2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
I see that many of you record student performances. And it prompted me to buy a camcorder. I ordered the flip mino HD ("2nd generation")and it arrived today. Very simple to use!!! I intend to record each student performing at the December piano party--each recording just of one child, and then e-mail parents the recording of their own child. This camcorder was reviewed on PC world and got rated best in its class for low light recording.

Anyway, just exciting to find out that something that I thought might be too difficult has turned out to be simple. I've already made some recordings and I see how it all gets uploaded, stored etc.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Good for you! Let us know how it turns out.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks John! By the way I found both books you recommended at my local library (The Piano Shop on the Left Bank, and Beethoven's Hair). Started with Carhart's book first and thoroughly enjoying it!!!!

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Trouble. Turns out I can e-mail videos up to 25MB. A short video I made is 30MB and apparently I can't send it. I suppose I could try to burn video to CD for parents. Unless there is some way around the 25MB limit.

Ann ~ You could try to upload it to a free video site, like YouTube, and set the privacy/sharing to "private" ... then send the URL to the parent. Only you and they will be able to view it. Then you are not taking up space on your computer or theirs to store it. Hope this helps! smile

Private piano teacher in Lexington, Kentucky
Member MTNA, NGPT Board of Adjudicators
http://www.pianolex.com
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Hi Adrienne. I've never uploaded to youtube, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!!!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
YouTube has very clear instructions, Ann. You should have no problem. The only thing that surprised me is that sometimes it would take a very long time for the upload to occur, especially if I were doing it at night when there was a lot of internet traffic. Be patient and don't worry if it seems to be cranking endlessly for some minutes.

The other thing to keep in mind is that YouTube enforces a ten-minute limit on videos. Apparently there is some way to get around it if you get a special account, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

You can also compress the video a bit for email be reducing the frame rate, for instance. Video is a data hog, much more so than audio.

G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
I'd be tempted to burn the videos to DVD that way you get to retain as much quality of the recording as possible. You can always include a compressed PC version as an extra on the DVD for parents that would like to put it onto a PC, but I'd assume most would prefer to stick it in a DVD player to show their kids/family? Even if that DVD player happens to be their PC laugh

Windows movie maker can do simple DVDs and it's free. You can create a template for your recital then just swap in the appropriate recording for each student and burn to DVD. Or there's Sony Vegas if you really want to get into it smile

Downside is it may take a little longer. But it seems a bit of a waste to record in HD and then not take advantage of the quality, even if you're reducing it down to DVD levels.

Email isn't really suited for sending large files. The person you send it to may not have a lot of room in their inbox, their ISP may block large attachments (or any of the mailservers on the route)...

If you want to send over the internet, take a look at the various "send files" sites. Many are free up to a certain file size. Just find one that allows you to password protect the upload so that only the person you're sending the URL to can download it.

Last edited by Gary001; 11/02/09 05:02 PM.
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
I was able to upload a short video. Next I have to learn how to copy and paste!LOL! Basic, but I haven't done it. I'm thinking I would copy and paste the URL to send it to parents. I have a 12 year old, so when he gets home from school hopefully I can get help with this.

And another option would be to burn DVD's. Some tinkering I haven't done yet, but probably can manage.

Anybody know what URL stands for?

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
OK. I was able to figure out how to copy and paste. Just sent a URL of a video by e-mail. Small steps forward.

M
M
You might want to have a clause in your studio policy about pictures, audio, and video recording...most of my students families have no problem with it (some will let me use their videos to promote my studio on youtube), though one with a *teen* student did, and he was one who definitely needed to see how he looked while playing since I was having trouble with getting him to sit with good posture and play with a good sound.

Also you can reduce the resolution on the camcorder (setting from SP to LP) so that the video files are smaller.

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Thanks for the advice Meri.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission