Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#666622 - 04/19/08 09:17 PM HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
library lover Offline

Greetings,

I recently purchased a ROLAND HP207 Digital Piano. I would like to purchase a high quality pair of Monitors for use with my KORG RADIUS synthesizer and to also hook up to my Digital Mixer and PC for recording and mixing purposes.

I have heard good things about the Mackie HR824 MKII monitor and also the EVENT Precision Eight model. Does anyone have any experience with monitors and would you be so kind as to recommend a few others for me to audition.

Thank You,

Eddie

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#666623 - 04/20/08 11:52 AM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Hard to beat Mackie's at that price point but I did see a couple demo JBL LSR4328P packs on Sweetwater's site... they add automated room equalizing which might help in mixing.

For a little bit more money, suggest you also listen to a Tannoy Precision 8D. Their extended freq response might make a big difference with a synth. You also might want to listen to the the Dynaudio BM5A or BM6A which seem to be the most popular step up from the Mackies.

Howard

#666624 - 04/20/08 07:40 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
library lover Offline

hv,

Does the automated room equalizing take into account the entire room or are the mics positioned at the listeners sweet spot for mixing, playback, etc.

I am unfamiliar with the Tannoy Precision 8D Monitor and will research their website.

I failed to mention that I am looking for Active Monitors. They will be used for a wide variety of applications other than synth playback, cd playback. mixing, A/V editing, and I would also like to hook them up to my new ROLAND HP207 to see how it would sound through a mixer and the active monitors.

Thanks,

Eddie

#666625 - 04/21/08 01:40 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by library lover:
hv,

Does the automated room equalizing take into account the entire room or are the mics positioned at the listeners sweet spot for mixing, playback, etc.

[/b]
Yes, the calibration microphone is placed at the sweet spot. But I think it takes into account how the entire room reacts and affects the sweet spot. Apparently it will apply up to 72 notch filters (don’t quote me though). I have the JBL LSR4328P set-up in a very small area in my rec-room, each monitor is very close to a corner wall. I am not a professional, just an enthusiast, but the automatic calibration does seem to work well. When I first set them up, the bass seemed too pronounced making it difficult for me to hear the details in the mid-range, I ran the calibration, and presto!! I now hear the flattest responding monitors I have ever had the good fortune to actually own. I also like the connectivity of these and the fact they accept digital inputs.
I think the Events a very nice too, I researched monitors for over a year before I ended purchasing the JBL’s. the JBL’s were already out of my price range, making the Dyna’s way out of my price range.
btw, if you negotiate with a local store, you may be able JBL LSR4328P for $1200 or less. I have been watching them and the prices seem to be going up with all the hype these are getting.

#666626 - 04/21/08 05:02 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Thanks for the info, Triryche. I mix with a 10-year old pair of JBL 6208's myself. One of these days...

Howard

#666627 - 04/24/08 11:39 AM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Tim85 Offline

Loc: Middletown, RI
There are a few great brands out there. I would recommend taking a look at some KRK's and also some Adams. I have used monitors from both of these brands and have really enjoyed them. But, as other people have mentioned, the monitors will only really be as accurate as the room. I use the Adam A7s in my studio now and a pair of KRK V6IIs for monitors with my digital keyboard. JBL and Makie are also very good brands. Its hard to make a decision without sitting in a good room and comparing them side by side. Because you want to use them for more than just mixing you want to make sure that they do sound "good" to you. In my case, I feel the Adams are more accurate than the KRKs but I prefer to listen to music through the KRKs because they are more pleasing to my ears.

-Tim

#666628 - 04/24/08 05:31 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
wildpaws Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
You may also want to take a look at the Yamaha monitors, the old NS10MS and NS40M were seen in many pro studios for mixing/monitoring. I think both of those models have been discontinued, but they do have a new powered monitor series, MSP5 and MSP7, both are close field monitors.
Clyde

#666629 - 04/24/08 05:46 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Copilot Offline

Loc: Belgium, Europe
About the YAMAHA HS Powered Studio Monitors series:

Recently i went to my local KEY MUSIC shop here in Gent (Belgium/Europe) to find out if i could find some active (amplified) studio monitors to enhance the already good sound of my YAMAHA CLP-240.

Normally i play with my splendid SENNHEISERs HD 595, but when my neighbours are away, i like to make some more noise. (I live in an old appartment)

I considered a budget of 500$, cause i already found out that cheaper mostly resulted in coloured sound and/or muddy or 'boomy' bass, nice for looking movies but not for a digital piano.

After a lot of comparing these were my conclusions: (local price converted to USD)

-1. YAMAHA HS 80M : very good, almost no colouring, nice deep and detailed bass. (but 775$ /pair!)

-2 or 3 ?. ALESIS M1 Active MK II : Good, maybe a bit more coloured, a bit less detail in the lower bass. (430$ /pair)

-2 or 3 ?. YAMAHA HS 50M : good, much like the HS 80 M but (of course) less deep bass. (490$ /pair)

-4. BEHRINGER B 2031 A : a lot more coloured, less detail than 1,2 and 3 (385$ /pair)

-5. KRK RP 5/6/8 : less than the BEHRINGERs, muddy and not much detailed bass. (430-720-775$ /pair)

So i really liked the YAMAHAs HS 80M but found out that quality has it's price!

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...RODUCT,00.html#

Review here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/yamahas80m.htm

For the second and third place i couldn't decide between the Yamahas and the Alesis. I think this is a matter of personal taste.

And YES the MACKIEs HR824 and HR624 are even better but above my budget and i doubt i should hear the difference in my 6 at 8 meter livingroom ...

;\)

#666630 - 04/24/08 10:14 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
wildpaws Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
You are correct about quality having it's price (most of the time). I have found over the years that I'm often better off to stretch my original budget to the next step up and get something that I'll be pleased with for a long time instead of needing to upgrade in a few months. I've been using a larger pair of Yamaha and EV speakers for years.
Clyde

#666631 - 04/25/08 07:13 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
ere Offline

Loc: UK
Copilot,
How did you test all these monitors? Did you bring your keyboard into the shop? I 'm considering buying a set of monitors (your description of yamahas sounds very tempting) but i need to to find a place/method to test them...

#666632 - 04/26/08 05:17 AM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Copilot Offline

Loc: Belgium, Europe
Ere,

I first did some research at the net about powered studio monitors.
They had a Yamaha CVP-305 in the shop and i brought my USB stick with my favorite MIDI pieces with me.
So i asked them to connect some speakers available in the shop and then ik took my time!
(I bought my CLP-240 there so they were very patient...)

;\)

#666633 - 04/26/08 11:06 AM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
ere Offline

Loc: UK
I see, thank you very much!
I wish I had such a well stocked shop locally... I 'll probably have to go a more standard route - taking a CD with piano music and listen to it through different monitors in the shop...

#666634 - 04/28/08 06:18 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
library lover Offline

I purchased the EVENT ASP8 Powered Monitors on sale at Sam Ash Music for $700 pair demo. They seem to have a problem at my home with the tweeters emitting a high level of noise even ehen nothing are hooked up to them. The tweeters do "SHHHHHHHHHHHHH" - you know like a high powered hissing sound. I called the Sam Ash Music Pro Center and spoke with the salesman who sold me the monitors. He explained that ALL powered monitors make this hissing noise and it is a function of their design. I'm not buying htat explanation because i own a small pair of Edirol MA-10D Micro Monitors that I use for my PC and they are dead quiet.

I went for the EVENTS because they wereon CLOSEOUT SALE and because they are MIDFIELD Monitors and not near field. Sam Ash is going to allow me to exchange them for something else and I was thinking of the M-Audio 8" Active Monitors for use with the KORG RADIUS Synthesizer.

What do you think???? I can affoord the JBL with room correction technology but I think they are NEAR Field. I need midfield or wide dispersion monitors because of the room size 20' L x 14' W with 8' ceilings. Besides running the Korg Raidius through them I also use a mixer and run a CD player to listen to music.

I have a teachable spirit and am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Eddie

#666635 - 04/29/08 01:32 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

How far would you be sitting away?
I'm no pro, but you'd have to be sitting pretty far back not to feel the sweet spot on the JBL's.

FWIW, JBL has a rebate, $100 for 4326 PAK and $200 for the 4328 PAK, not sure how long that's going on for.

I purchased the 4328PAK like 5 days before the rebate started, go figure. \:\(

#666636 - 04/30/08 07:34 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
library lover Offline

Thanks Tryche! Does the JBL room correction function really work as advertised? According to the Ad all I have to do is position the monitors and mike in the room and the software does the rest. Wham! Instant Gratification according to the literature.

Eddie

#666637 - 05/01/08 03:32 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am not a pro, just an enthusiast, but to my ears, yes, it really works, and seems to work really well. I have them fairly close to corners, in a small cubby of my rec-room. You do not even need to connect them to a computer to run the RCM. Obviously EQ-ing for an untreated room is just a band-aid,and keep in mind, when you run the calibration it is calculating for where the mic is, and sometimes funny things can happened within a few inches depending on the room, but for my purposes the JBL’s perform better than I expected, and so far my experience has been that the stereo image has a wide enough dispersion that I am able to move about freely in my humble little corner (and they look so damn sexy!!)When I have people over for cards I re-aim them towards the poker table and stand the mic in the middle of the table to recalibrate and the difference is noticable. The one thing I did not like, and I don’t know if it was an anomaly, is straight out of the box when I powered them up, the volume was at 100%, good thing I had no signal going to them. I have the digital out from my pc running to these and the analogue outs from either my DP or my guitar amp modeler (no mixer yet), and I can simply toggle between inputs. With the speakers being networked, you only need to push one power button on either speaker or the remote to power all of them on or off.

#666638 - 05/01/08 08:28 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
library lover Offline

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I think I will get either the 6" or 8" model.

Eddie

#666639 - 05/05/08 09:46 AM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you get them, don't forget the rebate!!

#1309368 - 11/20/09 05:30 PM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS [Re: Copilot]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Copilot
-4. BEHRINGER B 2031 A : a lot more coloured, less detail than 1,2 and 3 (385$ /pair)

When you wrote 'coloured', did you mean that the sound is distorted?

Would you consider the Behringer to be unsatisfactory or exhausting to use for longer or shorter time?

#1309604 - 11/21/09 04:40 AM Re: HIGH QUALITY MONITORS [Re: library lover]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: library lover
I purchased the EVENT ASP8 Powered Monitors on sale at Sam Ash Music for $700 pair demo. They seem to have a problem at my home with the tweeters emitting a high level of noise even ehen nothing are hooked up to them. The tweeters do "SHHHHHHHHHHHHH" - you know like a high powered hissing sound. I called the Sam Ash Music Pro Center and spoke with the salesman who sold me the monitors. He explained that ALL powered monitors make this hissing noise and it is a function of their design. I'm not buying htat explanation because i own a small pair of Edirol MA-10D Micro Monitors that I use for my PC and they are dead quiet.

I got this info from another forum.

If the monitors produce any sound without being connected to anything else than the power cord, the monitors are most likely faulty or very cheap.

If the the monitors produce sound when connected to the signal cable XLR/RCA there is some kind of ground connectivity problem (soemwhere in the audio system) which probably can be remedied by making the right ground connections. Don't ask me how that is done, though.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First Pianniversary
by PhilipInChina
2 minutes 31 seconds ago
Explanation article - False Beats
by Beemer
38 minutes 27 seconds ago
Kawai Mp7 advice / help
by IMOL
Today at 08:57 AM
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Who's Online
129 registered (anotherscott, ando, barbaram, BB Player, Arizona Sage, 36 invisible), 1444 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76592 Members
42 Forums
158376 Topics
2325615 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission