2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 225 of 452 1 2 223 224 225 226 227 451 452
L
L
Two pieces a day, especially towards the end, will be tough. I went through the book pretty quick, in about 4 or 5 weeks, but the songs at the end are pretty hard. Like "takes-a-few-days-per-song" hard.

Casio WK-210
1963 Everett Studio (Style 14)
http://www.soundclick.com/lukeeelman
M
M
Originally Posted by chris84
Ok, I may have jumped ahead a little with my somehow unrealistic deadline for completing book 1 smile.
Its just that I feel like I should have taken piano lessons a long long time ago and I'm so jealous on those who started when they were pretty young and by my age they were already concert pianists.

I'm no genius, but I do plan to practice up to 3 hours a day (can't afford 6 yet) and if I do 2 pieces a day I'll be done with this book in 11 days (I counted 22 pieces left).

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 59, and I'm having a wonderful time working my way through Alfred's at a pace that's comfortable.
I suppose 2 pieces a day is possible, but remember that you need to give your brain plenty of time to rest and process what it's learning. I started "The Entertainer" a week ago, and it's finally beginning to come together. Last night I practiced just 3 measures of it at least 25 times, and then I stopped. I need that "off" time for my brain to sort out what it learned and to come back refreshed. I'm on "Amazing Grace" right now, and, counting that, hve 8 pieces left. I'm figuring that will take me at least 3-4 weeks.
Write back, though, and let us know what your progress is. I'd love to hear.

I'm getting there--note by note.
C
C
Originally Posted by Michael Steen

I don't know how old you are...

I'm 26.

I suppose 2 pieces a day is possible, but remember that you need to give your brain plenty of time to rest and process what it's learning.

That's what I'm afraid of, cluttering my brain with too much information at a time.

Write back, though, and let us know what your progress is. I'd love to hear.

I'll keep you posted.

Masterwork Classics Level 4
-------------------------------------
Feurich 115 Upright
C
C
Yesterday I was pretty tired when I got home, I didn't have enough mental strength to start learning a new piece so all I did was practice some Hanon exercises and revise some old pieces.
But today I was in such a great shape that I managed to bring 'Cockles and mussels' and 'Got those blues' to a very decent level, almost close to polishing them.

Masterwork Classics Level 4
-------------------------------------
Feurich 115 Upright
F
F

Finished "Lulaby" and started "Rock It Away". "Lulaby" needs practice but I can play it, it is the hardest piece until now imo. "Rock It Away" seems easier, without fingering changes.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

M
M
"Amazing Grace" sounds beautiful now--except for that danged triplet in about measure 18 where there's a D#(2), E(3), and G(5) chord followed by a D(2) and C(1). Not only is it a bear to play, but it sounds awful!
I've compromised by eliminating the D# and just playing the E and G chord followed by the D and C.
So far this is the trickiest thing I've encountered in the book. Has anyone else met and conquered this passage?
I am currently without a teacher, so I wonder if any of you have any advice from your own teachers who've helped you slay this beast.
Thanks.

F
F
Here are some links taken from this thread of "Amazing Grace" recordings

Angelojf
http://www.box.net/shared/ysqmzrul60

Mark
http://www.box.net/shared/kayh4h3kss

Strings & Wood
http://www.box.net/shared/1evyg15ako

GracieCat - Recital #19
http://abf.make247.co.uk/recital_files/Recital_19/30.%20GracieCat%20-%20Amazing%20Grace.mp3

you also have the videos of PianoNoobAlex
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=PianoNoobAlexMan&p=r

I hope this can help you.

Last edited by fliper; 05/31/11 03:32 AM. Reason: correct wrong link

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Flipper,
Just an FYI... the link you posted was to my "The Entertainer", here is the link to "Amazing Grace" which was probably my favorite of the book one series. It is nice to see all of the people following this thread.

Amazing Grace

F
F

Thanks for the right link, Strings & Wood

C
C
Whats the most difficult piece to play on here?

M
M
"Amazing Grace" sounds beautiful now--except for that danged triplet in about measure 18 where there's a D#(2), E(3), and G(5) trill followed by a D(2) and C(1). Not only is it a bear to play, but it sounds awful!

This has got to be the first time I've ever quoted myself, but I thought I'd offer an update. I've given so many people on this forum the wise and sage advice to practice the "fracture" until it disappears that I thought I might as well listen to myself for once.
So I sat and played that 3 note trill over and over and etc. All of a sudden it began to click. By slightly rolling my hand and pulling it back a little, I was able to get that trill in measure 18 to actually sound like something. I then added the two following notes in the triplet and finally added the left hand.
It's not perfect yet, of course, but it sounds, I believe, the way it should.
So there you have living proof (if it was needed). Find the parts that give you the MOST difficulty, isolate them, and practice them into the ground. It works.

M
M
Originally Posted by clayts
Whats the most difficult piece to play on here?

I noticed that you posted this exact same question on the Alfred's Basic All in One Course Book #3 thread. Why? They're pretty vastly different books.

The obvious and flippant answer is "the one you can't play yet." But lots of people seem to have hit a brick wall with "Blow the Man Down" and "Can Can." Those introduce a syncopated rhythm that can seem insurmountably difficult until all of a sudden it's not anymore. Almost everyone who has "gotten" those pieces says that the breakthrough came suddenly and unexpectedly.

B
B
I have just hit Blow the Man Down and am in the process of banging my head against the wall. It is very difficult but I am sure it will come to me one of these days.

L
L
Originally Posted by BillC1
I have just hit Blow the Man Down and am in the process of banging my head against the wall. It is very difficult but I am sure it will come to me one of these days.

As lots of people in this thread have said, go really slow. I also would play the right hand while playing the full chord in the left hand to a steady quarter note beat. After I got that feel I tried to add the broken chords.

M
M
Originally Posted by BillC1

Bill, the thing that got me over the hump with BTMD was to play the notes EXACTLY as written but with absolutely no regard to tempo or musicality. That is, the first thing I had to conquer was playing a left hand note or chord BETWEEN two right hand notes.
Then play the left hand several times in strict time (using a metronome helps).
Finally, and slowly, try to bring the two together. It may take a number of tries, but all of a sudden it will click, and you'll be rockin' away like piano player in a sea shanty. It's actually a lot of fun to play once it comes together.
Keep us posted!

Is this the book you guys are talking about?
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

Chuck
L
L
Originally Posted by Chuck Sinclair

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

That or the all in one book.

Originally Posted by Lefty Chev
Originally Posted by Chuck Sinclair

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

That or the all in one book.

Cool i have the one i posted i also have
Learn & Master

Chuck
S
S
I just finished Amazing Grace at this weeks lesson. While i was passed i am going to continue to work a little on the trills. Similar to what you posted Michael, my teacher suggested keeping a little stiffness in the fingers and to use a little roll. Seems to be working.

So i'll continue to work on it a little but i'm now moving on to Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

[Linked Image]
S
S
I just finished Amazing Grace at this weeks lesson. While i was passed i am going to continue to work a little on the trills. Similar to what you posted Michael, my teacher suggested keeping a little stiffness in the fingers and to use a little roll. Seems to be working.

So i'll continue to work on it a little but i'm now moving on to Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

[Linked Image]
Page 225 of 452 1 2 223 224 225 226 227 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission