Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1310007 - 11/21/09 07:45 PM CVP-201
Jeffrey Blais Offline

Loc: FL
I could sure use some advice. I am searching for an electric keyboard/piano for my daughter(6 years old) to practice her lessons on. Her teacher strongly recommends a clavinova for the graded hammer keyboards. I have found one on Ebay pretty close to my house. It is a CVP -201 and the price is $900.
Is this a good keyboard/piano to learn on?
Does the price sound fair?
We have a maximum of around $2000 to spend, should we be looking for a newer model?
Any help with these questions will be greatly appreciated. I thank you for your help,

Jeff

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1310059 - 11/21/09 09:40 PM Re: CVP-201 [Re: Jeffrey Blais]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The 200 series debuted in 2001. Like computer equipment, this is a long time back in digital piano years. The CVP series has additional features like rythms, drums, multi-track recording, hundreds of voices your beginner may or may not utilize. The 201 was the entry model in the CVP series at that time. Yamaha is just now showing the new 500 series in the stores. $900 might be a little high, but not too much. I would recommend looking into a mid level Yamaha CLP series one or two generations back if not a new model within your budget.

#1310138 - 11/22/09 12:04 AM Re: CVP-201 [Re: Jeffrey Blais]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Jeffrey Blais
I could sure use some advice. I am searching for an electric keyboard/piano for my daughter(6 years old) to practice her lessons on. Her teacher strongly recommends a clavinova for the graded hammer keyboards.... We have a maximum of around $2000 to spend,

You budget is certainly enough. With $2K to spend you can buy a very nice digital piano without being forced into a used model. There are quite a few new ones in that price range, Maybe a dozen that could work for you.

In the Yamaha line there are many digital pianos with the same "GH/GHE" key mechanism. The Clavinova is just one of many. YDP160 has the exact same keys and retails new for about $1,350.

I think the Kawai ce200 has even better keys than any Yamaha and also has some of the CVP features like rhythms for about $1800. The Casio PX130 has keys about like the better Yamahas and sells for $499. The Casio AP200 is $800 and has very good weighted hammer action keys too.

The teacher was right, you want the good keys. Yamaha makes several grades and you want at least GH/GHE (Yamaha uses the terms GH and GHE interchangeably now, the next step up is GH3. A step down would be GHS) The lowest priced Yamaha with the GHE keys is the P140 for just under $1K

Edited by ChrisA (11/22/09 12:12 AM)

#1310279 - 11/22/09 09:36 AM Re: CVP-201 [Re: ChrisA]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Having browsed through the manual online, I wonder if the CVP-201 has any graded hammer action..?

Maybe you should read the manual through, yourself?

I guess the current CVP-series go over your $2000 budget, but here is my view: Out of the new, modern CVPs I think the CVP-405 has the best price/performance (String Resonance + 4 channel sampling), with exception of the CVP-509 (though costly), and with the CVP-505 being a disappointment. The CVP-407 is also good, with its additional iAFC (sound-to-room-dimension adjustment) over the weaker, but price favorite CVP-405.

Otherwise I would say the CLP-series is worth taking a look at, but you will lose all the hundreds of synth-sounds that are in the CVP-series. Depending on you local dealer's prices I think you could go for either the CLP-340 or the CLP-370. You can compare features in this link.

Out of the Casio models I think the PX-830 fits well into your budget and the PX-830 makes a fair game compared to equally priced Yamahas. If you want more tones/voices (like the CVPs) you could go for the more expensive AP-620, which hopefully should fit your budget.

If you still want many sounds/voices/instruments, the Casio piano-synth with 670 tones/voices, but weak speakers; the cheap CDP-200R could be an alternative (probably ignoring the CDP-100 as it has few voices/tones).

There are also some Korg digital pianos worth looking at, the simple but heavy keyboarded; the Korg LP350 and possibly something from Roland (some feel Roland has a bright sound, including me, too bright sometimes, others like Roland's brightness).

There seems to be some kind of opinion in the forum threads that the Kawai keyboards have the best feeling in their price range competing to similar CLPs/CVPs. So you might look out for a not-too-old Kawai as well.

Edited by Huygens (11/22/09 10:22 AM)

#1310381 - 11/22/09 12:56 PM Re: CVP-201 [Re: Huygens]
Jeffrey Blais Offline

Loc: FL
I thank everyone who has been gracious enough to reply. Your information has provided me with many other options to consider.
Jeff

#1310453 - 11/22/09 02:37 PM Re: CVP-201 [Re: Jeffrey Blais]
Vid_w Offline

Loc: Slovenia
@ Huygens: Wait, are you saying Roland's sound is too bright for you? And yet you play a Yamaha?
That's, well, interesting.

@ Jeffrey: You should deffintaley try the Roland HP 203, which should still be in your budget (I think). It was simply amazing when I tryed it, much better than the similarly priced yamahas, but keep in mind that's just a personal preference. I like it for it's sound, and action, both of which are superb. The sound is a little richer and more mellow than Yamahas, and the kexs a bit heavier and more solid feeling IMO.

If that's out of your budget, you can also try the HP 201, which is basically a stripped down HP 203. Just make sure to get the Mahagony version, becouse it has the PHA II keayboard.

#1310476 - 11/22/09 03:17 PM Re: CVP-201 [Re: Vid_w]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Vid_w
@ Huygens: Wait, are you saying Roland's sound is too bright for you? And yet you play a Yamaha?
That's, well, interesting.

Well, I have mostly tried the Roland RD-700GX, which I have been considering to buy.

You can read my shop try-out, in this thread..

Maybe I mean something else than bright, maybe I feel the RD-700GX has too much treble? And that the Yamahas have more richness in its softer sound?

One thread where someone mentions that the Superior voice as muffled, I heard it as extremely bright, and the Ultimate that (to me) was only a bit less bright, one person perceives as really muffled. I don't know if it is the shop's setup (speakers, cables, DP settings, God knows, etc) that's wrong or my ears that're wrong, but the RD-700GX was inferior on the Grands compared to the CLPs.

So, if anyone knows what setting to apply to the Roland, please let me know, because I will be going back to the shop and hopefully be able to ask the shop personal to un-brighten the RD-700GX or I'll not buy it.

Edit: I didn't buy the P-85 based on its sound, but based on its weight.

Edited by Huygens (11/22/09 03:26 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (AZNpiano, AndrewAJC, A Guy, AmateurBob, Atrys, 26 invisible), 1169 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155804 Topics
2287755 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Personal monitors
by Tim K
25 minutes 31 seconds ago
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
Today at 01:41 AM
Casio PX5S. No soft pedal?
by Indra123
Today at 12:36 AM
Studio Monitor Info -- Zzounds
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Pictures of my VPC1 setup!
by newbies
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission