Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
117 registered (accordeur, aesop, ando, 44 invisible), 1519 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1322374 - 12/10/09 02:23 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: LisztAddict]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: LisztAddict
I expected that the winner could be ANYONE from the field of 58.

Well, you were right about that too. smile

You must have understood the process and the possibilities better than I did.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1322416 - 12/10/09 04:16 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Heidi Basarab would have my vote. I didn't see them all but I looked at all the ones that had high ratings. There is lots of good stuff there in those videos and they are enjoyable to watch.

I wonder what made them go with Khoo. Look at 4:29-4:35. Ech. You kind of get the feeling the performance is on the verge of that kind of thing the whole way through.

Maybe the judges have sat through so many agonizing childrens' recitals in their lives that they've started to like that tense feeling of waiting for a mistake to happen.

Baldwin Model R; Hardman 5'9" grand; Rieger-Kloss vertical

Jazz, pop and classical

#1322479 - 12/10/09 08:41 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: charleslang]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Like I said in a previous post, this for me is not really a piano contest. It's crazy for me to post a video of myself on youtube. But it's also a bit of fun to be in the pack and find a few familiar faces. laugh

#1322606 - 12/10/09 11:57 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: charleslang]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: charleslang
Heidi Basarab would have my vote.

She's a good friend and I thought she was a top contender.
Quote:
.....Maybe the judges have sat through so many agonizing childrens' recitals in their lives that they've started to like that tense feeling of waiting for a mistake to happen.

The judges were "the public." The result is based on online voting.

Regarding your reactions to the stuff, I think you're a good observer.

#1322699 - 12/10/09 02:05 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
Vica Offline

Loc: Switzerland
"It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes."

#1322734 - 12/10/09 02:46 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Vica]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I was one of the 'public' but I never got around to voting. Frankly, I didn't have the time to wade through sixty videos and think seriously about them. I suppose I could have just picked a few (my friends and acquaintances) but that's not my style. More on this issue just below.

I did just watch the winning video and I was quite surprised. A nice performance, but that's about it. I suppose I have spent too much time watching teens play with more riveting intensity and dynamic drive. But this is precisely the problem of having the public vote. It's a popularity contest where popularity has many dimensions. Indeed, all panels of judges can have problems, but widening the franchise in a case like this does not necessarily produce better results.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1322744 - 12/10/09 02:59 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Am I missing something here? Why Cliburn.org still says the winner will be announced on December 9th?

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#1322790 - 12/10/09 04:10 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Hakki]
cscl Offline

Loc: Suburban Boston
I was also looking for the info on the winner and can't find it anywhere. Where did you all hear the news? I've only seen it in this thread at Piano World.

#1322825 - 12/10/09 05:03 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Hakki]
Piano*Dad Offline

Originally Posted By: Hakki
Am I missing something here? Why Cliburn.org still says the winner will be announced on December 9th?

Well, that was yesterday.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1322826 - 12/10/09 05:03 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: LisztAddict]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
A dark horse is an understatement. She is playing piano well but with an intermediate level repertoire. I though the two gentlemen who played four Chopin Etudes or the Liszt Campanella demonstrated more agility. For a World Wide competition you would think that a slightly more advanced repertoire would have been presented.

#1322879 - 12/10/09 06:19 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Vica Offline

Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
She is playing piano well but with an intermediate level repertoire.

Just vice versa - nothing wrong with repertoire, but quite "intermediate" level of playing.

#1322918 - 12/10/09 07:12 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Vica]
Piano*Dad Offline

I think that would be my view as well.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1322991 - 12/10/09 09:49 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Vica]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Vica

I HOPED SO.

The "Rules" included quite an odd rule: The organization had the discretion to change the rules.
They were free to do whatever they wanted.

I thought the main thing this meant was that they would make sure the winner was worthy, by simply ignoring the votes of an unworthy would-be winner.

#1322994 - 12/10/09 09:52 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Hakki]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Hakki

You didn't get an e-mail announcing the winner? It was sent out last night, a little before 9 P.M. eastern time.

The "winner" is a woman named ChooHooi Khoo.

BTW.......I don't think I'm doing a very good job concealing my feelings. ha

#1322998 - 12/10/09 09:55 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: cscl]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: cscl
I was also looking for the info on the winner and can't find it anywhere. Where did you all hear the news? I've only seen it in this thread at Piano World.

For anybody who hasn't been able to see the news release, here it is:

>>VAN CLIBURN FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES WINNER OF SECOND YOUTUBE CONTEST FOR AMATEUR PIANISTS

RECORD-BREAKING NUMBER OF ONLINE PARTICIPANTS

FORT WORTH, TEXAS, December 9, 2009--ChooHooi Khoo, also known as Janice, has won the Cliburn's second YouTube Contest for Amateur Pianists by popular vote. Voting concluded on November 24, assuring Ms. Khoo a berth in the sixth International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs, to be held in May 2011 in Fort Worth. Watch her performance of Schubert Impromptu, Op. 90, No. 4.

Currently a resident of Bakersfield, California, Ms. Khoo was born in Malaysia. She began her piano studies at the age of six with Thien Joe Goh. In 1989, she completed eighth grade piano at the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music (ABRSM) with high distinction, and subsequently received the Datuk I.K. Cheah Memorial Prize for her achievement. In 1991, ChooHooi Khoo immigrated to the United States with her family, and eventually received her Master of Physical Therapy degree from Loma Linda University in California. She continued to play the piano and sing at church, but music became an avocation while she raised two sons and pursued her medical career. Ms. Khoo is currently a full-time physical therapist and practice manager for a rheumatology medical office.

Describing her recent return to piano studies, Ms. Khoo remarked: "As my children got older, I encouraged them to learn music and my older son started taking piano lessons from Bonnie Farrer, who is the wife of John Farrer, the conductor of the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra. I hadn't heard of the Van Cliburn [International Piano] Competition until this summer when Mrs. Farrer returned from the competition and gave my son a program featuring the finalists...This reignited my passion for playing piano and our family was glued to the computer monitor watching the featured competitors on www.cliburn.tv. We even attended the first concert of the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra 2009-2010 season, featuring the 2009 co-winner of the Nancy Lee and Perry R. Bass Gold Medal, Haochen Zhang!"

Ms. Khoo discovered the Cliburn's YouTube Contest only two weeks before the submission deadline. "With the encouragement of my husband and children, I decided to compete, even though I only had two weeks to pick a piece, to practice, to record, and to submit the video. During this time, my family and friends have been very supportive, although most of us thought that I was a long-shot, including myself. Even before the winner was announced, my husband ordered me a Steinway grand piano to replace my upright as a consolation prize for losing the competition and to encourage me to continue playing. Having won, I'm very excited about this opportunity to go to Fort Worth in 2011 and I want to use this God-given opportunity to practice hard (on my new piano) and thank those who supported me. I also hope to encourage my children through example, to practice hard and follow their dreams."<<

#1322999 - 12/10/09 09:56 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
Mark_C Online   content

P.S. Not to be a sourpuss smile but speaking as a medical person, I think they erred in using the phrase "her medical career."

#1323001 - 12/10/09 10:00 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Mark_C Online   content

I have a feeling you might be inclined to agree with my above persnickety post. ha

P.S. I don't think there was any issue about her choice of repertoire. While indeed in itself it's not a highly impressive choice, I think a beautiful performance of the piece would arguably be a very worth winner.

#1323003 - 12/10/09 10:01 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Vica]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
She is playing piano well but with an intermediate level repertoire.

Just vice versa - nothing wrong with repertoire, but quite "intermediate" level of playing.

I think you have it exactly right.

#1323113 - 12/11/09 01:55 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

No I didn't get an e-mail, except the regular Cliburn e-notes mail which was sent on December 8th.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#1323120 - 12/11/09 02:06 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Hakki]
Mark_C Online   content

Huh......I don't understand why not. I imagine they tried to send it to everyone on their e-mail list, which would certainly have included all the contestants.

#1323275 - 12/11/09 11:18 AM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
Vica Offline

Originally Posted By: MarkCannon

I HOPED SO.

The "Rules" included quite an odd rule: The organization had the discretion to change the rules.
They were free to do whatever they wanted.

CF was not going to spend it's capital (i.e. an odd rule) in this case! smile Wait for the real event!

Originally Posted By: MarkCannon

I thought the main thing this meant was that they would make sure the winner was worthy, by simply ignoring the votes of an unworthy would-be winner.

Life is not so simple... it's simpler!
It's all about marketing!
Single user could vote multiple times by clearing up "cookies" in his browser... yawn
I'm not saying it was a fraud, but technically it was possible.

#1323354 - 12/11/09 01:46 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I did not get an e-mail as well, finally contacted Bob Ekelund to find out what was going on. Am trying to contact them to se why this happened.

#1323369 - 12/11/09 02:10 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Vica]
Mark_C Online   content

....Single user could vote multiple times by clearing up "cookies" in his browser... yawn
I'm not saying it was a fraud, but technically it was possible.

As I said on the other thread, now you tell me!! ha

I thought that in order to get a ballot, you had to give an e-mail address. Do you mean that you didn't?

P.S. As I mentioned in my post on the other thread, I would hope that I wouldn't have used/abused that.

#1323998 - 12/12/09 01:08 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
Piano*Dad Offline

I think I had to give an email address, though I wouldn't swear to this.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1324040 - 12/12/09 02:05 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Piano*Dad]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
I think I had to give an email address, though I wouldn't swear to this.

Yes -- as far as I know, you did. There were two methods of voting that I was aware of, and they both seemed to require giving an e-mail, and the system "knew" if you had already done it.

I figured that the people who talked about repetitive voting meant that you could fool the system into not knowing.

#1340928 - 01/04/10 08:31 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Piano*Dad]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

I did just watch the winning video and I was quite surprised. A nice performance, but that's about it.

I agree. Technically she seemed very good but I got very little emotionally from her playing.

#2315138 - 08/13/14 06:55 PM Re: Cliburn YouTube Contest: Who else here is in it? [Re: Mark_C]
SiFi Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
OK......today was the day, and the result just came out.
The winner was someone that I think we'd have to consider a "dark horse," ChooHooi Khoo. I have my opinions and I'm going to try to keep them to myself smile because obviously I can't be objective, not just because I didn't "win," which I didn't expect to, but more so because I had ideas about who might win and I was very wrong. But I would be very interested in what other people's reactions might be. All the videos are still online.....

Cliburn amateur YouTube videos

.....and probably will be for some time.

Hers is over here:

Winner's video

Mark, I hadn't realized you had participated in this. Just listened to your Scriabin (I'm assuming that's you!) - terrific. Now I understand how it is that you speak with such authority about things pianistic in general and Cliburn in particular!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Concertmaster tech needed
by daniokeeper
11/22/14 08:50 PM
Fair Price for Roland HP-508
by MarkF786
11/22/14 07:54 PM
Yamaha P22 tuning instability
by beethoven986
11/22/14 07:25 PM
Intro and a question re: Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
by OnlyLivingBoy
11/22/14 05:09 PM
Are there usually dp sales in holiday in the US
by linghu224
11/22/14 04:37 PM
Forum Stats
77008 Members
42 Forums
159272 Topics
2339756 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission