Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1309717 - 11/21/09 11:11 AM Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc
EltonRach Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi all - saw this excerpt in an advertisement by an investment bank quoting a swiss piano tuner.

I realise that the choice of vocabulary can change depending on culture and language background - but I found this Swiss Steinway concert technician's description of piano sound and cultural preferences quite different to the language that's been used on this board.

Thought it might be of interest to some of the readers on this board.

--------------

Are there country-specific differences between concert technicians? If so, what are they?

Yes, of course. Japanese technicians, for instance, have a completely different attitude to sound aesthetics from us. That starts with the humidity, which of course is much higher in Japan. The more water there is in the air, the softer the tone. The ideal sound for the Japanese is a sweet, round, soft tone. Steinway, on the other hand, doesn’t want that at all. We want a very clear, brilliant, rounded tone. Or in France: there, they prefer thin, softer tones, tones with a different kind of elegance. The technicians naturally bring their own idea of the ideal sound with them. It’s always fascinating to see.

What is the difference between a German and an American Steinway?

The construction is exactly the same. However, they do differ in small details such as hammer quality, felt quality, hammer construction – the intonation setup in the USA is completely different to that in Europe. The character of the sound is consciously different because the sound aesthetic in America is not the same as the one we have here.

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:sTIAupNRRRUJ:www.ferrierlullin.com/global/en/juliusbaergroup/brands/advertising/georgesammannn+Georges+Ammann+concert+technician+french+clear&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=hk

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1309729 - 11/21/09 11:33 AM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: EltonRach]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: EltonRach
Yes, of course. Japanese technicians, for instance, have a completely different attitude to sound aesthetics from us. That starts with the humidity, which of course is much higher in Japan. The more water there is in the air, the softer the tone. The ideal sound for the Japanese is a sweet, round, soft tone. Steinway, on the other hand, doesn’t want that at all. We want a very clear, brilliant, rounded tone. Or in France: there, they prefer thin, softer tones, tones with a different kind of elegance. The technicians naturally bring their own idea of the ideal sound with them. It’s always fascinating to see.

Interesting, but I assume this is just an opinion? I would think pianists anywhere want a piano to be able to play at all dynamic levels. "Thin" is usually not very positive as description of a piano's tone. I've never heard anyone at PW with members worldwide say "I love piano's thin tone".

#1309946 - 11/21/09 05:51 PM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: pianoloverus]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Unless things have changed in the last few weeks I'd not describe most Japanese-built pianos as having a, "sweet, round, soft tone." Indeed, these terms could better be used to describe the traditional sound of (at least the smaller) Stenway pianos.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1310051 - 11/21/09 09:23 PM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: Del]
EltonRach Offline

I did think that the words used to describe the sounds would be controversial given what I read in this forum.

I do wonder though whether sound changes depending on the humidity in the air. Hence a Yamaha may not be "bright" when the conditions are very humid.

Perhaps some scientists among the PW readers could help?

#1310099 - 11/21/09 10:57 PM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: EltonRach]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
These words are not true tone describing words. They are borrowed from other senses. In that usage, they usually mean different things to different people, especially people from different cultures and mother tongues. One person's "bright" may be another person's "sweet". There are only two objective ways to describe tone, they are, volume and pitch.

Imagine a world where there is no word to describe colors. Everybody just invents their own way to communicate with others the colors they see. A person sees a color and tells another person he sees a "sweet" color. A second person sees the same color but tells the first person it's a "round" color. They pretend to understand each other! Things like this happen from time to time in this forum.

#1310219 - 11/22/09 04:34 AM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: EltonRach]
Gregor Offline

Loc: Münster, Germany
Originally Posted By: EltonRach

I do wonder though whether sound changes depending on the humidity in the air. Hence a Yamaha may not be "bright" when the conditions are very humid.

Interesting question. I play in a band and I noticed, that on some days the sound in the practice room is very nice, but on other days extremely bad. I guess every musician knows that phenomen. I guess this has to do with climate differences, particularly humidity and temperature.

The speed of sound depends more on temperature then humidity:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-airpressure.htm

If speed of sound influences the perception of tonal qualities I don´t know. But time of reverberation definitely does. I read that the time of reverberation highly depends on humidity. In the range of 2 to 3 Khz the difference may be up to 0.5 seconds.

Gregor

#1310231 - 11/22/09 06:20 AM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: Gregor]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
There are several components of the piano that change with humidity in ways that can affect its tone performance.

Felt is hygroscopic. As relative humidity change felt will take on or release moisture. Just how much this changes the tone of a piano depends on the design and construction of the specific hammer. Generally the changes are gradual and are not noticed by most pianists.

Wood is also hygroscopic. The soundboard panel will swell and shrink with changes in relative humidity. These changes will have an effect on the overall stiffness of the soundboard system. Generally speaking, during periods of high humidity the extra stiffness of soundboard system will very slightly decrease acoustical power and increase sustain time. As the soundboard panel dries out the reverse takes place.

Again any tonal changes this causes are usually not noticeable but because changes in soundboard stiffness will also alter system resonances voicing can also change. Occasionally a spurious resonance can change enough that a pianist will request voicing changes on particular notes. Of course, with the next change in the weather cycle the pianist will be wanting the voicing changed back again. This can get a little hard on hammers.

During dry weather the soundboard will give up moisture and, along with it will go some of its stiffness. Again, this is usually not noticeable but as some pianos age the tonal changes can become increasingly noticeable through the killer octave region.
ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1310237 - 11/22/09 06:40 AM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: Del]
James Senior Offline

Loc: England
Might you describe this recording of a Pleyel as 'thin'?
you might do...(try around 2:00 mins if you don't want to listen to it all)
Cziffra plays on Pleyel

This came as a surprise to me as it's quite different to the Gaveau recordings of Cziffra and Poulenc you can find.

Maybe Yamaha's are lovely and warm in japan, but once they're shipped over to lower humidity climates they become....
:-D

#1310261 - 11/22/09 08:37 AM Re: Piano sounds - Steinway , Japanese, French, etc [Re: James Senior]
EltonRach Offline

There's a GC1 at a relative's home that I play on when we visit from time to time. I always had the feeling that the piano sounded particularly nice at times, and at other times the sound was less "full". But I thought it was all in my head. Perhaps it's the humidity difference between the rainy monsoon season and the dry season. The piano's tuned twice a year but has never been "voiced".

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 10:13 PM
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
09/22/14 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
09/22/14 05:39 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (A Guy, a-z0-9, Anne'sson, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1384 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157699 Topics
2316360 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission