2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
88knees Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all, I have the opportunity to buy one of two pianos, quite different from each other.

The first is a beautiful one-owner 1943 console, kept in tune and in good shape. However, it is 65 years old

The second is a 46" Baldwin Hamilton in good condition (two owners, both individuals, not institutions). I don't know the age but the serial # is 185177.

Both of these is available for $800. Which one should I take? I'm feeling a bit bruised by the whole piano shopping experience. Last month I turned down a 6 year old Yamaha P22 for $1100 and I've been kicking myself ever since. I just got nervous b/c so many people were telling me that the Yamaha sound is too bright and would get worse with age but honestly, it sounded fine to me. So now I feel these are probably not as much of a steal but they do both seem to be sound.

Is there an obvious answer? Is the Steinway too old? Is the Baldwin a great deal? Or are they about equal?

Is the

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Hamilton is a 1959. I personally like the Hamiltons from that era. $800 sounds a bit high to me, but not out of the question depending on what condition the piano is in. I'm sure someone with more experience could give you more detailed advice. The fact that it wasn't an institutional piano helps - chances are it wasn't used as much in a home as it would have been in a school or church, for example. The Hamiltons can be bright, especially the ones of that age, but I personally like the way they sound when they're on the bright side. Some other pianos that I've heard described as "bright" I really didn't care for.

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There's a huge difference between a six-year-old piano and a 65-year-old one. You might consider renting a new-ish piano for a while until you get a better feel for what pianos you like.

Generally I recommend against consoles; the smaller action parts don't perform as well as a full-sized action (such as repetition). I have a Steinway console from that era (family piano), and it has brass action parts which could be problematic in the future. It also has lots of lead in the keys (which are also shorter). It's beautifully made, though; current condition is very important (in any piano).

Hamilton 243s are standard school pianos, but again, anything 50 years old could be problematic.

Trust your own instincts about a piano's sound. You're the one that's going to live with it. I see many broad characterizations here, about how all Yamaha's sound and so forth (some of them are motorcycles!).

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission