Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1296527 - 10/30/09 09:29 AM To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy
StupidQuestion Offline

Hi. I registered here to post this stupid question.

How would you rank the 4 Ballades, 4 Bcherzos, the Barcarole and the Fantasy (in F minor) in the order of preference? Which piece you like the best, which second best and so on.

Those 10 pieces can be considered a group. Playing them lasts about 7-13 minutes. That makes them bigger than Waltzes, Nocturnes, Etudes etc, but they are not on the same league than Sonatas or Piano Concertos.

If you are to post your opinion, a simple list is just fine for me. Explanations are appreciated but not necessary.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1296544 - 10/30/09 09:58 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: StupidQuestion]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I don't want to call your question stupid, but when I saw the title of this thread I did think that you were proposing to rank this collection of compositions by difficulty. That would have some practical value that I really don't see in a hypothetical listing by "preference."

I think everyone familiar with Chopin has favored categories of works, preferred pieces within each category, and an opinion about the appeal of the standalone pieces as well. But to try to grade the collective diversity of pieces on a sliding scale of personal allure doesn't quite make sense to me!

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1296552 - 10/30/09 10:04 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: sotto voce]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Steven, would you care to rank them by difficulty? That's what I was hoping for when I clicked on the thread.

#1296553 - 10/30/09 10:05 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: sotto voce]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
I agree with Steven that the diversity of preferences would be somewhat useless as that depends too much on personal taste. Ranking by difficulty might make more sense tho that too could be very questionable since what is difficult for one person might present little problem to another.

#1296562 - 10/30/09 10:19 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Varcon]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Varcon
I agree with Steven that the diversity of preferences would be somewhat useless as that depends too much on personal taste.

"Useless" maybe, but "of interest to some" probably. I think people constantly discuss which pieces they like/dislike and ranking them is another version of this. I would say that trying to put them in a precise 1-10 order is not possible for some, including me.

Faves: Barcarolle, Scherzo #4, Ballade #4
Least faves: Scherzo #2, Ballade #1

#1296570 - 10/30/09 10:41 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: -Frycek]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Steven, would you care to rank them by difficulty? That's what I was hoping for when I clicked on the thread.

I don't know if I'm up to it! All the usual caveats would apply about different people of different backgrounds and skills having different experiences of what's relatively hard or relatively manageable, that's for sure. smile

Even so, there's such a variety of tempi and pianistic devices that such a ranking seems like an arbitrary mixture of hard apples and tough oranges. (Also, despite my familiarity with these pieces, I haven't actively worked on the majority of them; my assessment would be based more on impression than experience).

Another thought occurs to me as well. The OP obviously set the parameter here of these 10 pieces exclusively, but a list of Chopin's compositions that are bigger than the Waltzes, Nocturnes, Etudes and Preludes but not multi-movement works like the Sonatas or Concertos would be a longer one than just these ten; notably missing are the final three Polonaises and the Allegro de Concert.

And what about the Rondos, the Bolero and the Op. 12 Variations? And if we include those early yet lengthy works, perhaps we should include the four Concert Pieces and the Cello Polonaise as well.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1296576 - 10/30/09 11:01 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: sotto voce]
Phlebas Offline

Quick answer - could elaborate more later:

From most difficult to least - IMO, and mostly on technical merits:

- Fantasie
- 4th Scherzo
- 4th Ballade
- Barcarolle
- 2nd Scherzo
- 1st Ballade
- 2nd Ballade
- 3rd Scherzo
- 1st Scherzo
- 3rd Ballade

Personal preference from like the most to like the least:

- 4th Scherzo
- 3rd Ballade
- Barcarolle
- 2nd Ballade
- 2nd Scherzo
- 3rd Scherzo
- 4th Ballade
- 1st Ballade
- 1st Scherzo
- Fantasie

Edited by Phlebas (10/30/09 11:05 AM)

#1296580 - 10/30/09 11:05 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Phlebas]
Phlebas Offline

Dupe

Edited by Phlebas (10/30/09 11:05 AM)

#1296582 - 10/30/09 11:07 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Phlebas]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

This is my difficulty ranking in order of increasing challenge:

Scherzo Op. 20
Barcarolle Op. 60
Ballade Op. 47
Scherzo Op. 31
Scherzo Op. 39
Ballade Op. 23
Fantaisie Op. 49
Scherzo Op. 54
Ballade Op. 38
Ballade Op. 52

A ranking by preference is impossible for me.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1296594 - 10/30/09 11:17 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: sotto voce]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Preference

Barcarolle
Ballade 1
Ballade 2
Ballade 4

Not that familiar with the rest.

#1296597 - 10/30/09 11:21 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Phlebas]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Phlebas -

I find it interesting that you rank the Fantasy as being the most difficult. I've performed the Fantasy and find it easier than several of the other compositions on the list - all of which, with the exception of Ballade No. 2, I have yet to learn. (I've dabbled with most of them, however.)

Just curious - is your ranking based on your personal experience in performing each of these pieces - or is it simply based on your perception of their difficulty?

#1296598 - 10/30/09 11:27 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: carey]
Phlebas Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
Phlebas -

I find it interesting that you rank the Fantasy as being the most difficult. I've performed the Fantasy and find it easier than several of the other compositions on the list - all of which, with the exception of Ballade No. 2, I have yet to learn. (I've dabbled with most of them, however.)

Just curious - is your ranking based on your personal experience in performing each of these pieces - or is it simply based on your perception of their difficulty?

It's based on some personal experience (I've played the 2nd Ballade, 4th Ballade, and 3rd Scherzo), having read through the others a lot, etc.
Also, it's based what I would find difficult.

If you've played the Fantasie, then I would defer to you, but I think it is difficult to perform well - keep it structurally together, etc. I also think the passagework is fairly difficult. I would think the Fantasie takes some more stamina - compared to some of the others on the list. Did you find that to be the case?

Edited by Phlebas (10/30/09 11:32 AM)

#1296613 - 10/30/09 11:44 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: StupidQuestion]
StupidQuestion Offline

I was simply asking for opinions. There is no question mark at the end of the name of the topic, because there was no space for it. This kind of listing might be stupid and empty and whatever, but it is something I have always done.

These 10 pieces are also considered a kind of a group by the Chopin Competition bosses. At the stage II, a contestant must play one piece out of these 10 pieces.
Also, I don't know the Rondos or Bolero so I cannot include them here.

I myself cannot answer much to my own initial question. Ballade 3 and Barcarole are my two faves, and Ballade 4 might be 3rd favourite, although I'm quite sick about it right now.
Scherzo 1 is easily the weakest imo, but I cannot evaluate much the rest of the pack.

#1296623 - 10/30/09 12:00 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: StupidQuestion]
Sparkler Offline

I've played only about half of these, (couple of ballade and scherzi) but of all I've played, I have to say that the Barcarolle has remained the most challenging for me technically and musically, and is also my favorite. I think the Barcarolle is hard to play well.

I think for me, the Barcarolle may be the best thing Chopin ever wrote. There are a couple of sections in there that make me weep!
and best of all...
Mom!

#1296629 - 10/30/09 12:20 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: StupidQuestion]
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I like the first Scherzo, the third Ballade, and the Fantasy the best but I'm usually in the minority when I say that. frown

I didn't think the Fantasy looked as difficult as the ballades. I wanted to learn it senior year... now I'm having second thoughts!
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12

#1296648 - 10/30/09 01:11 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: akonow]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: akonow
I didn't think the Fantasy looked as difficult as the ballades. I wanted to learn it senior year... now I'm having second thoughts!

Don't have second thoughts! I share carey's surprise that the Fantaisie's difficulties are frequently overrated. While the connecting passages with the triplet figures that ascend and then descend in consecutive measures were a challenge for me, as was nailing the spots with fairly large octave jumps in contrary motion, I had no other significant problems.

Stamina doesn't seem like an important issue because the duration of the piece is offset by such a variety of textures; furthermore, the Lento sostenuto is a well-placed opportunity to relax and recharge. And of course the piece is difficult to play well—like every other one in that group. smile

I said I wouldn't rank them by preference, but I'll concede that the Fantaisie would be very near the top of my list. I think it contains some of Chopin's very finest music, and learning it was consistently absorbing and rewarding. Believe me, it's a lot of fun to practice and to play.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1296653 - 10/30/09 01:21 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Sparkler]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sparkler

I think for me, the Barcarolle may be the best thing Chopin ever wrote. There are a couple of sections in there that make me weep!

I remember a master class with Fialkowska where she more or less said that she felt the last pages of the Barcarolle were the greatest passages Chopin wrote.

#1296724 - 10/30/09 03:32 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: pianoloverus]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I'm with sparkler on this one. Come to think of it, the Barcarolle is probably my favourite Chopin piece. And with this piece, i enjoy such different interpretations as Sofronitsky's from Zimerman's can be, something that doesn't happen to me with that many works.

#1296729 - 10/30/09 03:39 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: izaldu]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
My favorites are the 1st Ballade, 3rd Scherzo, and Fantasy.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1296732 - 10/30/09 03:42 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: pianoloverus]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Per Phlebas - "If you've played the Fantasie, then I would defer to you, but I think it is difficult to perform well - keep it structurally together, etc. I also think the passagework is fairly difficult. I would think the Fantasie takes some more stamina - compared to some of the others on the list. Did you find that to be the case?

Phlebas - I concur completely with Steven's response above.

#1296733 - 10/30/09 03:42 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Kreisler]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
...and on the subject of the third scherzo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9MvizSf78
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1296737 - 10/30/09 03:46 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Kreisler]
Chopin4life Offline

Loc: UK
Thats the best version of the 3rd Scherzo I've heard in my opinion. The only piece on the list I've learnt it the 2nd Scherzo (I'm almost finished with it now) and that for me was pretty damn hard! My favourites are the 4th and 1st ballade, and the 2nd and 3rd Scherzo.

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152

#1296748 - 10/30/09 04:01 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Chopin4life]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I like the Barcarolle, Ballades 1, 3, and 4 and Scherzo No. 3.

The Fantasy bores me. Scherzo No. 2 is cool, but _way_ overplayed.

The most daunting one of the group is Ballade No. 4 in terms of technique and musicality required to pull it off. I don't think I'll ever come around to learning that one. That's the one I revere more than love.

There are passages in Scherzo No. 3 that're insane (the fast octaves--yikes!).

#1296777 - 10/30/09 04:35 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: carey]
Phlebas Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
Per Phlebas - "If you've played the Fantasie, then I would defer to you, but I think it is difficult to perform well - keep it structurally together, etc. I also think the passagework is fairly difficult. I would think the Fantasie takes some more stamina - compared to some of the others on the list. Did you find that to be the case?

Phlebas - I concur completely with Steven's response above.

Thanks. I'll have to read through it some more to see if I change my mind.

I've seen people play a very good Barcarolle, or 4th scherzo, and seem overwhelmed by the Fantasie.

#1296875 - 10/30/09 08:45 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: Phlebas]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
From beginning to end, the Barcarolle stands alone in my estimation (except perhaps for the 3rd Sonata) as the most wonderful composition of Chopin. It took me months to get it under my fingers, but I was so happy listening as it gradually took shape that I never got tired of practicing it. I also agree with others that a list of personal preferences in this group of some of his greatest works isn't very useful, so I'll stick with my list of difficulty, starting with the least challenging:

-- Fantasie
-- 3rd Ballade
-- 1st Scherzo
-- 2nd Scherzo
-- 2nd Ballade
-- Barcarolle
-- 1st Ballade
-- 3rd Scherzo
-- 4th Scherzo
-- 4th Ballade

#1296894 - 10/30/09 09:23 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: AZNpiano]
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
The Fantasy bores me.

Agh! The pain!!! wink

I have to admit I thought it was boring at first too but that's because I didn't listen to the whole thing.

#1296937 - 10/30/09 11:11 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: akonow]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

The Fantasy bores me.

I have to admit I thought it was boring at first too but that's because I didn't listen to the whole thing.

Dang, there's no accounting for what we find fascinating or boring.

Chopin's Fantaisie is one of my earliest musical memories. My grandmother would take me to rummage sales, where I would pick out 78-rpm records and bring them home to play on my portable record player (the kind that had a cartridge that flipped over with one stylus for 33 and 45 rpm and a different one for 78).

I loved the piece from the first time I heard it, and tried to convince my mother that the major-key theme occurring three times sounded more like butterflies than that "Butterfly Etude" on a different 78. My little neighborhood friends were less than delighted, and the stage was set for suffering social stigma in sandbox society.

Fifty years later, I'm still loving the Fantaisie—and rummage sales, thrift stores and swap meets, too, though eBay makes it so much more convenient—and still enduring the ongoing ostracism of an outcast outsider. smile

Agh! The pain!!! wink

Memories ... may be beautiful, and yet ....

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1296946 - 10/30/09 11:22 PM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: sotto voce]
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
My little neighborhood friends were less than delighted, and the stage was set for suffering social stigma in sandbox society

There, there. I prefer Chopin to sandboxes anyway! On a side note, it does seem that a lot of the people I've spoken with seem to have been ostracized for their love of classical music while I haven't had so much as a "classical music is boring" out of even my acquaintances. Oh well, that's another topic for another day...

#1297014 - 10/31/09 01:57 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: akonow]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
The Fantasy bores me.

Agh! The pain!!! wink

Well, I played the Fantasy in high school. It's not a technically-demanding piece. Chopin wrote stuff that's more interesting. Much more interesting.

#1297022 - 10/31/09 03:06 AM Re: To rank the Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Barcarole and Fantasy [Re: AZNpiano]
akonow Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've personally felt that it could be his magnum opus.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (AZNpiano, Alux, AtomicBond, Atrys, 15 invisible), 1149 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
04/25/14 03:29 AM
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
04/25/14 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
04/25/14 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
04/25/14 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission