2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Do pianos really go on sale on holidays?

Like if I was planning to buy a Yamaha P155, Roland FP4 or FP7, should I just wait for the Christmas holidays?

And if there are sales, how much would they go down by?

Thanks!

M
M
I put a TON of research in before buying my grand piano several years back. What I found out is that piano dealers tend to use all the same tactics that car salesmen use.

I had my eye on a piano that suddenly had a jacked up "Regular price" slashed to a sales price that was the same as the regular price was before the "sale."

T
T
sure they do, but no need to wait that long black friday is the day. I bought mine for 30% less.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Christmas is a high sales volume time, summer is slow. I suspect that the discount that you get at either time will depend on the seller's cash position, with discounts being advertised during high sales periods but always available, if you're willing to negotiate.

Much depends on the dealer's situation in your market. Dealers with no competitors within easy driving distance are under less pressure to negotiate.

R
OP Offline
R
Err... So, in other words, MusiciansFriend or Music123 does give discounts on DPs over at least 15% off?

And one more question, is there Black Friday in Canada?.... (I should know because I live in Canada... eek but I don't....)

Thanks!

(I really don't want to be waiting a year for a sale which won't happen...)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I believe the "Black Friday" being referred to is

the Friday after Thanksgiving in USA.

This year Nov. 27th

Last edited by dannac; 10/30/09 04:42 PM.
L
L
I bought a casio px330 during labor day and got a 20% that wwbw had and everyone seemed to be matching that price so i got it from MF. Then i had some issue with the keys touching together and clicking as they did and returned the PX330 because of that. I asked if MF would give me the same price on the yamaha P155 that they had going, or matching the 20% off, during labor day which was the time i had made the initial purchase of the casio PX330. They said no that the sale was not on at this time. I pointed out that i've bought a ton of stuff from them over the years but if they couldn't give it to me for that price I'd just wait until another sale rolled around or get it from someone who would match that price, no big deal. So they said no, the closest they could get to the 20% off would still be about $90 more than that. What i did then was email a few of the other big online music places and ask them if they would go with that labor day 20% off deal and if not thanks anyway and no harm in asking. One of them accepted my offer. So maybe that would be an idea to try.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i don't know if that $200 off on Yamaha DP deal would still exist somewhere? i'm thinking about buying a P155, since i'm away from home for a job and have nothing to play with there now. i might wait till the Thanksgiving time for some kind of deal on it.

D
dsi Offline
D
music123.com has YAMAHAOFF coupon (and it still works) which gives you $200 off for P155...

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
dsi, are you sure? where is the coupon and does it indeed apply to P155? i went to their site, but didn't see that coupon.

M
M
I can confirm: they yamahaoff cupon actually works on ALL YAMAHA PIANOS. it scales, giving you more off if you pay more. hint: if youre getting a P140 (for 999.99) buy a yamaha mouthpiece or something to get your price over 1000 bucks, saving you about 120 dollars long term hahahaha

D
dsi Offline
D
The code is not listed anywhere on their site, and another site where I have found it said that it was expired, but I have just ordered P155 and the code worked for me!

K
K
I would really like to know the answer to this thread too because I am thinking of getting a P-155 soon, but I was wondering if I should get it now or during boxing day. And if there are sales on boxing day, how big of a difference would it make to the overall price?

R
OP Offline
R
That was definitely what I was asking. smile
I guess I'll just wait until after Christmas. If I haven't found a sale by then, I'll get it during January or February. grin

P.S Does anyone know how much tax I'll have to pay when bringing a P155 from Seattle to B.C? Or any websites concerning border taxes and etc.? Thanks!

K
K
Lol, looks like we're kind of on the same boat. The tax depends on what your tax rate is at B.C., I know here in Ontario it's like 14%? But that's not all, you have to pay a "duty fee", I have no idea how much that is though..

Well after I did some extra researching, I think the bad news is that there won't be any sales on items like the P-155. Boxing day sales are usually for refurbished items and P-155 is fairly new, so a "big" sale probably won't happen. Don't quote this though, I am still not 100% sure either. HOWEVER, there are sales like the $200 off for all YAMAHA products at stores like music123.com, which I found out at this site, so there MIGHT be still a glimpse of hope for some kind of sale.

I guess it comes down to if you want to play it now or not.. personally I would love to play it now, but I am looking for a place where they have financial plans that allow me to pay monthly... because I am a student, so money doesn't exactly come to me. Lol.. so if anybody know of such companies, please tell me. Or can this be planned a local music store? I'm not too keen about the whole local shop stuff with a financial plan because I usually think of scamming or that sort of stuff.. err.. that is why I usually buy my "big cash" electronics at big stores like Bestbuy where I can pay monthly for like 2-3years without interest.

Sorry if this reply is a bit long. :P

Edit:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029/2.html
Look at that thread, it'll give you ideas, especially the michaeljoo guy and how he kept fighting for a better deal. So good luck, hopefully Musiciansfriend.com will have a quick deal on P155 because atm, no sites do besides music123 but they don't ship to Canada. :S

Last edited by KeVan; 11/01/09 12:52 AM.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by KeVan
Lol, looks like we're kind of on the same boat. The tax depends on what your tax rate is at B.C., I know here in Ontario it's like 14%? But that's not all, you have to pay a "duty fee", I have no idea how much that is though..

Well after I did some extra researching, I think the bad news is that there won't be any sales on items like the P-155. Boxing day sales are usually for refurbished items and P-155 is fairly new, so a "big" sale probably won't happen. Don't quote this though, I am still not 100% sure either. HOWEVER, there are sales like the $200 off for all YAMAHA products at stores like music123.com, which I found out at this site, so there MIGHT be still a glimpse of hope for some kind of sale.

I guess it comes down to if you want to play it now or not.. personally I would love to play it now, but I am looking for a place where they have financial plans that allow me to pay monthly... because I am a student, so money doesn't exactly come to me. Lol.. so if anybody know of such companies, please tell me. Or can this be planned a local music store? I'm not too keen about the whole local shop stuff with a financial plan because I usually think of scamming or that sort of stuff.. err.. that is why I usually buy my "big cash" electronics at big stores like Bestbuy where I can pay monthly for like 2-3years without interest.

Sorry if this reply is a bit long. :P

Edit:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029/2.html
Look at that thread, it'll give you ideas, especially the michaeljoo guy and how he kept fighting for a better deal. So good luck, hopefully Musiciansfriend.com will have a quick deal on P155 because atm, no sites do besides music123 but they don't ship to Canada. :S

Errr... Yeah, but Musicians Friend's shipping cost to Vancouver is like $100 eek I guess the best bet is for me to buy a P155 from a local shop... Unless there's a somewhat impossible 40% off sale ... Lol.

L
L
It's almost like the posts in this thread are written in a vacuum with no acknowledgement of any of the previous information people have given. ----But $100 or not for the shipping by the way, I have a feeling MF does not 'import' yamahas period. Another thing i'm afraid may have happened is that the $200 YAMAHAOFF code may have finally expired at the stroke of midnite all saints day. But there is a clue in one of my previos posts here on how one may go about getting a deal at any given time.

K
K
^
So what did you end up doing in the end? Did you buy a piano? My main goal now is to find a site/shop which will "lease" me the piano, so I can pay monthly payments without interest.

And these American sites are so misleading at times because most people don't calculate our currency.. haha, so like the P155 in Canada is like what? $1500ish? Ugh.. +chair/fc3/stand, you'll be around $1700ish.. there goes my budget, haha. And that is why I need to find a shop that will divide that payment to at least a year or two.. Because people like me make slightly above minimum wage.. haha!

Last edited by KeVan; 11/01/09 03:15 PM.
L
L
who me? well yes i did. That's what i meant in my first post where i said i emailed a few online places and asked if they'd go with the labor day sales price on the p155 and one of them accepted my offer.

Funny though i almost went the full 45 days until i returned the casio px330 and even though at when i first had it i was having some buyer's remorse with things like the thud of the keys for one thing i ended up liking it quite a bit and had no intention of eventually returning it until i started getting a weird clicking. This turned out to be a couple of the keys which were touching and their sides rubbing together and causing the clicking. There was a slightly larger gap at the very center point of the keyboard which in turn made the F and G key to the right of center even closer together. On top of that there is a little bit of lateral wiggle of the keys room with the px330 in general which was just enough then to cause the touching and clicking. I checked on my old DGX300 and the keys were quite stable with really no tendency to move from side to side at all but on the casio you can really phsically move them a tad each way from side to side. If i were to look at another digital piano this is something i'd look at. ----so yea i did upgrade to the p155 which is what i originally had in mind before the price of the casio was too tempting to pass up....and i love it....the quality difference is apparent; no side 'wiggle' of the keys for one thing, and the hammered action is not quite as heavy which is nice because although i'd gotten used to the casio it was pretty heavy weighted action...and also not the thud of the casio when the keys come down; still a little noise but very slight compared to the wood block sound of the casio which you didn't really notice with headphones drowning it out but others in the house sure did comment on this as well.

I would even get a px130 as a backup travel piano considering the price if i was assured the keys didn't have this tendency to move laterally but i'm not so sure this would be something casio will address.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission