Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1307331 - 11/17/09 05:02 PM Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning
ConradA Offline

Loc: Boston MA
I've enjoyed my Roland EP-7 for, gosh, about 18 years, but it is finally dying -- many keys don't make any sound anymore. I tried having it repaired, but $130 later and the problem keeps happening.

What's been very frustrating is that, despite 18 years of technology advances, no keyboard seems to come close to what I need, and that old Roland cost me only $800 in 1991. I could use some advice in finding a DP that meets my requirements:
- minimum 76 full-size keys (I don't *need* 88, in fact I'd prefer 76 for space reasons, but now nearly every DP comes with 88)
- I don't need full weighted action, but I want at least what I call "semi-weighted" action (you know, not the spring-type action on "toy" keyboards)
- damper pedal
- headphone jack
- not too massive in size
- < $1500
- adjustable tuning

It's that last requirement that seems to be my sticking point. The Roland had a little knob in the back that would tune the pitch slightly up or down by nearly a full 1/2 step in both directions. This is very important for me because I listen to existing songs and figure them out; many songs just aren't quite at the exact "normal" pitch, so being able to adjust it is hugely important to me. Maybe I haven't looked long enough, but I can't seem to find it on any keyboard, and I'm surprised and disappointed that it isn't a feature that is in the typical comparison charts or feature spec listings; don't piano musicians want to tune their instrument to the sound of other instruments or pitches?

I don'tt think my price range is unreasonable; many DPs I've tried and liked have been well under $1000, but just haven't had adjustable tuning.

I do NOT need (or want to spend money on) a huge "mixing board" of knobs and sliders and fancy voices. Although if it meant getting adjustable tuning, I'd live with it.

Can anyone please make some recommendations?

Thank you very much!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1307344 - 11/17/09 05:22 PM Re: Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning [Re: ConradA]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
If the music you are listening to is recorded music then you could adjust the pitch on the playback software and avoid the need to tune the piano.

But I think most digital pianos do have the ability to be tuned over the range of a full tone. They don't typically have a round knob but you'd use some up/down arrow keys.

The Casio Privia is typical and allows you to tune up 99 "cents" upward
and transpose -12 to +12 semi tones Combine those and you get a two full octaves in 1/100th tone steps.

I think the Yamaha P155 is the same, Korg and roland too. Many of then allow for different historic temperaments too. I spot checked a few web sites and tunning seems to be a common feature

But I'd rather just have software adjust the recordings to A=440. Well I'd would do that if my ears where good enough to hear the difference. I'm lost without an electronic tuner.

Edited by ChrisA (11/17/09 05:23 PM)

#1307435 - 11/17/09 08:25 PM Re: Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning [Re: ChrisA]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
ConradA, the Yamaha NP-30 can be purchased for under $300 and would appear to meet all of your requirements:

- 76 keys
- semi-weighted action
- damper pedal (may not be included)
- headphone jack
- compact and lightweight
- only $300
- transpose and tuning functionality

Certainly, the NP-30 is far from being Yamaha's top of the range digital piano, but it should be perfectly adequate for your needs.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1309346 - 11/20/09 04:57 PM Re: Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning [Re: Kawai James]
ConradA Offline

Loc: Boston MA
Thanks for your responses; I have found online specs for some of the models you mentioned, and found that some do have variable tuning (each company calls it something different, so it's hard to tell sometimes). I also think the salesmen at my local music stores were uninformed about this feature -- they gave me the impression that it was not on any of their models. I'll have to go back and investigate various models further.

ChrisA, if I'm listening to something on the radio or my iPod, I can't adjust the pitch of the song I'm hearing! :-)

#1309464 - 11/20/09 08:55 PM Re: Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning [Re: ConradA]
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
ConradA,

I don't believe your EP-7 has a weighted action, so I'd bet you will be happy with an NP-30. I continue to enjoy mine, connected to a 2.1 multi-media speaker system (all in my office). I also have/use an acoustic console piano, and switch between them, depending on who else is in the house. The "action" of the NP-30 is very pleasant compared to the 49-key midi controller I have for travel. The NP-30 is 49" wide--many of the lower priced DP's are only 3" more, so you might want to consider moving to a DP with a piano-like action.

Happy hunting.

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

#1309468 - 11/20/09 09:10 PM Re: Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning [Re: Bob M]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Note that the NP-30 does not have weighted or semi-weighted keys. It does have graded touch, that is the springs on the bass are stiffer than the springs on the treble.

From Yamaha's web site: Piano Style (Non-weighted) Graded SoftTouch

Rich

#1309975 - 11/21/09 06:28 PM Re: Need simple digial piano with adjustable tuning [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
DragonPP,

The NP 30 does not have "springs" at all--rather oval-shaped donuts of elastic material for each key, which is a little firmer at the top of the travel and then softens (I think this is what they market as "graded soft touch). I liked the "heavier" feel of the bottom full octave, so ordered three more one-octave strips from Yamaha, and replaced the lighter ones going up the board. It's not graded anymore, but I like the feel, which is more piano-like, than any other so-called "semi-weighted" action I have put my hand on. See my post on M-Audio and CME 49 key boards.

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Anne'sson, anotherscott, ajames, accordeur, 51 invisible), 1699 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156306 Topics
2295616 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin BB with Live Performance
by eugene_bb
07/31/14 12:50 PM
Temperament and Western Music Common Intervals
by prout
07/31/14 12:44 PM
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
07/31/14 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission