2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 123 of 187 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well you make me feel better about falling behind too. I do it, then I get frustrated and work on something else. But fortunately, things do get better the next time around.

The main interesting difference in the Mehldau way is that it sounds swingy with the syncopation. While the others sound like classical music. My teacher was pointing out that it's because the accents were on the downbeat. There's more to this than is obvious I guess.

It's not my goal to play 7/8 or some other odd meter. I'm mostly interested in the syncopation that occurs when you play in-between the notes.

Like when you play a Jazz Waltz, you play an implied 4/4 over the 3/4 and you get that syncopation feel that Chick Corea would use for example. I was trying to intellectualize all this and I can't. All I realize is that I was playing somewhere in between the beats.

Am I making sense?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I think one could intellectualize and say that playing some 4/4 rhythm over 3/4 is like using 12/4 or 24/8. But that doesn't explain the sound because it actually varies, like swing.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Here are a couple of very late night versions of Autumn Leaves and All The Things You Are.

I think because I was trying to play so quietly, the rhythm is a bit off. I'll have to give it a go during the daylight hours when I am fully functioning.

All The Things You Are

Autumn Leaves

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
All,

I don't know if you've seen this Bill Evans interview on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfHtPwF8wY&feature=related

Marie MacPartland has a bunch more for sell, many seem to be on emusic. I find this really enlightening. The Bill Evans interview is like him giving you a lesson. Much more in depth than other typical interviews.

For now, this whole CD is on youtube... so enjoy

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Inlanding
Here are a couple of very late night versions of Autumn Leaves and All The Things You Are.

I think because I was trying to play so quietly, the rhythm is a bit off. I'll have to give it a go during the daylight hours when I am fully functioning.

All The Things You Are

Autumn Leaves

Glen

Hey Glen, welcome. Fantastic to see someone new. You have a nice touch and nice voicings. That was a very enjoyable ballad style. You have a pretty nice base to start from here. Sounds like you've been playing awhile.

Count out your bars though since the length of each measure seems to keep changing. You get that licked and I'll be listening to you at some bar somewhere smile Nice swing too on AL. thumb

Tell us about yourself. How long have you been playing? Self-Taught?

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
All,

I don't know if you've seen this Bill Evans interview on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfHtPwF8wY&feature=related

Marie MacPartland has a bunch more for sell, many seem to be on emusic. I find this really enlightening. The Bill Evans interview is like him giving you a lesson. Much more in depth than other typical interviews.

For now, this whole CD is on youtube... so enjoy

The quality of that sound is fantastic. What year was this? Often you hear Evans play and you don't appreciate his tone because of the bad acoustics. I think I heard this years ago on NPR but very low quality. What a find!

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Hi Jazzwee, and all...

You are right, sometimes I get wrapped up in the sound and seem to add or subtract extra beats per measure...Musicians that play together don't suffer from this affliction as much, but I am aware of it and sometimes I actually keep good time and make the changes when I am supposed to!

I've always been around a piano since childhood, took ten months of jazz lessons back in high school, and only recently began studying classical music with a VERY patient Russian Conservatory trained teacher for the past year.

I guess you could say I am mostly self-taught, but I've received some good direction from my past teacher and can hear what notes go well with what notes - this is where I need to keep better time!

I aspire to the likes of Art Tatum, Ralph Sutton, Oscar Peterson, and Willie the Lion Smith, among all the others - they all have something to offer to any player, ie., ideas, syncopations, harmonies, etc.

Here are a couple more tunes, one an old standard, the other my creation. Hope you like these I recorded a couple of days ago...lots more to come, if you are interested.

Two Minutes of Your Time

That's All

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That's fantastic Glen. Maybe you can share in the discussion. You certainly have very good tone so the training shows!

If there's anything you are working please share or pass along advice as well.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I find myself working on all sorts of pieces - here is one that is another constant work-in-progress. I am working also on a number of classical pieces (quite time-consuming, to say the least) smile

Polkadots and Moonbeams

Body and Soul

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

What year was this? Often you hear Evans play and you don't appreciate his tone because of the bad acoustics. I think I heard this years ago on NPR but very low quality. What a find!

seems like this was 1978.

Check this out:
http://www.emusic.com/artist/Marian-McPartland-MP3-Download/10558721.html

There are a lot more of great pianists there. The sound quality is great, and the quality of the interview is much higher than the usual "how do you improvise" kinda stuff.
I don't know if you got to the over the bar line stuff and reharm section. It's deep and beautifully demonstrated.

The videos continue btw, part 2, 3, 4 etc...

Gonna cost me a few month's worth of downloads on emusic I think smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Glen,

sweet recordings. You have a great ear of harmony !

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Two Minutes - I like your solo lines Glen! And a sweet touch! And barely any wandering on the barline on that one smile Looks like when you're aware of it, your time is quite good.

That's All - Nice balanced touch there, man. And I love that swing. And your lines sound really original phrasing wise. Now this one you occasionally wandered on the bar line, especially near the end.

Polka Dots - Nice ballad rendition!

Body and Soul - Love this tune. One of favorites and some interesting voicings there.

Looks to me like you're close to ready for prime time thumb

It sounds like you've been playing piano for a long time.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Jazzwee~~ This is great feedback - thank you so very much! There is so much to be gained from listening to others' playing and taking that feedback to heart! So glad to have found everyone here!

Knotty - Glad you enjoyed the tunes. Thank you for your kind words smile

Here are a few more in the meantime - all a work-in-progress. Such fun!

Not So Blues

Man I Love (choppy)

Points East

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
One thing about your playing Glen, even though it's a slow style, they all sound like jazz. From voicings to the solo lines thumb You've been hard at work!

I don't as much of a collection of slower tunes myself since most of my practice has been more uptempo. But there's only so much time smile

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Jazzwee,
Thanks a bunch, but there is something about having a recording device that I find inhibiting. I'll get over it eventually.

I'll put up some pieces soon that are more uptempo, more to your liking.

Count Basie was not known for the number of notes he played, but the spaces between them...One of my favorite pianists, Nat King Cole never really played fast, but played great figures.

Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson, on the other hand...whoa!!! Cecil Taylor - double whoa!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Didn't say uptempo was more to my liking smile I'm the one deficient at the slower tempos. It's basically what I have to practice from lessons, trying to build up technique and good time. So it's just natural that for technical development it'll be more uptempo.

You'll encounter a poster here by the name of Gyro. He doesn't believe in metronomes. On the opposite side, my teacher is super-focused on my metronome use. Playing slow and evenly is pretty hard actually, especially with a metronome. You have all those spaces to get lost in.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, I have a question for you. On the Herbie AL, what was he playing when he went outside? I don't know what key it's in but just listening to the first part it sounds like complete substitution to me.

Did you try to figure out what he was doing? Maybe he substituted a major chord a tritone away or something like that from the major chords?

My Jazz Blog

D
D
hey jazzwee,

not really sure what herbie was playing on AL. i played along with it once and tried to get a few of his phrases. seems like he's doing a lot of chromatic stuff. and at times he is definitely implying different harmony with both his lines and his left hand. there are some really cool superimpositions in there.

i'm going to work with again and see if i can take more from it.

btw, is there a way to slow down a youtube video to half speed? what's the best way to do that?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The only way I know to do it is to record the speaker output to create a WAV file and then read it in transcribe. Kind of complicated. I don't have that software anymore.

Assuming he's playing it in G/Em, I noticed he went outside at GMaj7 and CMaj7 and F#m7b5 at the beginning there. I've been studying his phrasing style and wasn't really concerned about the changes, but it was interesting what he did.

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Hi Jazzwee,

Funny how our teachers influence us...My teacher keeps suggesting to me, "if you can't play it correctly slowly, how can you play it correctly faster?".

A bit of a conundrum...

Here is an experimental piece I improvised because of your influence on me to pick up the pace (a darn good idea!) Long Way 'round

Thanks, Jazzwee!

More tunes located here from last night - hope you like 'em.
Nov 10 practice session

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Page 123 of 187 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission