuous," in my opinion, is you telling me about "my job" considering your tenuous grasp of the responsibilities, authority and circumspection appropriate to a moderator.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To rate the difficulty I would have to get the music out again as it has been some time since I played it. The descending triplet figures were especially annoying with the intervalic distance. In the 4th Ballade the double note passage is especially difficult to control the balance between the melodic intent and the lower notes to keep from making it mush.

Anyway, I enjoy working on the difficulties and do get frustrated at times while doing doing it!! But practice is 'fun' to me and the challenge is good too. I think a face to face discussion would be best as then one can do a 'show and tell' on the various facets of difficulty and technique.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sv,

Q.E.D., and I hope it's the last thing you ever have to say to me about any subject.

If you can tell me to "get off my high horse" in public, how come I couldn't tell you what to do in private without you crying to Frank about it?

I wonder how high your horse was when you addressed me with phrases like "Nice try," "Face it" and "Guess what?" the last time you picked a fight with me—and how high it is now saying things like "Don't primp yourself."

What's "presumptuous," in my opinion, is you telling me about "my job" considering your tenuous grasp of the responsibilities, authority and circumspection appropriate to a moderator.

Steven

/ignore

Last edited by Phlebas; 10/31/09 06:09 PM.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Sv,

Steven

/ignore

Q.E.D.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Sv,

Steven

/ignore

I can't help but think that that's a bloody pompous thing for you to say to a user who can't ignore you if he wanted to.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
I can't help but think that that's a bloody pompous thing for you to say to a user who can't ignore you if he wanted to.

I wouldn't expect otherwise of a moderator who, in addition to all the abuses of his position I mentioned previously, insults members with impunity, chooses to publicly participate in and escalate a disagreement rather than defuse it, and is openly dismissive of netiquette.

Steven

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Sv,

Steven

/ignore

I said it out in the open.

I don't have anyone on ignore status. You can't really put annoying posters on ignore when you're a moderator. You generally have to read the stupid and/or dysfunctional things they post.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission