Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1308670 - 11/19/09 05:34 PM best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD
hIt0sAwA Offline

Loc: South CA
Iam a fan of Yamaha. But after doing some research on this forum, I found out that maybe I could pay less for better piano, in terms of key feeling and function (such as kawai ce200 w wooden key - which can only be found on yamaha high end model- and Styles also)

So, it seems like I was totally wrong when ignoring other brands and only focusing on yamaha.

In conclusion: best digital piano fr 2k to 3k, regardless of brand?

any idea will be greatly appreciated smile

Edited by hIt0sAwA (11/19/09 05:34 PM)
not to kill time,
but to enjoy time.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1308920 - 11/19/09 11:59 PM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: hIt0sAwA]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: hIt0sAwA
I
In conclusion: best digital piano fr 2k to 3k, regardless of brand?

For $3K you can go top of the line. Take a look at the Roland RD700GX. If I had $3K to spend, and had to spend if on a DP I'd go for the RD700

But with that budget there is a huge selection
In the Kawai line way stop at the ce200? Go for the MP8II plus a pair of monitor speakers

Edited by ChrisA (11/20/09 12:03 AM)

#1308973 - 11/20/09 02:51 AM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: ChrisA]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Your budget opens many doors.

Re the wooden keys, the touch that you experience comes mostly from the mechanism of the action. Mechanisms differ. It'd be a good idea to audition as many Yamahas, Rolands, and Kawais that you can locate. See which one you prefer.

If the DP will be played at home rather than at gigs, you might want to include "home" DP's - pedals built into the cabinets - in your auditioning.

Some people who have criticized Kawai's actions say that it's difficult to make fast runs which require playing on the middle of the keys, rather than at the ends. If you play at a high level - I don't - that could be worth investigating.

Patience and persistence.

#1309020 - 11/20/09 06:11 AM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: FogVilleLad]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
Some people who have criticized Kawai's actions say that it's difficult to make fast runs which require playing on the middle of the keys, rather than at the ends.

Do you know if that statement holds for the Kawai "AWA Grand PRO" keys as well? I guess the problem with fast runs is for some of the simpler key types, like Kawai AHA? (And I guess the same problem goes with for example Yamaha's GH keys?)

#1309190 - 11/20/09 12:29 PM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: Huygens]
trolls99 Offline

Loc: Germany
I believe that the current Yamahas are overpriced. Roland and Kawai offer better pianos between 2000-3000 USD. One great offer for the money is the HP203.

#1309270 - 11/20/09 02:44 PM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: Huygens]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Originally Posted By: Huygens

Do you know if that statement holds for the Kawai "AWA Grand PRO" keys as well?
No, and that's why I recommend auditioning the DP's.

#1310066 - 11/21/09 09:51 PM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: FogVilleLad]
Trumpets Offline

I was looking for a piano in the same price range and finally decided on the Kawai CA-51 polished ebony which I got for about $2,400 after taxes. I mainly got it because the touch is amazing. Whenever I practice on it I feel like I am playing a really piano. I am very very pleased with my purchase. There are also the CA-71 and CA-91 which have the same action but cost more because of the additional gadgets and different speakers (CA-91).

#1310259 - 11/22/09 08:31 AM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: Trumpets]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Trumpets
I was looking for a piano in the same price range and finally decided on the Kawai CA-51 polished ebony which I got for about $2,400 after taxes. I mainly got it because the touch is amazing. Whenever I practice on it I feel like I am playing a really piano.

I've also got the impression (from wading through forum threads) that the Kawai keyboards are better than the Yamahas CLP/CVP (and possible also better than Roland RD-700GX?), but..

How is the sound from the speakers? Is the Kawai CA-51 mellow like the Yamahas or bright like the RD-700GX?

Or does the Kawai CA-51 differ between the Grand voices, some being soft and mellow and other glass crisp and bright? In that case, which of the CA-51 voices do you consider being mellow?

I might have the opportunity to listen to a Kawai CP-136 in a few weeks, so it would be most appreciated if you could help me in advance suggesting what I should try listening at. smile

#1310449 - 11/22/09 02:31 PM Re: best digital piano fr 2000 to 3000 USD [Re: Huygens]
Trumpets Offline

Originally Posted By: Huygens
How is the sound from the speakers? Is the Kawai CA-51 mellow like the Yamahas or bright like the RD-700GX?

Or does the Kawai CA-51 differ between the Grand voices, some being soft and mellow and other glass crisp and bright? In that case, which of the CA-51 voices do you consider being mellow?

I won't be able to comment much on the sound of the CA-51 because when I was looking for a digital piano I was focusing on the touch and didn't mind if the sound wasn't the BEST out there. I figured I could allways use excellent head phones or connect it to a computer which would allow you to get any piano sound you want with software.

I will say this, when I was able to play the CA-91 I was very very impressed with the sound, I don't think you could know it is a digital if you were blind folded. The CA-51 doesn't sound as good as the CA-91 but I am happy with it. But as I said, I didn't compare the sounds (mellow, bright, soft, crisp, or etc.) of digital pianos much.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (Almaviva, Alexander Borro, ajames, ando, anamnesis, angga888, 41 invisible), 1569 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76639 Members
42 Forums
158470 Topics
2327173 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission