Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1305550 - 11/14/09 07:11 PM Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination
Auggiedoggy Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Hi folks,

After trying to do things on my own I have decided to go with a program. I think I need the structure in my training rather than my haphazard approach. blush I chose the Alfred series. I am 3/4 of the way through book one and book two arrived in the mail last week.

In addition to that I like learn other songs/pieces as supplementary training. I chose "Oriel Window" composed by Enya. It is a fairly simple instrumental BUT the difficulty is in the left hand/right hand coordination. The chords are arpeggiated throughout the piece.

My question: Is the standard practice to learn each hand separately then combine the two or learn to play both hands together at a slow pace?

Your help is much appreciated. smile

Rob

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1305554 - 11/14/09 07:23 PM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: Auggiedoggy]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Some adopt the hands separate approach exclusively, and it seems to help them. Others avoid it because "you don't play the piece with separate hands, so why learn it that way." Try both approaches and see what works best for you.

For me, this is like most either/or questions in piano: a false choice. I often work on some things hands separate (my teacher often recommends it too), but I don't do it exclusively. I've learned from personal experience when it's helpful to me.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1305557 - 11/14/09 07:27 PM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: packa]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Like packa, I think there's no "standard". You might try, when working out the hands together, to particularly notice when both hands play a note at the same time - a kind of rhythmic landmark, if you will.

The slow speed to start, so you're taking care with the placement of your fingers, is right on, I think.

Cathy

#1305588 - 11/14/09 07:55 PM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: jotur]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Which tool would you use - a screwdriver or a hammer? Depends on whether you are putting in a screw or a nail.

When you are working on a fugue you have to use hands separate. Other types of pieces you can start with hands together.

Another thought is that if you want to sight read, then you should really spend a lot of time learning pieces that you are capable of playing hands together from the start. Learning pieces that are at your level hands together from the start is one of the best ways to improve your sight reading. This does take a lot of patience because you are not jumping into playing Moonlight sonata or Chopin preludes your first year playing.

For the most part, I start on pieces hands together. (Except a lot of Bach!) Then I break it down hands separate as I find spots that need it.

Rich

#1305946 - 11/15/09 10:04 AM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I almost always start out hands separate, because it helps me to work out fingerings while also keeping my hand(s) relaxed. I find that when I put my hands together before I've worked out nice relaxed hands-separate parts, I tend to unconsciously let my hands tense up because of the challenge of trying to coordinate both hands at once.

YMMV...

neglected piano blog

#1306100 - 11/15/09 02:10 PM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: tangleweeds]
Auggiedoggy Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
I've been doing a little bit of both myself. I guess I'll just see which method works for me over the long haul.

I must say it is tempting to jump ahead and try a piece that is probably too much for my current experience level. I am going to stick with the Alfred books though and see how I progress.

Thanks for your help guys! smile

Rob

#1306135 - 11/15/09 03:07 PM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: Auggiedoggy]
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
I usually start out hands separate, but it depends on the piece.

Coordinating both hands is the thing I find most difficult, and working that way it has helped me so far.

#1306571 - 11/16/09 12:13 PM Re: Beginner's Question: Left/Right hand coordination [Re: Auggiedoggy]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Auggiedoggy
I've been doing a little bit of both myself. I guess I'll just see which method works for me over the long haul.

Like me, you may find that both methods work over the long haul in different situations. One of the most important things I have learned from my teachers is a growing collection of practice techniques of which hands-separate practice is only one.

There is nothing more frustrating to me than trying to improve a difficult passage by just playing it over and over while hoping it gets better. What I have been taught are ways to analyze problems and then select particular practice techniques to work on the elements of the problems until I can put things back together properly. This can be hands separate, hands together but with some simplification, experimenting with alternate fingerings or note redistributions, modified rhythms, exaggerated dynamics, very slow tempo work, etc, etc. The more tricks you have, the more ways you can attack your practice challenges.
Estonia L168 #1718

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ando, Akshay, 33 invisible), 1358 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153574 Topics
2250729 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
1 minute 20 seconds ago
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
35 minutes 30 seconds ago
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
Today at 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission