2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello everyone!!

Out of sheer curiosity, how many people on this Forums - who don't label themselves as professional composers - have had their original composition(s) played by a medium/large ensemble? (bigger than, say, 8 instrumental parts)

If so, how did it happen? How did you get involved? Did you conduct the piece yourself, and if so what did it feel like? Did you gain much insight on possible improvements to your orchestration skills?

A share of experience would be wonderful!

Tar

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
When I was in high school I wrote a piano concerto that I performed with the school orchestra. How did it happen - I went to the orchestra teacher to pick her brain on string writing, and when I showed her what I had done already, she got real excited about it and asked if we could perform it at the school concert. It gave me _lots_ of insights into orchestration and instrumentation. Every rehearsal, I would hear things that I liked or didn't like, and it seemed like every rehearsal caused me to go into rewrites of one kind or another. And the final concert was just an amazing experience - it felt so cool to know that the orchestra was playing my work. It got a good audience reception too, and apart from a few flubs in the brass section, really came off well...

After all is said and done, the piece may not have been my best work, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world...

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I was commissioned to write a piece for a community orchestra. (I don't consider myself a professional composer, because even though I have had a few commissions it's certainly been nowhere near enough to live on!) How it happened? The conductor had heard some other works of mine and liked them.
I didn't conduct the piece myself but I sat in on rehearsals and made suggestions/answered questions.

Things I learnt included:
Don't make the high point of the piece include a cymbal crash if the only cymbal they have is a small tinny one grin

Du holde Kunst...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm studying composition, but I don't consider myself a professional composer in any way (that is, I don't make my living off it). Apart from some performances by music students, I've had three performances by professional ensembles (two of them for larger forces). One of them was a piece for orchestra which was an opportunity given to composition students to write a piece for the local symphony orchestra, the other two were for a contemporary music ensemble which plays students' compositions every year. I've posted recordings of them here:

Tableau for orchestra
[i]Chamber Concerto[/i] for 16 instruments
[i]Aphorism[/i] for solo bass flute and four instruments

Last edited by mrenaud; 11/20/09 07:12 PM. Reason: I just saw that the uploaded recordings are all gone. If you want them, send me a PM and I'll re-upload them.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission