2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
I don't play piano. My wife used to play many years ago. Our daughter, age 14 plays flute, sings and would like to play piano. Our twin sons age 10 will be starting piano in the next two months or so. I may even give it a try. Problem is we need a piano and do have a relatively small budget ($2,000-3,000). Hard to buy when you don't know who to trust or exactly what to look for. For instance, the local Yamaha dealer was pushing the entry level Cable-Nelson ($3,000) brand which is a Chinese made Yamaha. Then there was the Hamilton ($3,800) which was explained to me to be an entry level Baldwin (also made in China). Then the was the Fischer and Sons ($2,000) which appears to be an entry level "house brand" made for the Sherman and Clay piano chain. I am not partial to any particular brand or name. We just need a solid affordable piano. Frankly, I have no idea what is inside these units and what to look for to distinguish one from the other. Interestingly, the Fischer, which is the cheapest, has a spruce soundboard (which is supposed to be better yes?), while the other two have laminated boards. It's enough to drive a guy crazy, especially when you add the digital pianos into the mix. Problem with the digital is my wife hates the way they look and the only remotely affordable one with what looks like a nice cabinet is a Suzuki sold at Costco of all places. It only has a 1 year warranty compared to the Yamaha Clavinovas which have 5 years which to me sends a strong message which company believes it makes a solid product. All of the acoustics have a 10 year warranty.

So what we are presently left with is a confusing mess that has me thinking maybe a pair of saxophones for the boys would be easier (and cheaper).

As such, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

R
OP Offline
R
Sorry, meant to post this in the proper forum.

Don't buy digital. They don't have longevity as do pianos, nor do they have the tone of real strings and a soundboard. That's my opinion.

As far as what type of soundboard to buy, I don't put too much emphasis on that. Overall tone of the piano - good sustain, sweet sound - tuning stability, regulation stability are all more important. Good dealer prep is key to getting off to a good start on a new piano.

I've seen good Yamaha-built Chinese pianos, and Yamaha is a good company that backs up its products. On the used market, a Japanese-built piano (Yamaha U1 for instance), can be a better buy if you find one in good condition. The dealer probably doesn't have much in the used category to choose from, but find out if there are any decent-grade used pianos in the price range you're in. American-made Baldwin, Sohmer, Walters, Astin-Weight, can also be good choices. Not all Baldwins are good, so be careful. Consult a technician if you select from the used market.

There are so many variables to take into account. One of the best measures is to simply sit down and play different pianos. Someone you know who is a decent player might be able to assist you.

To me, 'tone' is the deciding factor - given everything else equal - but not everyone is sensitive to the tone of a piano. Take the time to listen - really listen - to the different pianos. So many of the cheaper pianos have a thin, harsh tone with poor sustain. In my case, passion for a particular piano begins with a rich, full, mellow tone with good sustain.

The 'touch' is also important. A good player will know when one piano is more responsive than another. The Chinese pianos can be surprisingly decent in this regard.

Last edited by Randy Karasik; 11/08/09 10:58 AM.

Registered Piano Technician
Serving Colorado Since 1978
randy@karasikpiano.com
www.karasikpiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would suggest buying The Piano Book (Buying & Owning a New or Used Piano) by Larry Fine. It has a wealth of information on pianos that will help guide you. Its written and laid out in an easy to follow and understand format. It also helps cut through the hype/gimmickry that is sometimes associated with piano sales.

Take your time learning how each piano sounds and responds to touch, especially very light playing. Bear in mind that where the piano ends up in your home will likely change its sound compared to a dealer showroom. If you have a lot of carpeting and other sound absorbing objects, you might opt for one that projects its sound better than similarly priced competitors.

With Digital Pianos, you will very quickly approach the same cost as an entry level acoustic if you are looking for a quality instrument with a good name, sound and touch. I own a cheaper one (< $1000) along side of my acoustics just so I can practice with headphones on and also have something portable to take with me.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
you can click this link http://www.pianobuyer.com/ and read the Larry Fine New Buying Guide online. The Yamaha Cable Nelson are decent pianos backed by Yamaha

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the info and assistance. We have decided to go with a digital (this will be our first piano and not necessarily our last). Now for the cabinet battle...

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If you buy a digital, buy one with the most accurate touch you can afford. With midi and USB, the sounds can be uprgraded at any point in time.

My wife and I just bought a mattress today. Far easier than buying a piano.....

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
R
OP Offline
R
Well we decided on on a Yamaha CLP 330. Local dealer made us a good deal with free delivery. Thank you all for the comments and assistance.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission