Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1309324 - 11/20/09 04:24 PM PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but..
Passion Offline

Would you keep it? I have a chance to send it back and get another, but it may have the same problem. The key was stuck and I pulled up on the black key next to it and it released. Seems to play fine, so should I keep it if there are no further issues?

Also there's a knocking sound in the high register, but it's not the action. It's built into the sound. When I turn the volume down I don't hear it, crazy. I use it with Ivory so it's kind of irrelevant but still weird.

Edited by Passion (11/20/09 04:26 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1309326 - 11/20/09 04:28 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Passion]
Huygens Offline

Loc: Sweden
no

#1309337 - 11/20/09 04:45 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Huygens]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
Send it back. Even if nothing else ever actually happens, you'll be imagining all kinds of weird noises and problems related to something that got broken.

#1309338 - 11/20/09 04:46 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: MarkL]
Passion Offline

Ok, thanks for the advice. I had another put on my card and sent out and I'll be sending this one back. Hopefully this depressed key issue isn't common.

#1309871 - 11/21/09 03:18 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Passion]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Wow. This is at least the 8th buyer of the new Privias who has key problems...it seems to me like at least half if not more of the buyers have/had a depressed key issue.

That's why I returned mine.

#1309897 - 11/21/09 04:16 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Nikalette]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Interesting, my PX-330 arrived with a stuck key that freed up just fine. I wish now I remembered which key it was as after reading the first post from Passion I can hear the knocking sound in the high register, most noticeably after F6 and higher. It's there on E6 too but the E6 sound is brighter and masks it. This is on most of the piano sounds. The struck key was if I remember right close to F6/F#6 but might not have been those keys.

Is it a fault on some models or a design problem?

Any one else with a PX-330 not hearing this. I found it clearer with headphones on.

#1310811 - 11/23/09 08:46 AM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: spanishbuddha]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Ran a pitch test today using the inbuilt speakers and my PX-330 is fine.

Went to the local music shop and played a few other DP's and keyboards, mostly Roland's, using their speakers and also my headphones. The other DP's and keyboards sound pretty much the same to me in the high registers using inbuilt speakers, but my own headphones were cutting off quite badly in the upper range leaving behind a wooden knock.

Came away with some nice new, quite expensive headphones, leaving behind a pleased salesman. They sound great on the Casio.

YMMV

#1310867 - 11/23/09 11:00 AM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: spanishbuddha]
Vincent L. Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
In the high register, I can hear the wooden knock ... on my acoustic as well as on the 2 DPs I owned. So it is properly sampled, I would say.

One thing most, if not all, DPs do not do well is the sound of the piano in the higher register where the piano has no damper for these strings. It does keep the strings vibrating with no damper pedal action as it should but then, it does not sound right when I depress the sustain pedal: the software adds sustains to the already naturally sustained strings, or it adds (too much to my taste) some sympathetic resonance.

Back to the original 1st question, I agree with Mark: if you can easily send it back, I would not keep it as I would think about the potential "damage" and not having the best instrument I could have had.

#1311070 - 11/23/09 05:34 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Vincent L.]
Passion Offline

Originally Posted By: Vincent L.
In the high register, I can hear the wooden knock ... on my acoustic as well as on the 2 DPs I owned. So it is properly sampled, I would say.

Back to the original 1st question, I agree with Mark: if you can easily send it back, I would not keep it as I would think about the potential "damage" and not having the best instrument I could have had.

You're right, it is properly sampled. For some reason it bothered me, so I went back to the showroom today to play the upper registers of their acoustics and listen closer, and I heard the same knocking sound. Upon closer inspection of Ivory (sampled software piano) all the pianos also do it in the upper registers, so that's a relief. So to spanishbuddha or anyone wondering about the "knocking" built into the sound of the upper DP register it does appear to be normal.

As far as sending it back I kept it until the replacement gets here, then I'll be shipping it off. Mine had the blue tape across the keys and when I pulled it off lo and behold the one key (A3 I think) was depressed. I pulled up on Bb and it sprang loose, but I still decided to send it back. (Though admittedly I've been playing the heck out of it with no further issues.)

Edit: Also I'd like to add one thing I don't like about my PX330: using the default piano samples, if I press a key too slowly or lightly it will not sound whatsoever. If you have one try it.

I've remedied this by using software piano through my PC, going to velocity/set and calibrating the min and max to my midi controller. But without this I have to admit it's extremely annoying, because at times I like to play with a light touch and it not sounding limits expression in that regard. I think it would also make me unable to play with a soft touch between piano lessons on an acoustic, so I will always have to practice through my PC.

But at least this way no matter how softly or slowly I touch, it at least sounds at the lowest velocity. When I get my new one I'll update if it is an issue with all of them or just mine, but I have a feeling it's the former. No problem if you use it with software piano, but if you plan on learning on it without be aware it may limit your expression and subliminally make your "softest" playing louder than it should/would be.

Edited by Passion (11/23/09 06:01 PM)

#1311072 - 11/23/09 05:37 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Passion]
BanditHH Offline

I played today with head phones and notice this sound also in the higher registers, first tought was, "Hmm bad sampled?" But Vincent L. explaination makes sense smile

#1311220 - 11/23/09 09:50 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: Passion]
susanmusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Passion

Edit: Also I'd like to add one thing I don't like about my PX330: using the default piano samples, if I press a key too slowly or lightly it will not sound whatsoever. If you have one try it.

I would want a digital piano to have this feature. That's how an acoustic behaves if you press the key slowly. There are numerous piano exercises where one presses some keys silently and holds them while playing other keys. One of my teachers jokingly called them the "Silent Depression" sets.

#1311249 - 11/23/09 10:15 PM Re: PX330 arrived with a depressed key. Got it to pop up, but.. [Re: susanmusic]
Passion Offline

Originally Posted By: susanmusic

I would want a digital piano to have this feature. That's how an acoustic behaves if you press the key slowly. There are numerous piano exercises where one presses some keys silently and holds them while playing other keys. One of my teachers jokingly called them the "Silent Depression" sets.

The force with which I'm pressing the keys and not getting a sound will get me a very soft, but still audible sound on an acoustic (I've tried this). There is some force to my touch, not feather-like. So it may be that this is intended, but the level of force where it stops making sound just seems too soon.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
58 registered (bennevis, AliAlkhiro, 36251, beeboss, AZ_Astro, aesop, 12 invisible), 895 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315773 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission