2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1296342 10/29/09 10:12 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone, me again...>.<
I finally purchased a dp which is roland rd-300s. Seems like it's an old product, however that's the only thing I can get for now.

Anyone has any experience on this DP? It has 88 keys, weighted. Thanks for any reply! LOL

Currently playing: 'Jingle Bells'
Feedback from self: supposed to be merry, my playing makes it sound like funeral procession
Goal: to be able to play classical pieces!
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I used to have one. If you can, run it through a good quality reverb unit, because it doesn't have any reverb of it's own - reverb does help it a lot. I believe Elton John used the electric grand sound on some of his songs in that era. (the same sounds in your piano were in other higher-end pianos and piano modules)

One thing I didn't like about mine was that it was difficult to play softy with consistent touch - the keys would stick slightly at the top of their travel, and the amount that they stuck was also inconsistent, so it was impossible to compensate for this with one's playing. What happened was that in order to overcome the resistance, I would have to press down a bit harder, but then the key would suddenly give way, and the resulting key strike velocity would be harder than I had intended. I upgraded to a Kawai MP9000, which was a HUGE improvement. smile

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 10/30/09 10:44 PM.
OP Offline
Thanks Greg! But what is a 'reverb'? Sorry I'm such a newbie in DP world... blush
Do you think it is OK for a beginner? I just started piano on my own... ha

Feedback from self: supposed to be merry, my playing makes it sound like funeral procession
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Here's a clip of Elton's "I don't wanna go on with you like that", which sounds like it's using the Roland SAS(*) electric grand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAWF-b4voYQ
He's even playing a Roland digital piano in the clip. smile

Greg.
* SAS = Structured/Adaptive Synthesis, which is the synthesis method used in the RD300S and other models in the same family.

Last edited by sullivang; 10/30/09 11:06 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
A "reverb" is an effects unit which you plug into the output of your piano. The output of the effects unit then goes to your amplifier. It modifies the sound of the piano, to simulate playing the piano in different types of rooms - it can make it sound like you are playing in a huge cathedral, or in a tiny bedroom, etc etc. It adds "reverberation" to the sound.
Without it, the sound is somewhat dry and sterile. If you only want to use headphones plugged directly into the piano, though, then you'll have to accept the sound as it is.

If you're a beginner I think it will be fine and will probably be ok for years. As you improve, you might want to get a piano with a better touch, though. (i.e, one that FEELS more like a real piano to play)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 10/30/09 11:04 PM.
OP Offline
Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed answer! Hmm most probably I will be playing with headphones on, since I live in apartments...lol
Maybe one day when I can earn my own money I will go for the 'real' thing aka an acoustic...haha...such an ambition...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
You're welcome, and good luck! smile

Greg.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission