Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
119 registered (Anne'sson, Anita Potter, arod7, ando, Artur Gajewski, anamnesis, 32 invisible), 1422 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#703006 - 11/02/08 09:21 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i actually tried the test on my PF500, which does have string resonance, but it's not always working unless i hit the key a little harder (with slight sound) when sustain pedal is still down. actually, the sostenuto pedal on mine works as on a grand anyway.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#703007 - 11/03/08 12:25 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Hey, all! I mainly play my S&S B, but I have a CLP230 as well, and it passes the sostenuto test. ;\)

#703008 - 11/03/08 01:29 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
So here's a stupid question:

If one were to get a Kawai CA51 that does not do this properly, but hook up the piano to Garritan or Ivory or Pianoteq, etc. would you then have it through the software or is it a signalling & reproduction issue?

#703009 - 11/03/08 05:08 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
richyfourtytwo Offline

Casio px 120 also fails.

#703010 - 11/03/08 08:05 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
theJourney,

at least the combination Roland HP-203 + Galaxy II Steinway does not work.

#703011 - 11/03/08 10:10 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by theJourney:
So here's a stupid question:

If one were to get a Kawai CA51 that does not do this properly, but hook up the piano to Garritan or Ivory or Pianoteq, etc. would you then have it through the software or is it a signalling & reproduction issue? [/b]
If would be a function of the software.

#703012 - 11/04/08 12:10 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
My Casio PX 320 failed the test

that's decided it, its got to go \:\)

Lee

#703013 - 11/06/08 12:05 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
 Quote:
Originally posted by CTPianotech:
When I get back to the shop on Monday, I'll check out the pRP 800 we have. I wonder if it makes a difference if one has the optional 3-pedals, vs the standard footswitch sustain pedal that they come standard with.

I have noticed the actions on the pRP 700 and 800's feel much better than the 'console' RP700. The action on the console RP800 though is good though. [/b]
Just got off the phone with Rich from Shawn's Piano, and the pRP800 failed this test.

#703014 - 11/15/08 09:31 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
GTBannah Offline

Loc: GuyBarTola
O.K., but after all of this, how practical is this in a real solo performance situation? Do we have the time to do the "second depression" thing in a real situation?

#703015 - 11/16/08 01:28 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GTBannah:
O.K., but after all of this, how practical is this in a real solo performance situation? Do we have the time to do the "second depression" thing in a real situation? [/b]
I use it in Rachmaninoff's Prelude in B minor, in Grieg's Concerto in A minor depending on what mood I'm in, and I use it in some of my own music. The main reason I developed it was because my DP doesn't support sostenuto. But you're right, so far I've only used it in slower passages.

Come to think of it though, this technique could be used (and perhaps with greater ease than sostenuto) in a situation where you play a fast run and then want to sustain only certain notes from that run in the next phrase.

#703016 - 11/16/08 01:33 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
maxipol Offline

Loc: Argentina
 Quote:
Update: Yamaha tech says that DP's with sympathetic resonance will not get this mechanism right. But earlier DP's without sympathetic resonance will get it right. (Not that they shouldn't be able to get it right with sympathetic resonance. Or one would think. [Roll Eyes] )
 Quote:
I own a Yamaha YPD-140 (without string resonance), which is a very new model released in 2008, and unfortunately didnĀ“t pass the test.

#703017 - 11/18/08 06:08 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
Geof175 Offline

Loc: Be
Doesn't work on Roland RD700GX.

#703018 - 11/18/08 09:07 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geof175:
Doesn't work on Roland RD700GX. [/b]
Yeah, doesn't work on Yamaha's flagship portable CP300 either. But at least it supports a full 3 pedals. The CP33 only has a single aux pedal input. It amazes me how at this late stage of the digital piano game they still cheap out on some of the most basic features.

#1301559 - 11/08/09 11:34 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: TimR]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
It seems to me like pianoteq doesn't do this right either :(, I use this technique in the Pathetique sonata first mov. after Andras Schiff told about it in his lecture, its a usefull technique.

Edited by Victor25 (11/08/09 11:38 AM)

#1301597 - 11/08/09 12:50 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: Victor25]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
I just tried this using Pianoteq 3.5 and both my CP-33 and my PF-500 it it did work.

#1301605 - 11/08/09 01:13 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: AlphaTerminus]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
It is my very strong suspicion that Pianoteq will only produce what the keyboard will transmit in terms of signal.

In other words, if your keyboard doesn't "pass the test" outlined by jscomposer, and thus can't transmit the signal to Pianoteq, then Pianoteq can't produce the effect.

It relies on what is transmitted by the keyboard.

My Roland KR7 (superseded by the KR107), fails the test; but on the other hand it transmits continuous damper control values from zero to 127 - not many keyboards can do this. And I find this feature quite useful, particularly at the end of a song where one would slowly drop the dampers (on an acoustic).

Glenn

#1301615 - 11/08/09 01:35 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: jscomposer]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: jscomposer
On a real piano, you can get a sostenuto effect without the sostenuto pedal. And on a select few digital pianos, you can accomplish this. It works like this:

Depress the sustain pedal and strike a note or chord. Lift off the keys but hold the sustain pedal. The notes will sustain, of course, and all digital pianos get this right. Now, while still depressing the sustain pedal, depress the same keys but slowly enough so that no new notes are sounded. While holding down the notes, take your foot off the sustain pedal.

On a real piano the notes still sustain, minus the sympathetic resonance of the other strings which are now dampened. But on most digital pianos, the notes are cut off as soon as you lift off the sustain pedal. A few digital pianos get it right, including my ol' faithful Yamaha P80, the P120, and the PF1000. It amazes and disappoints me that even some of the most expensive and elaborate flagship digital pianos fail this simple mechanism.
I'm trying to understand where exactly is the sostenuto effect with this. You hold ALL the damper with the pedal, then you sustain the dampers of the notes you hold down, and release the sustain. On a real piano this seems... bizzare since you still have to keep your hand on the notes, in order to sustain them. The idea of the sostenuto is to hold the selected notes, but without having your hands on them... This is NOT the case.

In your example you are just hitting the notes, with pedal, then take the pedal off practially (either if you lift and put the down the hands again).

Don't have my PX110 at home anymore, so can't do any tests, but my hunch is that it has to do with some MIDI signal... :-/ But will have to run some tests in my studio for further research purposes...

#1301622 - 11/08/09 01:54 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: Nikolas]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Korg SP200 fails the test.

Edit:It passes when used with Pianoteq though!

Edited by BazC (11/08/09 02:19 PM)

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1301642 - 11/08/09 02:31 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: BazC]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
Yeah BazC, same with my PF500 and CP33. Pianoteq3.5 just queries whether the keys are pushed down and if they are behaves appropriately. I imagine this would work with any midi controller and Pianoteq 3.5.

#1301657 - 11/08/09 03:09 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: TimR]
SdJ Offline

Loc: Caribbean
Gentlemen,
My venerable 12 years old Oberheim Minigrand piano moduled passed this test easyly. Sad it is no longer produced, if it dies, I will mourn for a year.

#1301659 - 11/08/09 03:15 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: BazC]
Glenn NK Offline

Loc: Victoria BC
Originally Posted By: BazC
Korg SP200 fails the test.

Edit:It passes when used with Pianoteq though!

Baz:

I can't test my DP with Pianoteq because my soundcard died yesterday. Will check if and when it's fixed (needs some new capacitors).

Glenn

PS - how are you liking 3.5?

#1301671 - 11/08/09 03:40 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: Glenn NK]
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted By: Glenn NK
PS - how are you liking 3.5?

Loving it! Richer, more defined, fantastic! smile Sorry about the card frown

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1301916 - 11/09/09 03:33 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: BazC]
Victor25 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
If your midi sends out:

note on note off
velocity
damper + how much (if you have a damper pedal with half-pedaling)

then the software should take care of the rest, right?

#1305255 - 11/14/09 03:27 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: Victor25]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Horray, my cheap P-85 Yamaha plastic imitation passes the test. smile

Edited by Huygens (11/14/09 03:28 AM)

#1305256 - 11/14/09 03:45 AM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: Huygens]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
P60 passes. Still can't stand the thing though.

#1305421 - 11/14/09 01:41 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: keyboardklutz]
Maelstrom Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
kawai EP3 failed

#1307378 - 11/17/09 06:38 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: Maelstrom]
PlatonicSolid Offline

Loc: CT-USA
Kurzweil 2600xs failed, but I have a hard time using the word "failed" as I would opt for sympathetic resonance over a rather awkward method of achieving sostenuto for which I have a pedal. Also, I doesn't matter how lightly I press the keys, the notes are always sounded - granted at a greatly reduced volume.

#1307942 - 11/18/09 05:40 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: jscomposer]
PlatonicSolid Offline

Loc: CT-USA
Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong.

"Wrong" is subjective. "Different" would be accurate.

On a real piano...

"real piano" is subjective. "Acoustic piano" would be accurate.

A digital piano is no less "real" than an acoustic. If you want all the features of an acoustic piano, then buy an acoustic piano. I can list a thousand features and benefits of digital pianos that no acoustic could ever hope to achieve (or should I say they would "fail the test"), but what's the point? They are very different instruments.

If your stated method of achieving the sostenuto effect is that important to you, I dare say you have failed to purchase the right instrument.

People would be much better served by exploiting the attributes of the instruments at hand.

Bottom line, Acoustic or Digital, if it can get you "in-the-zone", then it's a worthy instrument.

#1309228 - 11/20/09 01:32 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: PlatonicSolid]
UpNorth Offline

If I understand the test, then my Yamaha P155 passed it nicely.

#1982630 - 11/04/12 01:50 PM Re: Something nearly ALL digital pianos get wrong. [Re: jscomposer]
WippenJackSpring Offline

Loc: Idaho, U.S.A.
I've spoken to techs at Kawai and Yamaha about this, and while they're equally surprised, they don't seem to care much.

On a real piano, you can get a sostenuto effect without the sostenuto pedal. And on a select few digital pianos, you can accomplish this. It works like this:

Depress the sustain pedal and strike a note or chord. Lift off the keys but hold the sustain pedal. The notes will sustain, of course, and all digital pianos get this right. Now, while still depressing the sustain pedal, depress the same keys but slowly enough so that no new notes are sounded. While holding down the notes, take your foot off the sustain pedal.

On a real piano the notes still sustain, minus the sympathetic resonance of the other strings which are now dampened. But on most digital pianos, the notes are cut off as soon as you lift off the sustain pedal. A few digital pianos get it right, including my ol' faithful Yamaha P80, the P120, and the PF1000. It amazes and disappoints me that even some of the most expensive and elaborate flagship digital pianos fail this simple mechanism.

Now, you might ask, "What's the point? Just use the sostenuto pedal!" Well, mine doesn't have one, and I don't feel like spending money on a keyboard that has all sorts of bells and whistles I don't need, and that still fails on this feature. Plus, this technique is more flexible than using the sostenuto pedal. (Though I do wish my P80 had a sostenuto function, because I could use that as well! frown )

Try it on yours and let me know what happens! wink

Thanks jscomposer, if you are still out there, for bringing up this point.

I realize this is a dated thread, but, IMO, this is still a relevant concern/topic.

My Kawai MP10, with software version "V1.04", is not capable of doing this - and yes, I am disappointed.

On 10/24/12, Kawai James posted a heads-up notice for all Kawai MP10 owners for the minor update v1.05 - and thank you James for doing that!

I have not updated my MP10 yet because I need to get a USB memory device. However, just based on the description of the v1.05 minor update that James gave, it (v1.05) will not remedy this problem.

The reason I am "disappointed", and the reason I call this a "problem", is that this may be what is causing a problem I have notice that occurs occasionally on my Kawai MP10. And that is, occasionally some combination of actuating the sustain pedal and keying, the "sound" disappears completely. Another way of stating it is that there is just no sound - zip. And of course on an acoustic piano, at least from my experiences, this does not happen.

Another thing that I have now noticed about the functionality of the sustatin pedal software/algorithm on my Kawai MP10, is as follows. Without depressing the sustain pedal, when I softly press down and hold a lower key (maybe a bass C) (without activating its sampled sounds), and then "play" another key (maybe a C one octave higher) it activates a sample to simulate a slight resonance for the lower C key, which I am still holding down. Now, the infidelity occurs when I do the same thing, except I first hold the sustain pedal down before I do the above. In this scenario the cross string resonance does not occur. Which again is not how an acoustic piano would work.

Now I do fully realize that the Kawai MP10 is not an acoustic Kawai Grand. Yet they (Kawai) have done such a great job, IMO, of modeling so many aspects (tactile, auditory, timbre, playability) of the acoustic and digitals keyboards it represents (key action, sampling, tactile feel of the keys, damper resonace, let off action, several preset temperments, & stretch tuning - to name only a few). So I'm at a loss to understand why they either overlooked both of these needed "sustain" features, or just chose not to include them.

Now this problem with the sustain algorithm may, or may not be the cause of the problem I have experienced with my MP10 (as described above). However, given the many features that Kawai has sucessfully modeled in the MP10, I would be quite surprised if both of these "sustain algorithm blackholes" could not be remedied with a software patch.

Especially since apparently other DP manufactures can at least sucessfully implement the first one, and have chosen to include this feature in their modeling of acoustics which use the sustain feature.

Sincerely,
WJS

Edited by WippenJackSpring (11/04/12 09:19 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
11/27/14 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
11/27/14 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
11/27/14 09:36 AM
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159393 Topics
2341416 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission