Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1302340 - 11/09/09 07:58 PM Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838)
Avantgardenabi Offline

Hi, everyone,

I also thought this post may be quite interesting to read, and would like to write out here. smile

A while ago I came across a picture of a beautiful Knabe & Gaehle piano owned by Francis Scott Key.

Before I thought Scott Key was a composer/musician who created the "The Star-Spangled Banner," but I was surprised to find that he was a lawyer who only wrote the lyrics. Here is his portrait (from Wikipedia):

Coincidently, he wrote the lyrics (according to sources) after the Battle of Baltimore, the same city where the Knabes were produced.

The piano itself, according to a description, was made in 1838, which makes it one of the earliest pianos created by William Knabe. Here is a picture:

It's quite beautiful (the craftmanship is stunning..) and is located in the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Tennessee. Here is a link to more pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78554788@N00/2285558197/in/photostream/

The music rack sadly seems to be broken into two, but you can still sense the beauty of the piano. I wonder if it is still playable, and would like to see it in person someday.

Thank you for reading, and feel free to leave comments about this square piano. smile

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1302449 - 11/09/09 11:20 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Avantgardenabi]
Terry5758 Offline

Loc: Vero Beach,Florida
One of the most beautiful square pianos i have ever seen. Thanks Avant.

Terry

#1302700 - 11/10/09 12:19 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Terry5758]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Thanks for your posting, Avant!

When I teach patriotic music I have titled the program: "Star Spangled Piano Studio". I will add this information to the collection of patriotic teaching materials. I'd not come across the piano owned by FSK before. The portrait, and the piano from 170 years ago. will certainly add to the story of the "Star Spangled Banner".

#1302742 - 11/10/09 01:39 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Avantgardenabi]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Avantgardenabi

Before I thought Scott Key was a composer/musician who created the "The Star-Spangled Banner," but I was surprised to find that he was a lawyer who only wrote the lyrics.

Yes, it's true the melody of the Star Spangled Banner is in fact the English drinking song, To Anacreon in Heaven." The melody is almost designed to make one's voice crack while trying to sing it so I don't know that FSK would even have wanted to lay claim to the melody. I do wonder what the inspiration was to use that particular melody.

As for the piano the woodwork is gorgeous, but square pianos have many issues which tend to prevent them from being effective musical instruments. That's why you never see them in playable condition.

#1302786 - 11/10/09 02:39 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Steve Chandler]
Avantgardenabi Offline

Thanks you all for the comments. smile

I rather wish this beautiful Knabe piano was restored like this example in the Met. Museum of Art.

(By James Campbell)

Although the piano is a square, I think it still can be quite musical. The piano's sound may resemble the one featured in this video. It's quite interesting to hear Clementi in a different way:

I wouldn't mind having an early Knabe square if it's free; I would love to explore its action.

#1302920 - 11/10/09 07:04 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Avantgardenabi]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Avante,

I'm surprized by the lightness of the sound and the ease you have in playing the keyboard which does not seem very deep to the touch. I admire your quiet hands bringing us the brightness of Clementi so effortlessly. I believe you played without pedaling. How did this experience feel to you?

Is the chair in the Museum picture related to the piano in design? Does it happen to be the "bench" to the piano do you think? I think it's sad that most older pianos do not have matching benches.

#1303364 - 11/11/09 03:17 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Betty Patnude]
Avantgardenabi Offline

I wish I can get a credit for the playing (and really be grateful of your praises), but the person in the video is sadly not me. Still, you can contact this pianist through Youtube. smile

I am not sure about the chair; it seems the chair does match the piano in style.

It is quite sad that older pianos do not have matching stools or benches; I wonder what happened to them, including the one that belonged to the featured Knabe.

#1303445 - 11/11/09 05:02 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Avantgardenabi]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
He looks kind of DEPRESSED, doesn't he.....
Maybe because he found out that people learned he only wrote the lyrics. smile

#1303449 - 11/11/09 05:04 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Avantgardenabi]
Mark_C Offline

But seriously folks smile thanks for the post. This is indeed very interesting.
Plus I learned that he didn't write the music! Although actually, I think I "sort of" knew that ......I had read that the tune was an old "drinking song" or something like that, but I guess I assumed that he ADAPTED the music from that.

#1303452 - 11/11/09 05:06 PM Re: Francis Scott Key's Knabe Piano (1838) [Re: Steve Chandler]
Mark_C Offline

....and there is the answer. As I said, I had read that it was an old drinking song, but figured that he "did something" with it.

Pretty funny that it was DESIGNED to make one's voice crack. As we all know, it often does just that. It's one of the hardest common tunes to sing, maybe THE hardest.
With the possible exception of "Happy Birthday." smile
(How much do we ever hear people actually get that OCTAVE......)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (ABC Vermonter, 36251, alans, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1342 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296251 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission