2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I'm about to purchase a Casio Privia px-830, and since it's my first digital piano i will be doing ALOT of practice, which means i'll be using headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm quite settled on the Grado SR60i headphones, but if anyone has any other ones they'd recommend i'd be glad to hear them.

Many thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You might consider the various kinds of phones available.

The Grado you mentioned is an on-the-ear type. This SR60 is said to be very good for the price. But on-the-ear phones are not comfortable when worn for long periods.

There are many around-the-ear phones. These are much more comfortable.

Next ...

You can choose open phones, which will leak a bit of sound, allowing those around you to hear just a small amount of your piano sound (though it's just a minimal, tinkly sound).

Or you can choose closed phones, which seal in the sound.

For the money, open phones give better sound. So unless you really need to be utterly silent for the benefit of those around you, I'd choose open phones.

As for which are "best" ... those would be ones that you like best. You'll have to try them yourself.

P
P
I am still using my Sennheiser 595s, which are wonderful, but there may be better ones out for the price by now.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
[First decide if yu want "open" or "closed" headphones.

The open ones do not block sound as well. People standing close by will be able to hear you and you might hear sound from noise in the same room. They contain the sound well enought not to wake people.

The open phone have the best quality sound

closed headphones contain the sound better and isolate you from the environment. They block noise from TV in another room and others can't hear me playing . But it's harder to make good sounding closed phones because of the air trapped between the housing and the diaphragm

I use some low cost closed headphones AKG K77. the sound is not as good as my open K240 but good enough for practice. AKG makes some better closed headphones based on the k240. the k240 has been the industry recording engineer's headphone for decades. I prefer the k240 for recorded music but "closed" is so much better for practice.

You can also buy some home hifi type headphons but these are made for playing recorded music. I like the accuracy of studio monitor headphones and the AGK's have a nice self adjusting headband that I can wear for hours

But a lot of people now are using the in-ear earbuds. the ones that fit in like earplugs. These are very good too. I use a pair for practice outside the house because they are so easy to carry. They come in all qualities. At the high end they are very good. This is what most people on stage will be using (Ultimate Ears) The ultimate ears brand is I think the most common with profesional entertainers. But they are not cheap. Soe U.E. models, I think are custom fit by an audiologist so they are very comfortable but expensive.

I think the K77 do fine for practice and they cost about $40. Digital pianos are not hard to reproduce, you don't need hifi type headphones

Last edited by ChrisA; 11/21/09 08:53 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
ok, so the on-ear headphones are too uncomfortable for long periods of time?

And are the in-ear type comfortable for long sessions (1-2 hours)?

does anybody here wear in-ear for playing?

Last edited by Jordan Garrard; 11/21/09 09:16 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
It's up to what you are comfortable with, but if I had to practice with phones, I would use only the big "cans" that fit all the way around the ear. If the others say open models give better sound, I can see why and I believe them.

I can't listen to in-ear models for more than a short while. But hey, maybe I just haven't tried the good ones...

(I'm a piano teacher.)
G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
I bought a pair of Open over the ear headphones recently, the DT990 Pro by Beyerdynamic. I've used them for a few months now and find them very comfortable for reasonably long periods of use. By long I mean a few hours on the piano along with a few more hours listening to music whilst working.

Downsides other than cost and been rather large is that because they're open, you can hear everything going on around you. If you're in a fairly loud environment, open headphones are not a good choice as you'll end up increasing the volume which in turn can damage your hearing. But, if you're in a reasonably quiet environment, they're great smile

Although they do leak sound, I've not found this to be any problem at all at the levels I listen to you're hard pressed to hear anything more than a few meters away at night and even then it's very quiet. In fact, the keys on my DP make much more noise wink

Pros are they sound much nicer than any of the closed headphones I've tried and I find my head doesn't seem to get as warm wink

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Garrard
ok, so the on-ear headphones are too uncomfortable for long periods of time?

And are the in-ear type comfortable for long sessions (1-2 hours)?

does anybody here wear in-ear for playing?

Yes those little ones that smash your ears, their only advantage is cost and maybe they are semi-compact. But mostly there are just cheap.

I use both in ear and over ear type. My K77 are the "full size" type with the pads that go all around the ear but don't touch it. These are comfortable for long periods and seals the sound better. As said about these come in both open and closed styles. you trade sound quality for sound isolation.

I also use a pair of Sony in-ear types. There are three kinds of these and at first may appear alike. (1) The normal Apple stylr ear bud. These just kind of fit into the outer ear loosely. I don't think any of these are good quality. (2) the ones that look like earplugs and fit inside. These really do block sound. I can ware then "forever". I use them with my iPod outdoors on the sidewalks. Decent ones are about $35 and much better ones are around $100 Some people like these hate them. Sound isolation is very good. I can't hear people speaking unless they are close and speaking loud. Most brands come with three sizes of interchangeable (for lack of better term) "gaskets" and you select them based of the size of your ear. Some people don't like the feeling of plugs in the ears. I think you might get used to it. Buy a cheap pair of Sony EX71 and try.

I own each kind Over the ears, open and closed and some in-ear type. I recommend all of them. Each for a different purpose

J
OP Offline
J
i'm really surprised that no-one is recommending the on-ear type, are they really that uncomfortable? (because i was considering either the SR60i or Bose on-ear, but if on-ear phones are so bad i'll reconsider)

So now i'm trying to decide wether i'll go for over-ear or in-ear, i'm just not sure if the in-ear are going to sound good enough relative to the over-ear?

which of the ear types sound best?

Many thanks.

D
D
I have a pair of Sony Movie/Cinema headphones, paid $25 CAD for them on sale. Nice Sony quality, sturdy, long cord. They are large, over the ear type, and they are very comfortable for long periods of time. I have a real big head, too. The sound is incredible for the low price I paid for them. I looked at all the expensive ones, but went with these and they work perfectly for me with my P120, my DGX through the computer, and for music. My two cents worth...

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
I think that it'll be difficult to beat the sound of Sennheiser's open 'phones. I've been using the HD 600's for a couple of years and they have superb reproduction. The only problem is that they're pricey.

T
T
i'm really surprised that no-one is recommending the on-ear type

In-ear, on-ear, over-ear can all be comfortable, but a model can be comfortable to some but not others. It is important to try them on if possible.

For example ... You originally considered the Grado SR60i. I recently bought the Alessandro MS1i that is physically almost the same. The headband (being a metal band inside) can be "stretched" so that you can adjust the pressure applied to your ears to your liking. To me the lack of padding in the vinyl headband cover results in discomfort on the top of my head, though many others (probably with full hair :-)) do not have this problem. I plan to replace the cover with a leather padded one, which should resolve this issue. It sounds great by the way.

Your are correct in focusing on sound quality. Again, there are models in all three types that sound good. You might want to visit headroom.com or head-fi.org to get a sense of what sounds good in your price range and then if possible try them on before purchasing.

What is your budget?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sennheiser HD600 are often recommended here, they're expensive though. HD595 or even HD555 might be good budget alternatives.

Modartt - developers of Pianoteq - recently posted that their standard headphones are AKG K240

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
H
H
Why is it important to have studio (monitor?) headphones?

Normally there are a lot of distant noise going on around, like cars on the street, wind blowing outside, washing machine in the basement, someone walking by, your own movements producing sounds and so on.

Having read several Internet reviews, I would say it would be interesting to hear someone comment on for example (a specific Bose) or the Sennheiser PXC450, with noise reduction, which, by some reason, produces a little noise (by itself), but makes the overall sound become better.

P-85 cheap plastic imitation; not because of sound, but weight.
J
OP Offline
J
I'm not intentionally looking for studio quality, its just that if i'm going to spend around £50, i may as-well pay slightly more and get a pair that i can use for everything. (which is part of my reason for leaning towards on-ear, since over-ear are slightly impractical for ipod use why walking down the street, etc.)

But i could buy a pair dedicated to piano usage, i'm just looking for the best comfort:sound:price ratio, more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also considering the Bose on-ear phones, any reviews?

Last edited by Jordan Garrard; 11/22/09 08:15 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bose are generally considered to be overpriced, you can do much better for your money.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
J
OP Offline
J
oh really? i assumed since bose were such a prominent name that they must be a sure bet, i'm considering just buying a pair of the Sennheiser CX 300-II and seeing if they're comfortable enough for long term usage (if not ill pick up some over-ear phones)

So basically im asking are the Sennheisers a good idea?
Also i'd like to say that really i was taken with the Grado SR60i on-ear phones, so i'm hoping someone is going to tell me how good they are so i can justify the purchase.

Also one last thing, has anyone here heard of / used "skullcandy" headphones? any good?

Last edited by Jordan Garrard; 11/22/09 01:27 PM.
i assumed since bose were such a prominent name that they must be a sure bet.
Bose is all about brand cachet and little else. They've been making overpriced goods for over 30 years now.

Back then, they figured they could shove a half-dozen little cheap speakers in a box, overdrive the bass to compensate for the lame speakers (using an expensive, proprietary equalizer that required a mongo amplifier to go with it), and surround all that with the a glitzy ad campaign. People bought into the name without realizing they were being taken. Notice how no other name brand has followed the path that Bose took?

In my book, Bose means "no-goes".

Look elsewhere. Get better quality. Pay less. [end-soap-box] smile

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280's that I think sound nice. These are noise cancelling studio monitor headphones. I wear these for several hours at a time, and I don't find them uncomfortable at all given that they are big gaudy looking things. Very nice sound quality for the money. Stay away from Bose. Not worth the money.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 11/22/09 02:55 PM.
T
T
Also i'd like to say that really i was taken with the Grado SR60i on-ear phones

If you are considering the Grado SR60i, you may also want to consider the Alessandro MS1i for about the same price (free shipping world wide):

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

It is based on Grado components (some says SR80i, say even says SR125i), and I read from head-fi.org forums that the Alessandro tends to sound more neutral than comparable Grados. I have not compared them using the same music and the same set up myself but I do remember SR80i being a bit agressive in the treble. As mentioned, except for the headband (lack of padding), I am very happy with the MS1i, and the issue can be fixed with a better headband cover that I will purchase soon.

SkullCandy is more about style than sound from what I read elsewhere. I would suggest staying with brands like Grado, Alessandro, Sennheiser and other headphone brands already suggested in posts above.

One thing with SR60i/MS1i though, they are open headphones, which means you'll hear sound around you, which is not a bad thing when walking on the street, but if your need sound isolation (e.g. while commuting in the tube or a bus) then you may want to consider other designs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission