Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1301572 - 11/08/09 11:54 AM How can a Piano have a "bad scale"?
V10BlackBox Offline

Loc: San Diego
So I am looking at a few older pianos and searching through the site for reviews. I keep coming across a term or idea that I cannot wrap my head around. People keep saying the "scale of that model is bad". Or the new models have a "more accurate scale".

What is this in reference to? Bad design, string length is it tuned to something other then 440.

The reason that I ask is have been looking at some upright 40-52' pianos 1880-1940 that I like. They don't sound like a grand, and well they don't even sound like a good modern upright but I like them for some reason. All have been current players.

Just so you know I have only played digitals at the house up to this point. These older ones sound almost a little mushy and subdued I kind of like it. Price points between say 2000-3000$.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1301579 - 11/08/09 12:11 PM Re: How can a Piano have a "bad scale"? [Re: V10BlackBox]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
If you are looking at old upright, scale is not really an issue.
In either case, the scale that technicians refer to is associated with the layout of the bridge, length and diameter of wires, number and location of wound strings, type of windings and the resulting measurable perameters such as wire frequency, tension, inharmonisity, impedence etc. If it is designed in an educated thoughtful way and tries to match the design of the soundboard assembly the piano will sound better, be easier to tune and more stable.
Bad designs are when manufacturers do not pay much attention to these things.

#1301589 - 11/08/09 12:25 PM Re: How can a Piano have a "bad scale"? [Re: Gene Nelson]
V10BlackBox Offline

Great that explains it perfectly. So its a function of the total design and not a failure in a singular feature. One can assumes that a upright has less of these issues just due to the reduced complexity and string length due to the size of the soundboard. I could see how in a grand this could be a rather complex problem, but it begs the question how the heck do you rebuild something like that when there are so many variables.

For me it means that I might have found a piano in my price range it is a ~1880 Steinway upright. I like the tone and the case is well not great but the internals have checked out and it was restrung ~10 years back its been stable for a long time and still being played.

#1301629 - 11/08/09 02:06 PM Re: How can a Piano have a "bad scale"? [Re: V10BlackBox]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
In the past, knowledge about scale design was not so highly developed. Manufacturers sometimes just tried to get something that was good enough to sell.

When auditoning a piano, it's tone, touch, and appearance - to your ears, your fingers, and your eyes. You've found a piano that you like. If the internals were checked by someone who's knowledgable, enjoy.

BTW I know what you mean about the "mushy." Digitals tend to have a less complex tone, which could also be characterized as "clean." The contrast between a DP's tone and that of an older acoustic can be startling. Glad you like the acoustic's tone and think that you'll like it even more as you continue play it.

#1301631 - 11/08/09 02:08 PM Re: How can a Piano have a "bad scale"? [Re: V10BlackBox]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Uprights have exactly the same issues. Most old scales and many new ones are pretty bad, with the tension varying wildly from register to register.

#1301681 - 11/08/09 03:58 PM Re: How can a Piano have a "bad scale"? [Re: BDB]
V10BlackBox Offline

Thanks for all the heads up I found one that I like put a deposit going to have it delivered on Wednesday is a 1920 Steinway DuoArt 52. The case had been refinished, new hammers, new key tops, new casters, new felt, all original ebony. I think it was a player that was converted at some point. Guy who owns it had ~8 grand Steinway grands in his repair shop being restored this. Pulled the whole case its really nice.

Everything else is perfect. The soundboard is great no dents or dings, the rear supports are what look like 6 6x6 ceder posts. But most importantly it just sounds AMAZING like nothing I have ever heard. Its warm and soft and still has a upper end that hits hard. The bass is down a little from what I expected.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
53 minutes 27 seconds ago
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, anamnesis, 36251, 31 invisible), 1445 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327524 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission