2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1301441 11/08/09 07:45 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I have a five year old Yamaha CLP 170 digital piano and I think it might be reaching the end of its life. Some keys are sticking when pressed and I had an electrical fault the other day. I’ve had someone out to look at the keys sticking, and they only stick when pressed to the side. He said he’d never seen this before, but said there was a lot of grease on the keys inside. He cleaned the excess grease off and this seemed to do the trick.

However, about a week later, they started doing it again. I went through the same process and he cleaned all keys this time. Again, it worked for a week but they stated doing it again a week or so later. So I started hinting to my mum and dad that I might need (want) a new piano. I have been hinting at this for a while, but never really seriously said I want a new one.

Anyway, this morning, I was a bit annoyed so I said to my mum that the keys were annoying me and went upstairs. Then, my mum went to my dad (who has already said he won’t buy a new one because he can’t afford it and that I’m going to University in three years so there’s no point) and said maybe they should, saying things like, “if we can’t afford it, why did you buy a £1500 new computer the other day. “ This must have pushed my dad over the edge because he came up to me and said “if you mention that piano once more, I’ll get rid of it and you’ll never play the piano again”.

I’m probably in the wrong, but this made me sad, especially as it’s not like I just want and new one. Sorry about the long post, but I needed to share this with someone. I wish I had my own money to spend.

BTW if anyone knows why my piano is doing this it will solve the problem

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
Chopin4life #1301466 11/08/09 08:59 AM
S
S
That's interesting. My Yamaha digital piano has two keys that require more force to depress when they're pressed from the side. I wonder if it's the same problem.

spatial #1301475 11/08/09 09:26 AM
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One option is to replace the sticky keys. I have a very old Clavinova and it also developed several sticky keys. I got a copy of the Service Manual which explains how to strip it down and take the keyboard to pieces. I've had to do this twice, first time about 3 years ago and last time two weeks ago. Each time its taken a couple of hours. But the keys I replaced have never stuck again. I get the keys from Yamaha UK and they are very very cheap (£1.99 or so each). So far its only black ones that stick, which are the same, whereas obviously there's several different white ones.

A more expensive option would be to replace the whole keybed if it is trully knackered. This would cost 100s but be cheaper than a new digital.

My only surprise in your sad tale, is that the tech didn't replace the keys when the unit was stripped down?

I posted a series of pictures here at the time but there's a couple from that set here

Chopin4life #1301477 11/08/09 09:31 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Chopin4life
[...] I’m probably in the wrong, but this made me sad, especially as it’s not like I just want and new one. Sorry about the long post, but I needed to share this with someone. I wish I had my own money to spend.

You're understandably sad, and I sympathize. Without knowing anything about your parents, my best advice is to try to be patient. The incident you describe happened this very morning, after all, so let things calm down. Dad's reaction today may well not be his last word on the matter.

Hang in there, and thanks for sharing.

Steven

p.s. Sorry I have nothing to suggest to cure your digital!

EJR #1301479 11/08/09 09:38 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by EJR
One option is to replace the sticky keys. I have a very old Clavinova and it also developed several sticky keys. I got a copy of the Service Manual which explains how to strip it down and take the keyboard to pieces. I've had to do this twice, first time about 3 years ago and last time two weeks ago. Each time its taken a couple of hours. But the keys I replaced have never stuck again. I get the keys from Yamaha UK and they are very very cheap (£1.99 or so each). So far its only black ones that stick, which are the same, whereas obviously there's several different white ones.

A more expensive option would be to replace the whole keybed if it is trully knackered. This would cost 100s but be cheaper than a new digital.

I dont think I would trust myself to change the keys. For me, it only seems to be the white ones that stick.

Originally Posted by EJR
My only surprise in your sad tale, is that the tech didn't replace the keys when the unit was stripped down?

I posted a series of pictures here at the time but there's a couple from that set here

Well I assume that would be the next step. He said he would contact Yamaha if it happened again, which it has. Thanks for the link.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
sotto voce #1301481 11/08/09 09:44 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by sotto voce
[...] I’m probably in the wrong, but this made me sad, especially as it’s not like I just want and new one. Sorry about the long post, but I needed to share this with someone. I wish I had my own money to spend.

You're understandably sad, and I sympathize. Without knowing anything about your parents, my best advice is to try to be patient. The incident you describe happened this very morning, after all, so let things calm down. Dad's reaction today may well not be his last word on the matter.

Hang in there, and thanks for sharing.

Steven

p.s. Sorry I have nothing to suggest to cure your digital!

Thanks for the sympathy. My parents are generally very nice, but, as always, they do things that any child wouldn't like, even if it is for the better. I suppose its for the best. They have had a lot of work on the house lately, and I should be grateful for what I have. It's not like its just a bag of sweets I'm asking for.

I'm pretty sure he won't come around though. If he says no straight away, he won't be budged. He's pretty firm that way.

Venables & Son 152
Chopin4life #1301485 11/08/09 09:51 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Maybe you can start hinting around for a weighted keyboard (a gig type "piano" that you could take to university with you. They might actually go with that when the old one goes belly up (as it sounds like it's doing) as it's practical and would cost much less than a full size (piano shaped) digital piano.

(As a parent who's been in the same situation I'd say you hit a nerve with that remark about the computer. You made your dad feel guilty and when people start feeling guilty they have to justify themselves so they get even more stubborn. Don't mention it again. You've made your point. Give it and your mum time to work.)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Chopin4life #1301491 11/08/09 10:11 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are you old enough to work after school, and do you get good grades? If you are taking lessons, are you doing well and do your parents know that? If possibly you could present yourself as being responsible, willing to do your part and try to make some kind of deal where you are saving up and they help you out, your parents might see things differently. Having good grades and showing yourself serious and responsible for your future usually is a factor with parents (I am one - my kids are grown). Would something like this work?

-Frycek #1301492 11/08/09 10:11 AM
If you ask on the digital piano forum people there may be more familiar with the problem and possible solutions.

EJR #1301493 11/08/09 10:12 AM
A
A
... I wish I had my own money to spend.

Originally Posted by EJR
One option is to replace the sticky keys....

Yeh, and another option is to get an after-school part time job, and then buy your own DP.

Self-pity stinks. Stop whining about your parents to a bunch of strangers and get serious.

Amant #1301517 11/08/09 11:13 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Amant

Yeh, and another option is to get an after-school part time job, and then buy your own DP.

Self-pity stinks. Stop whining about your parents to a bunch of strangers and get serious.

Yes I completely agree, it is quite pathetic of me, and I appologise. I won't lie, I was cross and wanted somewhere to vent my frustration, and get someone on my side. Very childish. Yes, maybe I should consider a part time job.

On the plus side, maybe I'll be able to figure out what's wrong with my current DP by this topic.

Venables & Son 152
Amant #1301521 11/08/09 11:18 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amant
And this post is helpful because... ?

Really, if you don't know anything about the person you're talking to, maybe you shouldn't speak like that... Just saying here...

To the OP: You are 14-16 years old and after 3 years you'll go away in a university! There are a number of different options:

1. Be patient until you can buy yourself a DP or a normal piano
2. Lease one in your parents credit card and pay it off little by little.
3. Put further force to get a new DP/piano!
4. Work more, get more money, get a new DP/Piano
5. Fix the old DP.

It's all a mater of priorities. As a parent of two, (rather young, but anyhow) I have to admit that sometimes my no sticks there, not because of a very strong opinion, but because I try to make sure they learn how to listen to me... I don't know if it makes much sense... but... Kids won't understand financial issues too good and any kind of argument "We can buy this, so why not the other..." is rather lame, I'm afraid.

The "sensible" advice would be to (other than not taking advice from complete strangers off the internet! :D) to try and show to your parents how big your problem is. Perform for them. Show them that you WANT to play the piano but CAN'T. Offer alternatives. Do a research on what you could buy next. Offer an idea on how to repay them (for example mention you will pay them off when you get your student loan, but be really serious...). And so on. Make a strong case of yourself.

If your parents simply, for whatever reason, won't listen, just hang on. Find alternatives (your teachers, a university, a college, some conservatory, or music school, or just be patient) and work things on your own. Obstacles, when surpassed, make you stronger and it's something that people need, in order to "become themselves" ultimately!

Best of luck mate...

Nikolas #1301531 11/08/09 11:29 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Can I just say that I didn't say anything about the computer, that was my mum.

I think the main problem is that I know, and they know, that I am probably not going to pursue a musical career, just as a serious hobby. I can, therefore, understand their reluctance in making such a large investment.

As I stated before, I probably should have thought twice about making this thread. I don't want people to think I'm a spoilt brat (well maybe I am).

Thanks for the advise.

Venables & Son 152
Chopin4life #1301547 11/08/09 12:06 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, no, I wasn't (trying to) imply that you mentioned that. I know your mom did, but it still remains a very weak 'arguement' for you.

Since you are not making a career out of music, things might be tougher, but maybe it still is worth having a better DP/piano. I don't think you're a spoilt brat or anything, just venting out... wink I do it sometimes as well! laugh

Piano buying is an invenstment which won't loose tons of value (as opposed to a computer which after a couple of years is worth 10% of the original value). So it's considered a rather safe invensment, especially if it involved the advancement of a teenager... wink

Chopin4life #1301578 11/08/09 01:11 PM
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As I stated before, I probably should have thought twice about making this thread. I don't want people to think I'm a spoilt brat (well maybe I am).

hahah! I wouldn't be worried about that, you've shown yourself to be very considerate.

I have a similar story of parents not quite getting it, after some years of playing on a digital I was feeling the need for the nuance of a grand. Willing to buy it myself, only needed a room to put it in but the parents were firmly against it. Frankly I'm only half over it and there's still a part of me that thinks it wouldn't have been too much for them to move some things around in one of their many rooms. I was getting weekly reminders in my lessons of the deficiency of practicing on a digital. To them it may seem like a costly whim, but us musicians have a different perspective when it comes to instruments.

I think in the case of parents, we can be used to them going to lengths for us and so it feels like a shock when they put their foot down on what seems like a reasonable request. All the same, you've got the right perspective - remembering all the great things they already have done.

(For what it's worth, my solution was to put the same money to university where they have an excellent music program and practice rooms where I can acquaint myself with the grands. My patience has extended to decades before I expect to have a house to put a grand in.)

Nikolas #1301582 11/08/09 01:14 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Your Dad may have just been expressing his frustration that he can't afford to give you everything you want even though he would like to. Your request might have made him feel inadequate. (Yeah, parents sometimes feel that way).

Find a good time to talk to your parents about how important this is to you. Never use the word "you". Start every thought with "I feel". That will keep the conversation from becoming adversarial and your dad from becoming defensive. I'd check ebay for a used DP and I'd think about the part time job/good grades/ bringing it to the university ideas. Maybe your dad would consider a loan? Digital pianos aren't hugely expensive.

Best regards,

Deborah
Chopin4life #1301699 11/08/09 05:35 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I probably should have thought twice about making this thread.
On the other hand, it's probably better to vent to a bunch of people on a forum than to say something in the heat of the moment to your mum or dad that you afterwards wish you hadn't. And I thought your response to that unhelpful "don't whine" post showed maturity (not sure I could have been so restrained smile ).
There has been some good advice here - hope some of it works for you, and best of luck.

Du holde Kunst...
Gooddog #1301712 11/08/09 05:53 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
Your Dad may have just been expressing his frustration that he can't afford to give you everything you want even though he would like to. Your request might have made him feel inadequate. (Yeah, parents sometimes feel that way).
[...]

...and yet the proper response when dealing with what I take for a mature-beyond-his-years teenager, would be to explain that while we'd love to buy one for you, our finances don't allow such a purchase, rather than being downright insulting. Of course, he may also have been miffed that the request wasn't directly made to him.

I can't say anything about the computer, but I do know that it's not uncommon for people to spend all their money on the latest and greatest electronics (HDTV's, and all that) and have little left over for a piano.

I hope it works out for you, Chopin4life! Dad was likely pretty mad about the computer comment and might reconsider. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Horowitzian #1301726 11/08/09 06:35 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks everyone. We made up, as I was sure we would, but I'll be sure not to mention it again for a while, so things don't boil over again.

Venables & Son 152
Chopin4life #1301754 11/08/09 08:17 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm pretty sure he won't come around though. If he says no straight away, he won't be budged. He's pretty firm that way.

That is a problem you must learn to work around.

As 14 year-old Nick Twisp says in "Youth In Revolt", if you want something from your parents, you must phrase it in such a way as to avoid at all costs the dreaded, final, parental NO.

Not sure you have to be as big a sociopath as Nick is to get what you want, though. wink

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission