2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1299960 11/05/09 01:29 PM
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Does anyone know if this is published and available anywhere at all?
It is the piano solo piece that is part of Ellington's Queen Suite.

Thanks.

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense."
- Gertrude Stein
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by toyboy
Does anyone know if this is published and available anywhere at all?
It is the piano solo piece that is part of Ellington's Queen Suite.

Thanks.

It seems to be available in this volume from sheetmusicplus.com :

Single Petal

Regards

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
L
go to www.sheetmusicdirect.com i went every were looking for it also. Marcus Roberts has a great version of this song on itunes but so do alot of other jazz and classical pianist. his version just had me on the floor. hey while you are at the itunes website check out Chucho Valdes tribute to Bill evans. The name of the piece is Bill Evans, if you like Single Petals of a Rose you will love Chucho's tribute to Bill.

toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for that Bruce, but I wonder if that is in anyway a watered down version. It says that the book contains "transcriptions". Though the original is for piano, so hard to understand what that means.

Luke, thanks for that link but I doubt that is really the full score. It looks like it is just chording.

I wonder if the Ellington estate just has alot of things tied up unpublished. I came across a CD by Jean Yves Thibaudet doing Ellington and his version was credited to Jed Distler, a composer and critic. (I tried contacting him for it, but got no response) But I'm thinking that if Thibaudet had to go to Distler for a version wouldn't that mean it's unpublished?

Sometimes I think the perfect music software would be something you could feed in an MP3 and it comes out as a perfectly rendered piece of sheet music. Probably is such a thing already, but I'd wonder as to the accuracy.

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense."
- Gertrude Stein
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Thanks for that Bruce, but I wonder if that is in anyway a watered down version. It says that the book contains "transcriptions". Though the original is for piano, so hard to understand what that means.
[...]

The description of the volume says : "Note-for-Note Keyboard Transcriptions. Softcover. 226 pages. Published by Hal Leonard (HL.311731).[...]
Authentic transcriptions of 23 classics by 23 jazz masters such as Duke Ellington...."

If they are indeed "authentic transcriptions" of something that Ellington himself (and others) may never have written out in complete notation, they are probably as close as you'll get to what Ellington played.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
not to belabor the point, but do you think he really didn't write things down? his music always was quite composed and actually i found a Library of Congress archive listing all the various pieces of sheet music. this piece was among them.

- Gertrude Stein
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
not to belabor the point, but do you think he really didn't write things down? his music always was quite composed and actually i found a Library of Congress archive listing all the various pieces of sheet music. this piece was among them.

I can't answer that question, but I have heard and read that many jazz pianist-composers did not always write everything out, note by note. What else might an "authentic transcription" be?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
toyboy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
yeah, i guess i AM belaboring the point. smile i understand your point now. might as well flip for that book even though I dont want any of the other stuff, it looks like that's the only thing i'm going to find. thanks for finding that. i missed finding it myself when i searched their website.

- Gertrude Stein

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission