Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#130827 - 02/12/08 07:41 PM Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Begin Again Dave Offline

Loc: Quiet Corner, CT
I haven't heard either yet, but I'm pondering a choice between a 6 year old 50 with new warranty, asking price $9k that would require flying to check it out and a 23 year old 50, asking price $5k that's 40 minutes away. So it's the old far-cheaper bird in the hand vs. the less handy bird in the bush.

The far off one was built under the current ownership and I suspect has the newer, longer, more grand-like keys, but may or may not have the Renner action. Shipping would be more costly, of course, but there would be a warranty.

Can anyone offer pros and cons, as well as confirmation of my semi-informed notions about keys and action?

And oh yes! Does anyone know if M&H is building new Model 50's anywhere following last year's fire in the CA PianoDisk HQ?

TIA,

Dave

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#130828 - 02/12/08 11:07 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Dave, your semi-informed notions about the Model 50 keys/actions beats my completely UNinformed notions, so I can't help you there.

However, I will offer my 2 cents worth and suggest that you go and try out the nearby piano first. Assuming you like how it plays and sounds, go ahead and get a tech inspection, and assuming the tech gives it his/her blessing, why not buy the cheaper, more convenient piano?

Another option might be to try to enlist the aid of somebody in the city where the far away piano is and have him/her go audition it first to make sure it's worth making the trip.

#130829 - 02/13/08 12:11 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave,

The two pianos are entirely different animals. The older model was an Aeolian product made in Rochester, New York somewhere around the time of the parent company's demise. I've seen some really good ones, and some really bad ones. Worth a look, though, but bring your bargaining hat.

The 6 year old instrument is likely to be a very good piano. Seems like 9k is a fair chunk of change, though, but if you get warranty, delivery, and tuning, it could be worth a look.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

#130830 - 02/13/08 01:28 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Mason uprights built by the "new" owners of the company are fabulous pianos. If we had bought an upright when we were shopping some years ago, the new Mason 50 would have been the one. (We ended up with a Mason grand, having wandered into the grand section of the dealership and fallen in love with one.) You could do some research on whether the Model 50s are being built now by calling a Mason dealer. (Several Mason dealers post on this forum, including Rich Galassini at Cunningham Piano Company in Philadelphia.) I agree with Dave that the two pianos are completely different, and that the 6 year old Mason is likely to be excellent piano. I also think that Monica has a good idea--if you know someone in the city where the newer Mason resides, they could check it out for you before you make the trip.

#130831 - 02/13/08 01:41 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
M&HAAdriver Offline
Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010

Loc: Centennial, Colorado
FWIW there's a new 50 on ebay right now for $9K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASON-HAMLIN-MODEL-5...1QQcmdZViewItem

#130832 - 02/13/08 08:22 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Begin Again Dave Offline

Thanks, All! As I suspected, the less convenient one is likely to be the far better instrument. I'm sorry to say I don't know anyone where the newer piano is. *sigh*

M&HAAdriver - Acutally,the "new" one on eBay is the 6 year old piano!

#130833 - 02/13/08 01:55 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Well, you could always let us know the city, and maybe there's a PW member close by who'd be happy to go audition it for you. Believe it or not, many of us love to shop for pianos, even if for somebody else. \:\)

#130834 - 02/13/08 02:10 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
 Quote:
Originally posted by Begin Again Dave:
Thanks, All! As I suspected, the less convenient one is likely to be the far better instrument. I'm sorry to say I don't know anyone where the newer piano is. *sigh*

M&HAAdriver - Acutally,the "new" one on eBay is the 6 year old piano! [/b]
I am confused.

You say you don't know where this one offered on EBAY, IS?

All HIS INFO IS LISTED! It is in Tn.

And be careful...just because a listing price starts at xxx on Ebay, does not suggest that it is the BUYING price. People buy within minutes of the ending listing. That is the Ebay Game. ;-)

If, truly they want to sell it quickly and well below listing price, YOU DO NEED TO CONTACT THEM.

Even if it doesn't sell on EBAY (and they can rescind their offer, one way or another), you should contact them, make arrangements for veiwing the piano, and WHAT ELSE they may be able to offer for the sale. What is a $400 trip worth for a bargain like this?

I am sure that you, by now, know that cost of a new MH upright. But, just as a reminder, you should never purchase a piano without testing it out first.

Best Regards for your purchase....

LL

#130835 - 02/13/08 04:04 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
M&B Offline

Loc: California
Over the years in the piano business I have seen bargain hunters get scammed. Sometimes the eagerness to get an incredible buy sets you up to be an easy target.
Buy something you can afford at a reputable dealer near you area. You'll save time, headaches and contributes to your local economy.
Anyhow if you are considering something for 9K plus the cost of the airplane ticket; you have a nice budget for an upright by other makes besides M&H. ;\)

#130836 - 02/14/08 02:59 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
The Mason & Hamlin model 50 has always been one of my favorite uprights. The bulk of my experience is on those from the 1970's-1980's and the new ones. I don't believe I have ever worked on one from the 1950's as you suggest.

Aeolian Mason & Hamlins were plagued with fits and finish problems and lack of attention to detail. The basic scale design and materials were fine. When fully prepped and regularly serviced they were great instruments.

The new ones are a genuine step ahead in quality, but are hard to find and much more expensive (worth it if you've got it.)

#130837 - 02/14/08 03:37 PM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
M&HAAdriver Offline
Silver Expires April 2010

Silver member until April 2010

Loc: Centennial, Colorado
Just to be clear, I was not endorsing the idea of buying on eBay. It was just a data point.

I looked at eBay a bunch before buying my piano, never with the intention of buying there. One thing I learned is that very, very few of the pianos I looked at (M&Hs mainly) on eBay ever actually sold on eBay.

#130838 - 02/16/08 09:57 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
Begin Again Dave Offline

I have no intention of buying on eBay or any other way on-line. A lot of sellers use eBay for advertising. I will have to see, hear and play any piano I actually buy.

LilyLady - I didn't say I didn't know where it was, I said I didn't know ANYONE there who could, as was suggested, go try it in my stead.

I'm open to other suggestions as to good options for a $10k budget. My sense so far is that this buys a pretty good new upright, terrific used upright or a decent used baby grand.

#130839 - 02/16/08 10:59 AM Re: Mason & Hamlin Model 50
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
OOPS!

Musta skipped over the word *anyone*! Sorry 'bout that!

I believe that MH lists just under $20,000 so was more concerned that you weren't thinking it was a $10,000 piano new!

There might be a WONDERFUL used Yamaha U5 still available by a member here in your range. They are nice pianos. Check locally as well. LL

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ando, Akshay, 33 invisible), 1363 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153574 Topics
2250729 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
29 minutes 28 seconds ago
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
Today at 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission