Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1307204 - 11/17/09 12:54 PM My teacher's piano feel so different from my own
T'sMom Offline

I had a lesson today, actually only my second one since resuming piano after a few decades. My piano is a Baldwin spinet. His is a Steinway grand. I really prepared and I wasn't that nervous, but still found his piano much more difficult to play. I made a LOT more mistakes than at home. The action on mine is much lighter. OK, so I have to press harder on his keys. But I swear it seems like his keys are wider or spaced farther apart. Is that possible? And the music rest is higher which changes the direction of where I am looking (is this part just an excuse?). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1307216 - 11/17/09 01:13 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: T'sMom]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Absolutely know what you're talking about, as do others - there's usually a couple of threads in the works here that talk about it. My piano is old and it, too, has very light action. I can remember when the grand at the place the band practices felt really stiff. Then I got Casio fully-weighted keyboard with a much stiffer action, and now the grand feels normal.

It will come, with time you'll be more used to it. Are there others pianos you can play sometimes, even for just a little while at a time? One at church? In the foyer of the golf club? A piano store that you can visit and maybe play a little of a piece on several different pianos? At least that would get the "habit" part of your brain used to the fact that there's other pianos out there!

The music desk is also definitely a difference to get used to. I read once that when you memorize a piece of music you memorize all the surroundings in which you are playing - the color of the piano, where the lamp sits, the placement of the music desk - all of it. So, yes, you're right about that. The good news is that having enough awareness that you understood what was happening means, I think, good news for your piano playing - awareness while you're practicing and performing and taking lessons has got to be a + for the process! I think you'll get used to these differences, too.

I have heard that there is some variation in the width of piano keys, but don't know enough to comment. But the key weight and the music desk, you're right on.

Cathy

#1307233 - 11/17/09 01:37 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: jotur]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I’m by no means a highly skilled player, but I do enjoy trying. This past Sunday I played a couple of special songs for our song service and experienced exactly what you are talking about, except vice-versa.

My Tokai G180 grand piano (5’10”) has a medium heavy touch and a very nice feel. I love the action on my piano. Our Church has a 1970’s era 45” Baldwin studio upright with a touch so light you could almost breathe on the keys and it will play the note. Plus, the key-dip is shallow on the Baldwin. I much prefer my piano’s touch, and the difference was so palpable my playing this past Sunday was not on par for me. And, I’m not one to look for excuses for a poor performance (although I think I just did grin).

So, yes, the differences in the key-touch on different pianos can make a big difference in our performance, for better or worse.

By-the-way, this past Sunday I performed a new Southern-Gospel style song that I wrote; I’ll try to record it soon and upload it on to YT and post it on the piano bar.

Best regards,

Rick

Edited by Rickster (11/17/09 01:39 PM)

#1307323 - 11/17/09 04:55 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: Rickster]
Argerich5405 Offline

I know EXACTLY what you mean...hahaha. I used to practice on a digital piano with a rather light action, although the keys were weighted. I could never adjust to the piano my teacher had in the studio and my playing was just atrocious. But recently, I just purchased a grand piano...and let me tell you....now the action on the piano in the studio and at home are so much more in synch. I also seem to have more problems reading music in the studio too because the music rest sits much higher than where I normally have mine...but I guess I'll get used to it hopefully! It's normal...for beginners like us anyway (i'm told).

#1307356 - 11/17/09 05:43 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: Argerich5405]
T'sMom Offline

Thank you for the comments!
What I really need is to go practice on his piano, but that would be quite weird so of course won't happen. I have a friend with a Steinway upright, maybe I can try that one. Her action is fairly light too, from the few times I've pressed a key or two.
I suppose I can dream of buying my own Steinway some day.

#1307362 - 11/17/09 05:49 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: T'sMom]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: J&Smom
And the music rest is higher which changes the direction of where I am looking (is this part just an excuse?). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oh my gosh. And all this time I thought it was just me being crazy! When I started lessons, I was playing on a digital at home and an acoustic grand at lessons. Yeah, the feel of the keys was different and hard to get used to, but far worse was the difference in height of the music desk. I was so used to at home looking down on my music and being able to see my hands and the music at the same time. I mentioned this to my teacher, but I don't think he understood what bothered me about it so much.

Anyway, I replaced my digital with an acoustic upright, so now there's a better match between the music height. So now the thing that throws me off at lessons is that I can actually see the hammers moving up and down in the grand, and it's really distracting. Yeah, I know -- more excuses! laugh

#1307363 - 11/17/09 05:51 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: T'sMom]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
And the music rest is higher which changes the direction of where I am looking (is this part just an excuse?). Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I sure do. The difference in the piano action is just one of those things we all have to get used to if we're going to be playing other pianos than our own. The more experience you have the easier this will be.

The music stand height in some ways is more of an issue, I think, partly because it also is related to vision/glasses issues. One of my adult students found he couldn't use his normal piano glasses at his lesson on my grand because the music was that bit higher than his upright (which would be higher again than your spinet). I rigged up a system which involved a recipe book stand and assorted bits of felt and cardboard smile and succeeded in bringing down the music by about 4cm, enough to solve his problem. Then I found another of my adult students appreciated it too.

Maybe you could try propping your music a little higher on your spinet so that the change is not so drastic.

#1307472 - 11/17/09 09:44 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: currawong]
T'sMom Offline

Honestly, it would help if there were more light at lessons. At home I have a music lamp shining down right on the music. I am at that age where I don't quite need bifocals but things don't snap into focus immediately. I have distance glasses but take them off for piano and don't normally wear them for reading. Actually, it was better today but at the first lesson I felt I really couldn't see the music as well as I should. I started writing larger when I "annotate" (e.g. write in finger numbers or notes to myself like "get off the pedal".)

My teacher gave me a strange look when I mentioned this music stand issue, so it's nice to hear others have thought about it!

ETA: actually, today he told me to practice playing without looking at the keys at all.

Edited by J&Smom (11/17/09 09:47 PM)

#1307481 - 11/17/09 09:53 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: T'sMom]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Honestly, it would help if there were more light at lessons. At home I have a music lamp shining down right on the music. I am at that age where I don't quite need bifocals but things don't snap into focus immediately. I have distance glasses but take them off for piano and don't normally wear them for reading. Actually, it was better today but at the first lesson I felt I really couldn't see the music as well as I should. I started writing larger when I "annotate" (e.g. write in finger numbers or notes to myself like "get off the pedal".)

My teacher gave me a strange look when I mentioned this music stand issue, so it's nice to hear others have thought about it!
My guess is that he's sorted this vision issue out for himself so well he doesn't even remember it being an issue, OR he's young eek

#1307521 - 11/17/09 11:15 PM Re: My teacher's piano feel so different from my own [Re: currawong]
Seabelle Offline

Loc: Melbourne
Ah, I can relate to this all too well. Additionally, though, my teacher's black keys are narrower than mine, so all my carefully prepared scales don't seem so carefully prepared after all once I'm there. I'm not looking forward to playing my F# arpeggios this evening.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (antony, anotherscott, Anna Francesch, arX, 20 invisible), 1189 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253033 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission