2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Several members of my family have asked what I want for Christmas this year. I told them I have everything I need, all I wanted was food on the table and my family around me.

But, they still keep pushing me..... "Surely dad there must be something I can get you!"

Well, there is, I must confess...."I'd like to get back onto The Sudnow Method, join the Students Club and integrate with everyone on the forum there."

I'd like to make a plea to the good folks at Sudnow to ask that I am given ONE last chance and rejoin. I promise I will abide by the rules!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Ragtime Clown:

Though I can't help as per your request because I have not been involved over there for years, I wish you the best in trying to get back to that site. The Sudnow method is well worth the effort. I would suggest you might write the moderator over there a personal email and maybe work out something that makes him feel comfortable if, for whatever reason, things don't work out. Given the posts I have seen from you over the past month or two, it would seem to me that you could convince him to give you another shot.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Tony, thanks for your response.
I have emailed the moderators and website guru but have received NO replies. I have also tried to pay the membership fee on THREE occasions again and each time it was refunded.

Here I am, willing to take part and meet new friends and I am completely snubbed!

I don't understand. If you sign up with The Sudnow Method you are not allowed to stop or quit for a while? They won't let you sign up again? Maybe it is too personal but if not, why? Or is that just their rule? I have thought of looking into the method but this has me backing up the bus!
???
Richard

Old Wulitzer
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richard,

To put the record straight it is only fair to tell you that I joined The Sudnow Method and a few days later requested a refund as I was still taking lessons. I decided to shelve it until it was a more suitable time, as lessons were quite demanding.

I decided soon after to rejoin, which I did. The people at Sudnow were considerate and patient with me however I just didn't give it the time it required so I pulled out again. This time, without a refund.

Sometime later, having read David Sudnow book 'Ways of the Hand' and 'I Could write a Book', I approached the admin people there to allow me to restart but they declined.

Please don't let my personal experience come in your way, it is a great resource and the Students Club could be really useful - I just messed up!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Now THAT was a very honest and fair reply, Ragtime Clown. I am impressed! smile ...and I hope Richard takes your words to heart and decides to get into the Sudnow method too.

I just want to remind you that you CAN work on the Sudnow method by yourself and discuss it here in the forums. I am not saying anything about you or your past experience here, but instead highlighting the fact that Sudnow originally designed the course to be essentially done in isolation with the OPTION of people getting together to form a (sort of) study group. What you would do is make time every day to just plunk away at those chord shapes until they start to sound like songs. Sudnow modified his course presentation (but not the basic facts or materials regarding voicing and that stuff) - his manner of speaking. Originally, the recording of the seminar had a lot more of his philosophizing in it, where he talked about the need to go off by yourself for extended periods and just work the material out day by day.

Sudnow described the learning process as per his method as a "Zen-like" approach that is unlike anything that our culture is really ready to embrace. He took a lot of that stuff out in later versions of the recorded seminar, but I am telling you about it here so that, if you have the Sudnow materials, you will know that you can forge ahead on your own - because that is how Sudnow conceived the course. The site and everything about it came MUCH later - by at least 10 or 15 years. Sure, it would be helpful to be able to talk to the folks there - but it is not a necessity. In fact, forums can be a distraction and a way of avoiding actually sitting down to the piano regularly. I don't mean that as being directed at you at all. I do mean that this is a fact of human nature. Though Sudnow did not talk about forums and the internet in his course (because he developed it before these were commonplace), he did talk about doing essentially the same type of "avoidance" (a term from the "War of Art" by Steven Pressman) in the form of TV watching and that sort of thing.

You have apparently been taking lessons and made progress in that direction. Whether you are or are not doing that now, that experience will go a long way to helping you get off on the right foot with the Sudnow method. I had no lessons and there were no groups during the first year that I worked with the method. Yet, at the end of that year, I had both "Misty" and "As Time Goes By" AND (because there were no other "dot songs" back then), three or four of my own well in hand. I actually got away from the "hard core" Sudnow method through my involvement with the Sudnow group. That was not the fault of the group at the time, but instead because I wanted to do other stuff by then, and exactly as Sudnow predicted, I got away from it altogether until much later. ...lessons to be learned. smile

I sincerely hope that bit of information/insight is helpful for you.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 11/23/09 06:32 PM.

Roland V-Grand
I am very gratified to read these additional posts. I very much appreciate the explanation and do understand that it was difficult to write. Without reservation I will now look into The Sudnow Method as a possible addition to my current efforts (AIO #1) to learn piano. Thank you very much RC and to you Tony for your extra caring response.
With much respect,
Richard

Old Wulitzer
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richard, I am so glad that you have found some satisfaction in my post. After three years of weekly piano lessons I listened to the Sudnow seminar weekend recordings. He totally changed my thinking and views to both lessons and playing the piano.

Unfortunately, it took me sometime to realise that and now I am in this situation, all my own doing. As TonyB correctly has pointed out that I have all the downloaded resources to work on my own, I really thought it would be nice to be part of the Sudnow community and access the forum too.

I would like to offer my hand of apology to Markham, as I have done on many occasions, and ask if he would re-consider my request for re-entry to the programme and Student Club.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
?

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission